Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scared to take the plunge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Scared to take the plunge?

Probably shouldn’t… Need your words of reason….

Greetings all,
Sorry for consuming your time on what may be a non-issue if I chicken out, but I need voices of a wiser nature to assist me in my possible buying dilemma.

First my demographics as they may prove important: Early 50s, separated and under the 6 figure income. Past cars are basic Japanese until 2008 when I bought an ’06 Audi A4 (totaled a year and a half later). I stepped to a ‘06 Lexus IS350 for reliability. Big mistake and hated the Lex after only 6 months. It has to go, and was thinking a used 335i coupe as a suitable replacement. (The used Audi and Lex were considered very expensive cars by my financial standards.)

Last week I was walking the Audi lots dreaming about A4's and A5’s…. Saw my first silhouette of a silver ‘07 XK coupe (41k miles)…WOW……… it was love at first sight.
Every option possible (that I can tell so far), and with a little creative financing the asking price seemed reasonable and a goal I could possibly reach. (Bargaining has yet to take place)

Perhaps you can see where this is leading. At $35k is before tax, the car is actually a June ‘06 manufacture date, and out of warranty. This also means adding an extended warranty to the deal to cover my butt (maybe plus $3k?).
If I actually reach hard for this car, it will consume a third of my savings, be less reliable than my Lex, and perhaps less practical as well (smaller boot, no back seat to speak of, and a dealership that is 40 minutes away from home.)
But my goodness I am in love....and can’t get it out of my head.

I can’t reach a higher price than this so the '08’s are out, as are the XKR’s. I have this shot, a short time to decide if moving from the same year IS350 to the Jag is a wise move. The 335i is sweet and more practical but now looks dull by comparison.

I am truly a car nut and distance drives happen just for the fun of it. (the Lex took that away from me) Having a background as a trained aircraft mechanic, I know I can offset some of the more basic maintenance with ease.

So thoughts and advice are needed.

Am I letting this “love at first sight” drive me into a bad decision? The Lex is annoying and will go away soon regardless of it amazing reliability in favor of a BMW or this.

I hate letting love drive my buying decisions but I want this XK so badly it scares me

Thoughts? Gut recommendations? Out of my league? Bad model year?

Many thanks ahead of time for your patience in reading all this and responding…

Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

CN;

I know more about the pre-'06 cars.....personal preference based on looks not performance.

You have the bug no doubt about it.

And that can be a good thing but it can be a hard itch to scratch.

The huge plus is being able to do your own service on a 'new' acquisition.

Don't put yourself under artificial pressure.

You don't 'have' to actually buy this one.

Cars are a big investment, take your time, be careful.

There are lots of cars for sale out there and some prudent shopping can doubtless find you a better deal if you are willing to invest some time and research to save significant money.

Read around in the forum here for a couple of weeks....there is more info than you can cover in that much time but it will give you the outlines and details to refine your search.

That's the car side.

The personal side only you can figure....sounds like you are going through some significant changes....you are talking about burning a third of your savings when the economy is in the dumper....and no one, but no one, has a secure job anymore.

A good 'buddy' would advise you to wait and see if the fever subsides....stop looking at them for a couple of weeks.

You have a great car already....and the cost of going from no maintenance to lots of maintenance is a huge factor that has burned lots of 'upscale' car owners.

Cars in the end just get you from place to place and if you have to finance one maybe you should be setting your sights a little lower.

Confession: I last bought a car I had to finance in '86...which was when I figured out how much money I had tossed down the drain in finance charges versus resale value.

When you do the math it never makes sense to finance unless that is the only choice you have to get to work the next day.

If you really have the fever you will still have it in a couple of years when things settle down economically and the cost of an '06 will have dropped 30-40% and you can cherry pick one with the money you saved by not having to do any maintenance on your great 'sweet' Lexus. There are good reasons why they have one of the highest resale values.

FYI Jaguars are not on that list.

