Wheel 4
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Red wheels on salsa red vert ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Red wheels on salsa red vert ?

After a couple weekends of trying to power wash, scrub, peel, and chew off the plastidip that the previous owner put on my senta wheels I'm throwing in the towel. I starting looking this afternoon and pretty much decided on Vertini, they are reasonably priced, strong, rotory forged, and light (approx 23lbs for a 20x10.5) .. .I'm over the black wheel thing & was set on just plain silver and then I saw that they offer a red option. I know a popular (& expensive) option on Porsche models is to get the upgraded wheels in matching colors. This past summer I saw a guards red 911 turbo with red oem wheels that was drop dead gorgeous, so I'm thinking it might be an option for the xkr. It will definitely be sporty / loud but could look great , if the shade of red is off might look terrible. Which wheel would you guys go for ? For ease of use I identified the wheels numerically.

Salsa red / charcoal

Old 04-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Senta wheels are still my favorite Jag wheel of all time. Refinish them to your liking for a fraction of the cost.

The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
80sRule (04-23-2021), barnsie (04-11-2021), guy (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Sure would be unique if the colors match, but kind of doubt it. As said above, just get your Senta’s refinished, $600-$700 and they could do it in a matching color, or original. When I had mine redone, I could have any color, but chose to stay original.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Sure would be unique if the colors match, but kind of doubt it. As said above, just get your Senta’s refinished, $600-$700 and they could do it in a matching color, or original. When I had mine redone, I could have any color, but chose to stay original.
did you have them powder coated or painted?. . I'm not wild about dropping the car off and leaving it for a week.. I guess I could leave it in the garage on jack stands

Old 04-10-2021, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRfangs
did you have them powder coated or painted?. . I'm not wild about dropping the car off and leaving it for a week.. I guess I could leave it in the garage on jack stands
Powder coated. In my case, I had just bought the wheels on eBay, so I just dropped them off, didn’t have tires on yet (but they would have unmounted and remounted as part of the job).
Think it took 3 or 4 days for the set (I was having 3 sets of wheels done, so I’d drop off a set, come back in a few days and pick up a set while dropping off another set, as I could only fit one set at a time in the car I was using to haul them).

Old 04-11-2021, 12:45 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Not a fan of colour matched wheels, i would go for a dark gray. Silver wheels on a red car doesn't look good to me.:-)

Old 04-11-2021, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

As you don't have black pack then I think silver looks best, regardless of colour match no one will really notice.

Less said about Red on red the better

Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Personally I am not a fan of coloured wheels, preferring a good silver or maybe a grey. But if I was to consider wheels in body colour, they would have to be in body colour. Even a slight difference would look terrible IMO, as though one had tried, and failed, to get a proper match. But it's just a personal thing really. For example, I cannot even begin to understand the craze for black wheels, which 'disappear' into the wheel arch often making the car appear to have large black holes where the wheels should be. Given how important the wheels are to the overall look of a car, I would think deliberately making them visually recessive is something people would strive to avoid. But, each to his or her own . . .

My Senta wheels are in very good, but not perfect, condition and they are on the 'to-do' list. When I eventually have them refurbished, they will remain in their factory colour. Personally, I would never fit 'aftermarket' wheels, no matter what they looked like.

Last edited by barnsie; 04-11-2021 at 05:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by barnsie
Personally I am not a fan of coloured wheels, preferring a good silver or maybe a grey. But if I was to consider wheels in body colour, they would have to be in body colour. Even a slight difference would look terrible IMO, as though one had tried, and failed, to get a proper match. But it's just a personal thing really. For example, I cannot even begin to understand the craze for black wheels, which 'disappear' into the wheel arch often making the car appear to have large black holes where the wheels should be. Given how important the wheels are to the overall look of a car, I would think deliberately making them visually recessive is something people would strive to avoid. But, each to his or her own . . .

My Senta wheels are in very good, but not perfect, condition and they are on the 'to-do' list. When I eventually have them refurbished, they will remain in their factory colour. Personally, I would never fit 'aftermarket' wheels, no matter what they looked like.
10yrs ago i liked the blacked out look (black car, black wheels, black trim, tinted) , now i agree 100% that they just "disappear". The previous owner also had the side vents wrapped in black which i removed. . .Also i have the aluminum luxury interior package which is a light silver

Old 04-11-2021, 05:41 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,017 Likes on 721 Posts

yeah... sorry.matching colours of car and wheels never looks good to me.
And like others, the Sentas are beautiful and most aftermarket look cheesy or cheap.

