XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing/Replacing Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing/Replacing Dead Battery

I woke up this AM to a totally dead battery. Am ordering a new Interstate one, which will be in tomorrow, AM.
Has anyone ever done this on a 2007 XKR Coupe? I've removed the covering, but there appears to be something else that is holding the battery in place, and I'm not sure what to loosen.
I apologize if this is somewhere else on these threads, but I have done several searches and even Googled looking for step-by-step instructions.
Thanks, in advance.
tnt10

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Spoke with the dealer twice, and finally figured this out, and got the battery out!! Yippee!!
tnt10

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

And the answer was?
Did you have to do anything special?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I changed my battery recently. Nothing special needed. Undo 2 screws on the end clamp, on the right of battery. Undo the 2 screws on the clamp on the side of battery facing you.
These batteries are real heavy. Eat some spinach before attempting removal lol.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Where the heck is the battery located on this car?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Where the heck is the battery located on this car?
That's a good question lol. I just bought mine and haven't even thought of looking for it yet. Probably buried in the trunk like my 535...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM

The battery is located behind the drivers-side of the rear seat in the trunk area. Wasn't able to see/get to all the bolts holding the rear and side clamps in place. Had to eventually remove a cross bar that was hiding/obcsuring the rear-most clamp.
Have changed many a battery in my day, and hardest part was lugging the thing around. Never have had to spend so much time and effort just to get the thing out! Well, something learned today.
tnt10

The following users liked this post:
Gray XK (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10
The battery is located behind the drivers-side of the rear seat in the trunk area. Wasn't able to see/get to all the bolts holding the rear and side clamps in place. Had to eventually remove a cross bar that was hiding/obcsuring the rear-most clamp.
Have changed many a battery in my day, and hardest part was lugging the thing around. Never have had to spend so much time and effort just to get the thing out! Well, something learned today.
tnt10
Thanks. Good to know

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

Replaced the battery today, and it was a snap. The one I chose was the Interstate.
The only items that I needed to reconfigure were the windows, the clock, and the seat memory. The radio presets were still intact.
Am looking into the Ctek battery charger at this point to prevent this in the future, since I do drive this car infrequently
tnt10.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Will I have to reconfigure the convertible top if I replace the battery?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Save the Settings?

I have some ideas to retain the various memories (windows, clock, seat, etc.), but I'm not sure if they will work:

What if you hook up your battery trickle charger (BatteryMinder, cTek, BatteryTender, etc.) to the remote battery terminals before you remove the battery? Will that save the settings?

Or, what if you have a charging adapter that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket? I realize that socket is switched, but will that work to save the settings if you turn the car "on" without starting the engine? (press the start button but don't step on the brake).

Any problems if you do so? Anyone know for sure?

Stuart

Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

For those who have not seen their battery and have a XK coupe, see the jpg attached. It's in the boot/trunk/rear of the car under the battery cover.

So my question is.........what is the significance of the blue sticker on my battery with the 05/08 on it??????????????

Attached Thumbnails Removing/Replacing Dead Battery-jaguar-battery.jpg   Removing/Replacing Dead Battery-jaguar-battery-3.jpg  

Last edited by Hailers; 01-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hailers:
amcdonal86 (01-30-2013), robtroxel (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
For those who have not seen their battery and have a XK coupe, see the jpg attached. It's in the boot/trunk/rear of the car under the battery cover.

So my question is.........what is the significance of the blue sticker on my battery with the 05/08 on it??????????????
Where is the snorkel? Was it removed before this picture was taken? I have never seen a battery that required a snorkel, and am going to attempt a battery change tomorrow. Would like to know what I'm going to be in for before I start. I have scoured the internet for a video tutorial to no avail.

If anyone wants to give me some pointers tonight/in the morning, this is what I'm going to buy/install:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-g...lp_product_1_5

Last edited by Geosnooker2000; 08-06-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
Where is the snorkel? Was it removed before this picture was taken? I have never seen a battery that required a snorkel, and am going to attempt a battery change tomorrow. Would like to know what I'm going to be in for before I start. I have scoured the internet for a video tutorial to no avail.

If anyone wants to give me some pointers tonight/in the morning, this is what I'm going to buy/install:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-g...lp_product_1_5
In the photo, you can see the white plastic vent piece sticking out of the left side of the battery and connected to a black rubber hose. Take a look at the hardware securing the holders - you might need a Torx driver bit to remove the holder on the side of the battery closest to you, and a hex socket to remove the holder on the right side.

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 08-07-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
In the photo, you can see the white plastic vent piece sticking out of the left side of the battery and connected to a black rubber hose. Take a look at the hardware securing the holders - you might need a Torx driver bit to remove the holder on the side of the battery closest to you, and a hex socket to remove the holder on the right side.
I see it now. Thanks! Others have reported that it is nothing but 10mm bolts. I have decided to just let Sams do the installation, partly because I won't have to make another 80 mile round trip to return the core and get my core charge back, and partly because I have a WICKED case of tennis elbow I'm trying to recover from, and this looks like a wrestling match for sure.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Make sure the battery is fully charged. Just because it's new doesn't mean the battery is fully charged.

If you don't already have one, consider purchasing a battery maintainer/tender so the battery stays charged. Many of the electrical gremlins chased on these forums are the result of low battery voltage.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Well, as one might expect when taking a Jaguar to a Sam's Club Auto Repair Service Center...

the fellow who installed my new battery didn't put the trunk back together all the way, lost some screws and fasteners, and even installed the convertible top shutter upside down. So, I've got my work cut out for me this afternoon.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Make sure that the vent tube is properly connected and vented to the outside. Otherwise, hydrogen gas can build up in that enclosed space and explode.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I gather that Batteries and Battery voltage is a big problem on the XK's and XKR's.
My car is also a bit of a garage queen - should I just resort to disconnecting the battery and reconnecting when I want to drive, or must I look into purchasing a trickle charger?

The problem with a trickle charger is the fact that the battery terminals will in any case require disconnecting.
Therefore - I will lose car settings in any case once I disconnect terminals.

The battery shouldn't lose voltage once disconnected from its terminals.
The battery should also be fully charged after an extended drive, negating the need to charge after I disconnect terminals right after a drive.

What am I missing?? Do I really need to purchase a trickle charger??

What settings will be lost once terminals are disconnected? Is it only the seats, clock and windows?

Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

You don't have to disconnect the battery for charging/maintaining the battery, on the 4.2 you can connect directly to the battery but on the 5.0 you have to connect it differently but still with the terminals connected. Someone with a 5.0 will know and tell you!:-)

Buy a Ctek!:-)

Quick Reply: Removing/Replacing Dead Battery