Good luck and let us know what you decide in the end and as always send photos.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-23-2011 at 04:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jamjax:
bart_redline99 (12-24-2011), CleverName (12-24-2011), sandydlc (12-24-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Early 50's and seperated, for sure get the XKR and you won't be sleeping alone for long, lol...

You'll love the Jag and won't regret it. They are reliable to and easy to use & drive.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
CN;

...You have the bug no doubt about it. And that can be a good thing but it can be a hard itch to scratch....You don't 'have' to actually buy this one. There are lots of cars for sale out there and some prudent shopping can doubtless find you a better deal if you are willing to invest some time and research to save significant money. If you really have the fever you will still have it in a couple of years...
JamJax gives good advice. I searched for three years to find just the "right" XK at the right price and I am NOT usually a patient man. I looked at literally hundreds of these cars (mostly on line) before I jumped. The pay off is easy to understand. I am a lifelong "car guy" and I have really liked virtually every car I ever bought but NOTHING like this. Each time I get behind the wheel I just can't believe my good fortune. Every time I fire up the cat, the deep sensious growl of that big Jaguar engine gets under my skin and each time I park the beast, I must turn and stare at my Indigo beauty as I walk away (almost been run over in the parking lot a few times. Gotta watch where I am going).

Bottom line, I am sure you can tell I am truly smitten and from what I read in your post, you will be too.

So, my advice to you is whether you buy the one you are looking at, or wait as many of us did, I believe the acquisition will in the end be worth your while....

Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Cars are rarely a fiscally prudent move -- and anyone who is in THIS forum is less fiscally prudent than most. Asking US if it's a bright idea to buy a luxury coupe with a V8 engine and a whole boat full of complex electrical gadgets may result in an answer that is a little... um... biased. /chuckle

Having said that, I'd been saving for a new car for quite a few years to buy a Camaro Convertible and once it came out and I'd driven it, I was just underwhelmed. I loved the sheetmetal and motor, but the interior... well... it sucked. So, I grumbled and started looking elsewhere. Jag's have terrible resale value... which worked in my favor as they take huge depreciation hits for the first few years. I've only had mine a few months, but thoroughly enjoy it. We had a 45 degree day here in Seattle yesterday, so I did my errands with the top down. Because Convertible! At the same time, when I restarted the car after stopping to fuel up (a little thirsty, these XKRs), the satellite radio went on the fritz. Just got stuck in 'acquire' mode. It eventually reset itself after I left the car off for more than 10 minutes, but still. There are a few touchscreen software demons yet to be excised I think.

Anyhoo -- buying a car for people like us is typically a very emotional decision, not a rational one. Being fiscally prudent is an intellectual choice. Balancing the two is typically where you find happy people -- being too far to one side or the other inevitably brings unhappiness.

BTW, when I go out to the garage to grab a soda or something from the fridge, I often just stop and stare. What is beyond question is that they are straight up beautiful cars. You certainly don't get that from Lexus or BMW so... <cough>

The following users liked this post:
sandydlc (12-24-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a fun dilemma. Will this be your only car? If so you may find it very limiting for true running around town trips. I have a '99 Montero that I usually drive on weekends to Home Depot, grocery store, etc. I really hate taking the Jag on errands since I like to avoid crowded parking lots, door dings, bad drivers, etc. Also, these cars take more effort to drive to avoid hitting curbs, pot holes etc. I really find the Jag to be a wonderful car but I find it stresses me out to take it out on errands.

As for reliability and routine maintenance, I find the Jag to be fantastic when you consider how expensive these cars are new. An oil change at the dealer is under $100 and the recommended services are not that expensive. I've had mine for about 6 months now and so far the tsat and RMS have been replaced under warranty which may not be common for an '08 with 27,000 miles but doesn't strike me as being a high maintenance car.

