XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Road Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Road Trip?

Debating about driving to a conference in Montreal next month from southeast Tennessee in the XKR. Not sure I want to put that many miles on but any must drive roads along the way?

Anyone else have springtime plans?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Have you ever driven the Natchez Trace Parkway? I've seen videos and had planned on going there this year. For certain I'm going up to the Oregon coast again this year. You can pick out a lot of beautiful roads in that part of the country. If you don't want to use your car for a trip like this, My question is, What are you saving it for?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Tandemcha
Debating about driving to a conference in Montreal next month from southeast Tennessee in the XKR. Not sure I want to put that many miles on but any must drive roads along the way?

Anyone else have springtime plans?
How nice of you to save the miles for the next owner so he can enjoy them and not you.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

If you don't want to put the miles on because of comfort that is one thing, if it is to preserve the car then you are overthinking, just drive it!

In Tennessee you have a stretch of road you can look up called Tail of the Dragon, also the Blue Ridge Parkway which is scenic and less work than the Dragon.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
mosesbotbol (04-17-2017), Sean W (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Montreal roads are in shambles right now. Largest road construction projects in North America are under way. I don't want to discourage from driving such a fun trip in your Jag, but need to mention how bad the roads are in the City...

I love Montreal and they appreciate Jag's more there than in most US locales.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Ah, Moses post makes me re-read the opening dialog, sorry, I had it in my head you were going the opposite direction. If you are in TN then you know about the Dragon and Parkway!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I am overthinking it, just wanted the encouragement for miles for me now!

Dragon and for me even better the Cherohala Skyway are great nearby assets.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

I spent last night in Montreal. The roads were horrific. Falling down stairs is smoother. If you have 20's plan on repairing or replacing rims.

The following users liked this post:
Tandemcha (04-17-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
If you don't want to put the miles on because of comfort that is one thing, if it is to preserve the car then you are overthinking, just drive it!

In Tennessee you have a stretch of road you can look up called Tail of the Dragon, also the Blue Ridge Parkway which is scenic and less work than the Dragon.
It's a shame the TotD speed limit is now 30, down from 40 MPH. Easily done most of the way 60+. Of course there ARE imbeciles out there on the road...

Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring Time Plans,
Its a bit out of your way, but Nova Scotia is supposed to be great ! We are heading up there on June 27 -July 2 for the New England MG "T" Register Meet in Wolfville. We might opt to take the XK on its first long trip rather than the '52 TD.

Steve from Canton

Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

The XK coupe is a marvelous grand tourer. Plenty of baggage room. A clothes bar fits easily over rear "seats". My wife and I toured last summer on a 6k mile trip. At first it seemed a bit cramped compared to our usual big four door tourer, but we soon became used to a smaller interior. Did several 600+ mile days, back-to-back comfortably. Gas mileage was very good - like about 30mpg at 70mph steady state. Power was good, though a bit whimpy above 7K ft.
Sadly, one almost never sees Jaguars (any model) outside of large urban areas. I think most Jaguar owners are still working and do not have time for extended road trips. Being retired, road travel for us is a great way to stay current with friends and family scattered across our country. I encourage all of you to get out on the roads - "See the USA in your Jaguar!"

The following 2 users liked this post by Rey:
LoudHogRider (04-21-2017), Tandemcha (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
The XK coupe is a marvelous grand tourer. Plenty of baggage room. A clothes bar fits easily over rear "seats". My wife and I toured last summer on a 6k mile trip. At first it seemed a bit cramped compared to our usual big four door tourer, but we soon became used to a smaller interior. Did several 600+ mile days, back-to-back comfortably. Gas mileage was very good - like about 30mpg at 70mph steady state. Power was good, though a bit whimpy above 7K ft.
Sadly, one almost never sees Jaguars (any model) outside of large urban areas. I think most Jaguar owners are still working and do not have time for extended road trips. Being retired, road travel for us is a great way to stay current with friends and family scattered across our country. I encourage all of you to get out on the roads - "See the USA in your Jaguar!"
Completely agree. Though things are a bit tighter in our convertible, we prefer to tour in the Jag for long distances vs. my wife's BMW SUV. It's more comfortable and a much more interesting way to tour.

We just did a 3,000+ mile trip in February covering NE, KS, CO, AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS and back to NE to visit my sister in Scottsdale and see Karchner and Carlsbad Caverns (amazing places, BTW). Averaged 26 MPG and had my foot into it. A lot.

Get out. Drive. See this amazing country!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I drove mine from Chicago Il to NC - 733 miles total. Only made gas stops ( no food or drink ) and completed the journey in 12hours 15 minutes door to door. Averaged around 22 to the gallon. Heavy rain slowed progress for a few hours but was comfortable and fresh when I reach my destination.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Personally, I buy 'em and drive 'em, and just assume my resale's gonna be low. Otherwise, what's the point?
I'm planning a cross-country (LA - NYC) in a few weeks...