MarkyUK (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Aftermarket wheels kill design of the XK IMO. Could your current wheels handle a two tone pattern with red?

Vortex wheels with red two tone would look hot, or just as is. Best XK wheel pattern

Old 04-11-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,165 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Aftermarket wheels kill design of the XK IMO. Could your current wheels handle a two tone pattern with red?

Vortex wheels with red two tone would look hot, or just as is. Best XK wheel pattern

Vortex is my favorite design, too, but the problem is that the rears won't fit the OP's 4.2L XKR. Vortex wheels were introduced in the North American market on the 5.0L model, and because of the E-diff the rear offset doesn't fit on the 4.2L.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I still think chrome wheels look the best and really add some pop. I would refinish/chrome your senta's...

Old 04-11-2021, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,165 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Rim damage is inevitable with the low profile tires and 19" or 20" wheels on our cars. That's why I recommend against chrome wheels.

The problem with both (1) old-school real electroplated chrome and (2) the eco-friendly look-alike less costly PVD chrome is curb rash. Painted wheels can be DIY repaired and the paint touched up and blended in a small section. Chrome wheels have to be stripped and completely refurbished, a much more expensive process that can't be done DIY - both "real" and PVD chrome.

My Selena wheels came from the factory in a color called Shadow that was unique to the 4.2L 2009 XKR Portfolio models. When I had all 4 wheels completely refurbished a couple of years ago, I told the shop foreman what I wanted. He explained that using a black base coat with a hypersilver top coat followed by clear coat would do what I wanted. He left the barrel black, which made the face of wheel really pop. I waited a week to let the paint dry and then ceramic coated the wheels to make them easier to clean. Here's how they turned out. Note that the thin indented center spokes are chrome overlays.

Front:

Rear:

mosesbotbol (04-12-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:13 PM

Despite my previous feelings on black wheels I actually dropped my Senta’s off to get powder coated gloss black. I love the style of the senta wheels and after seeing the Poltrona Frau Limited Edition I am going to try and replicate the color combo. I'll probably wind up pulling off my side vents and rear trunk trim to get them color matched salsa red. Will post some pics after wheels are back on the car

mosesbotbol (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Rim damage is inevitable with the low profile tires and 19" or 20" wheels on our cars. That's why I recommend against chrome wheels.

The problem with both (1) old-school real electroplated chrome and (2) the eco-friendly look-alike less costly PVD chrome is curb rash. Painted wheels can be DIY repaired and the paint touched up and blended in a small section. Chrome wheels have to be stripped and completely refurbished, a much more expensive process that can't be done DIY - both "real" and PVD chrome.

My Selena wheels came from the factory in a color called Shadow that was unique to the 4.2L 2009 XKR Portfolio models. When I had all 4 wheels completely refurbished a couple of years ago, I told the shop foreman what I wanted. He explained that using a black base coat with a hypersilver top coat followed by clear coat would do what I wanted. He left the barrel black, which made the face of wheel really pop. I waited a week to let the paint dry and then ceramic coated the wheels to make them easier to clean. Here's how they turned out. Note that the thin indented center spokes are chrome overlays.

Front:

Rear:

I ordered the same retro style center caps. Very cool & unique

Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

wow, might be my new fav jaguar wheel

Old 04-22-2021, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRfangs
wow, might be my new fav jaguar wheel
Mine too, my Winter black Vulcans came off yesterday and the Vortex I bought the car with went on, pic below from Oct 2018 when purchase, it now looks better as has black bonnet vents and wortec discs, as has been said shame won't fit a 4.2, so sell yours and buy a 5l

mosesbotbol (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:51 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,017 Likes on 721 Posts

Looking at the poll results, I can’t believe so many of you have it completely wrong. ;-)
And I thought I knew you guys...

Old 04-23-2021, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Mine too, my Winter black Vulcans came off yesterday and the Vortex I bought the car with went on, pic below from Oct 2018 when purchase, it now looks better as has black bonnet vents and wortec discs, as has been said shame won't fit a 4.2, so sell yours and buy a 5l

Beautiful car. . . i would love to have a 5.0 but just couldnt pass on mine. Salsa red with the luxury aluminum interior package seem few and far apart. Especially in the condition that mine is in

Quick Reply: Red wheels on salsa red vert ?