If I were in your position I would be very tempted to buy the Jag but honestly if it were to be my only car I would not buy it. I would go for a basic car like a Honda that I could pay off and buy the Jag for weekends and sunny days.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dilema sounds very familiar to me. I've just spent the last 6 months looking at Audi S5's, their new S6, new Jaguar XF's, Mercedes E550's but when I found my red 2007 XK with the perfect interior and then drove it, I couldn't help myself. It cost me $32,500 plus $2400 for a 36 mo/ 3 yr bumper to bumper extended warranty but the car looks brand new. Have only had it for 2 wks and so the gremlins havn't shown themselves yet. I don't think I'll care though because I bought this car to drive, not to play with the navigation or bluetooth. Someone else above mentioned just going out and staring at it in the garage. I've done this everyday since I bought it. I hope I never stop.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

These are cars worthy of lust, but that could all turn to regret if it makes you too financially tight. Rveryone here has found theirs at a great price, and you will certainily be able to do the same when the time is right. The only question is whether you can still think this through rationally!

Bruce

Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you all for such helpful words.

I see many of you are truly passionate owners, which I wish I could share with the Lexus IS crowd, but alas they tend to be a group that still has trouble figuring out which way to wear a ball cap.

My decision is obviously complex only in my own mind. Financially I'm biting the bullet on another car within 6 months regardless. I dislike the Lexus that much. My Audi was a unreliable pain (8 CELs in 1.5 years), but when she ran, I was the happiest driver on the road.

So it really boils down to remaining on target dump the Lex for a 2008 BMW 335i (gonna hit the $31K mark with all my "required whistles, bells and warranty" I have now been spoiled with.) by mid 2012.... Or I can see what magic numbers can be swung on this '07 Jag.
Money will be committed in one direction or another, the Jag just ups the ante by maybe $10k (taxs and Warranty) over the BMW totals. The one Im looking at has both the lux and tech pkgs the right color interior (black w/dark walnut) and silver exterior.

BMW wins in more practical uses like cargo space and back seats. But has a bad rep with fuel pump failures and lots of repeated shop time.
The Jag wins hands down in gorgeous looks and the fact that they are not a "dime-a-dozen" car like the Beemers have become these days.
Oddly it sounds as though the Jag may have a better rep in reliability over all. Seems parts costs are the biggest issue for them.

Of disappointment so far is the Jag seems limited in mods that can be done to a base model. The Lex is cursed that same way as well(what you buy is what you get). The Audi and BMW world both have a huge aftermarket following to boost your performance from mild to wild, which I do like.

JJ, I do thank you for advice that is solid and shows sound thought to help offset the emotions. I'm envious of your choice of vehicles and wisdom.

Dan, it will be a daily driver, although I do have an old 77 pickup for hauling bigger stuff if needed. Good point on around town stuff, thanks.(will skis fit in the trunk?)

Couple follow up questions:
1.) Did any of this body style offer a popup sun screen for the back window (obviously not the 07, but in later years)? I have light sensitive eyes and this feature (on both Audi and Lex) has been a blessing for me in night driving thanks to the kids and their ridiculously bright HIDs on my butt. (Press of a button and my cabin get dark again...)

2.) Second, the car I drove had very weak HIDs compared to the Audi or Lex. Any known issues there or can I assume they were just miss aimed?

To all of you, a grateful thanks and a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:25 AM

CN;

Thanks, it is always a dilemma to choose between wild fun and sensible, like Dan pointed out.

Kinda like choosing a wife.....

What can you live with day to day?

If you haven't caught it yet here is a great article on your proposed '07 XK.

2007 Jaguar XK - Review & Road Test - Automobile Magazine

Have had both Audi's and BMW cars over the years and loved both for driving.

They also had the benefit of conferring some camouflage in traffic even in red on a couple I had.

But the nub for most 'owners' of XK's is the great non-cookie cutter design of them. There still just aren't that many on the road anywhere in the world.

But at the risk of derailing your search for an XK though...may I suggest that you take a look at '02-'03 BMW M5s?

100hp more than the '07 XK and wild performance, Corvette engine essentially stuffed in a 5 series. If their performance is not exotic enough for you there are lots of upgrades out there on them that you could do yourself with your skills.

The cost of them has dropped down to nearly silly prices and there are low mileage examples to be found if you are willing to get on a plane to pick up the right one in Texas, Arizona or Southern Calif. You can find them for under $20K now.

That said you still have at least six months to find a better price on either an XK or a cherry M5. And the prices are going to drop after the new year on all of them.

Have you checked prices on the XK in other cities?

Find Your Car: Used Jaguar XK Listings Near Santa Fe, NM 87501 - AutoTrader.com

There are a three below the cost of the one you are looking at......saving $5,000 is worth a flight and a drive back.

Or how about this Dinan M5 for $20k that looks to have about 470hp with the mods listed. I would buy this if I was still in the US and laugh all the way to the bank about how much I saved.This is about half the price of the XK's and a heck of a lot of bang for the buck.

Cars for Sale: 2002 BMW M5 Sport Package in Greensboro, NC 27407: Sedan Details - 308867665 - AutoTrader.com

Dinan S2-M5 - Specialty File - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Good luck with your dilemma and as always send photos.

If you are set on the XK wait until the end of Jan, it will still be there XK's don't sell very quickly....the price will drop if you go in there on the last day of the month....dealers hate carrying the 'float' over to the next month because that is when they have to refinance every car on the lot for the following month....you didn't think they used their own money did you?

Only deal with the sales manager and you tell him what you will pay for it not the other way around. Set up your own financing before you go. Dealers make a large part of their profit on the finance side and adding in warranties...research those on this forum for the best one to get and see if you can get it independently of the dealer. And finally Dealers make more money on used cars than new...don't be afraid to hammer them on the price, easy to do these days by checking the trade in price/cost for it on Edmunds.com, offer a grand above that and stick to it. Lots more cars out there.

Don't know all of the details on the XK you are looking at but average trade in is $27,000 and dealer retail is $32,000. I'd say you have about $6,000 you are giving away to the dealer in that deal.

Be pleasant but forceful.

Try not to drool.

Always a dead give away to the "Gotta Have It" disease, and a killer in closing the deal at your price instead of theirs.

Good luck and as always send photos.

cheers and Happy Holidays to all,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-24-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't see any problem I am over 50 lost my job bought my second Jag XKR and started a new job you can't worry about what if enjoy the Jag and enjoy life. What ever you do what's the worse thing that can happen and what ever it is life goes on. Buy a Jag

The following users liked this post:
barnsie (10-27-2019)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT USE ONE THIRD OF YOUR SAVINGS FOR ANY CAR???YOU ARE IN YOUR EARLY 50's and retirement is within the next 10 or so years.

My advice would be twofold:

1. If there is a chance to lease this vehicle with little or no money down,then I would move in that direction.

2. Shop around for the best auto loan rates and FINANCE the car...financing for five years at low interest for $30k would be about $500 month.

Negotiate a warranty as part of your negotiations so that the price of the car includes the warranty.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName

Dan, it will be a daily driver, although I do have an old 77 pickup for hauling bigger stuff if needed. Good point on around town stuff, thanks.(will skis fit in the trunk?)
I'm assuming you mean snow skis and no they will definitely not fit in the trunk. You could run them up over the rear seats and set them on top of your head though I couldn't even imagine taking this type of car up to a ski slope. I grew up in wa state and went skiing all over the place and I know the beating my car took with the sand, gravel, idiots, etc. Not to mention that this car probably wouldn't handle well in the snow without proper snow tires.
If you do buy it and take it skiing, definitely post some pics as you may be the only person ever to take one of these to a mountain pass in the winter

Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan
If you do buy it and take it skiing, definitely post some pics as you may be the only person ever to take one of these to a mountain pass in the winter
Really? wow! Now there is food for thought!

Of course I learned years ago that tires are everything. I have run Winter/Summer setups for some time (Counting the OEM rims, I have 3 complete 3 sets for my Lexus.)
Blizzacks work well for the trip up to the slopes, the Conti ExtreemContactsDWS are a great overall winter tire for our very wet Washington weather and I swear by Bridgestone Re-11s for the summer.

Vince

Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't drop that kind of money from your savings on your car. Take your time and you will find a deal. With the low rates right now you should be able to get in with a small down payment. Definitely have your financing ready before you hit the lots or inquiring on the Internet.

Also, purchase the extended warranty AND start a rainy day fund. I was quoted $1800 for a headlamp replacement a few months ago and it really caught me by surprise. Tires will also cost you a pretty penny depending on what you go with.

Good luck with with your search/buy.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks WG and JJO,
Not a problem. I used the "third" more as a visual aid to my actual demographics. I guess I needed to stress my more basic lifestyle as compared those than can afford such wonderful cars when new. $35K is a big leap for me, and it will have to involve both and extended warranty and financing. My Lex has some trade in value, but I am sure I will still tap savings a bit just to make the monthly fit my budget.
With advice I've gotten here so far, the $35K "asking" is certainly too high and negotiations have yet to even begin. If we can get to a reasonable figure, I may draw some cash from savings, but it will only be enough to bring a monthly payment to within my comfort zone.

Here is a link breaking down the car I am looking at
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6...7aefb8c1_o.jpg

Some noticeable drawbacks of the Jag from my perspective is that it lacks some features I have grown accustom to with my Lex like:
A backup camera
An electric rear window sunscreen
A pass through for skis
Front parking sensors
Voice command for Nav, Phone and Environmental controls

I can live without most, but I will certainly miss the sunscreen.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM

CN;

If you are going skiing you can always lay wrap the skis in a towel or skis bag and lay them along the transmission tunnel between the seats from the passenger foot well to the back seats.

Have done that in various cars many times.

And turn off the ASC (adaptive speed control) every one says it is terrible in the snow and you can't get anywhere with it on.

You have the tires figured out but wait until you price them for 19 inch wheels.

In fact a good idea is to also price insurance 'before' you buy one...you may be surprised at the cost.

There must be an after market sun screen or window tint that will help you out with the light/eyes sensitivity issue.

enjoy,

jj

enjoy

Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 07 XKR has tinted windows, pretty dark, probably right at legal for Washington. I've only had the rear view mirror intervene when someone has a really wonky HID aiming issue. It's as effective as the sunshade was on my old XJR except for that one case. Besides, you'll get tired of people staring at you at stoplights.

I reached a bit financially to get my XKR I don't regret it for one second! Around my work area, exotics are pretty common, so I wasn't expecting the reaction the wife and I got on our road trip to Yellowstone answering questions and comments from people who saw it.

It really is a rare and beautiful cat and I'm damn proud to own it!

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks,
Tinted has always been a must for me for as long as I can remember. The intro to the electric sunscreen on both the Lex and Audi (in addition to the tinting) let me keep rear visibility when I need it and shut it down at the touch of a button when I don't.
Still lookin hard at this car but taking my time and reading as much as I can here on the forums. Appreciating all the input I can get.
With only 5 day till New years, I wonder if pricing will reflect the car being another yer older... Time will tell.

BTW Insurance on the Jag is only $200 a year more over my Lex.
Spoke with a Jag Service manager today, and he was pretty blunt that the extended warranty's don't really pay for themselves on this particular model as it has great reliability... not sure I trust that but he seems sincere.
Said I would probably not break even (lowest quot was about $3900 for three year 36k miles)

19" tires.... Yuck... Though the 18's were bad... Of course a set of rims dedicated to snow tires are usually the smallest rim you can fit over the calipers, so if 17"s slide on the at least snow tires stay reasonable.

Vince

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Sun screens are not common on hatchback cars. Louvers are a better solution for that style of car but looks quite dated now.

Quick Reply: Scared to take the plunge?