XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service Opinion Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service Opinion Poll

How Important Is It To Have My Car Serviced By A Jaguar Dealer?
I bought my 08 XK from a Jag dealer. The car was one owner and serviced exclusively by the dealership. I've only had the oil changed since I bought it and I also went to a Jag dealer. My thought was the car will have more resale value with its provenance of factory service. I know a real good independent service man that worked on an older Jag I owned, but if he performs service it will not show up in carfax etc. I'm not even sure if the independent would be any less expensive than going to the dealership, but I would hope so ...
So is a car more valuable if its always been serviced by a Jaguar Dealer?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Not for me. It's good to have record and receipts, but whether the mtce. was done by Joe at a dealership or Joe at the local indy would mean little.

Most likely whatever additional value the car might have for some would be completely offset by the additional cost of using a dealership.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Dealership Service

When I buy a car, especially a nice car or a new car, my main goal is to care for it and enjoy it as much as possible. That not only includes washing and waxing it more often than necessary, but also, having regular oil changes, filter changes, using the correct fluids, and having all other service performed when or as required. But the last thing I care about is the Carfax report that the next owner might see. I keep all service receipts in chronological order in a nice folder with dates and mileage clearly visible. But I’m going to stop short of putting clear plastic seat covers on my Jag just so the next owner will have seats that look like they just came from the factory. And unless it’s absolutely necessary, my Jag will never see the inside of a Jaguar dealership. Why?

I’m 67, I’ve owned 36 cars and my personal experiences with car dealerships in general cause me to feel as follows. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, I found almost all car dealerships to be courteous, ethical and competent. The prices they charged for their cars, parts and service were, for the most part, fair and reasonable. Why? Because they were proud of their products, their image, their reputation, and their customer satisfaction, all of which lead to their primary goal … having repeat customers.

However, for the last 25 years or so, my personal experiences have shown that many of these same dealers have abandoned all of that for 1 thing and 1 thing only … more profit. Even if it means using fine print caveats, deceptive marketing, unethical sales tactics, bait and switch programs, outright lying … all the while … delivering mediocre, over-priced and often unnecessary service.

I know … there are still some damn fine dealerships who are not guilty of any of those things, like the Acura dealership that takes care of me and my NSX like I was the dealership owner’s brother.

In the 3½ years I’ve owned my Jag, I’ve only had reason to take it to the dealer once … to make a minor adjustment, which they said they didn’t know how to do. That same Jag dealer had Lothar’s XKR for the better part of 3 months to fix a clicking noise, and although he also bought a brand new XKR-S from them, they didn’t bother to give him a loaner while his R was in their shop! Not to mention failing to return his phone calls.

It’s as if many dealerships now don’t care about customer satisfaction. For all of these reasons, I don’t feel like my Jag dealer has earned my business. And even if he did, his prices would be double what a certified or otherwise fully competent independent Jag tech would charge me. Bottom line, I don’t trust most dealerships and I won’t let them pick my pocket.

OK Leeper, here’s another great chance for you to show the forum what a terrible person I am for having my personal opinion and what a damn fine guy you are (1) because your opinion is different … and of course … (2) unlike mine, your opinion is correct!

The following 3 users liked this post by Snide72:
bklynchris (04-28-2016), jagxk2008 (04-27-2016), richzak (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I've usually always maintained my own cars and kept a service log in a note book in the earlier days and then on a spreadsheet in the later years. I've decided with this car to get the dealer service done and recorded. We've had a lot of discussions on my Ferrari form and Lexus form and opinions go both ways. It seems there the newer the car the more guys used the dealer for both record and resale purposes. I hear more people "depending" on carfax for assuring the routine maintenance is done according to the mfg. requirements. The issue I see is whether people believe and follow the scheduled maintenance in the OM. Some cheat on filters and other items waiting a little longer then the recommendation which may or may not be an issue. So for me the Jag will be dealer maintained while my other 3 vehicles will be maintained by myself.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
When I buy a car, especially a nice car or a new car, my main goal is to care for it and enjoy it as much as possible. That not only includes washing and waxing it more often than necessary, but also, having regular oil changes, filter changes, using the correct fluids, and having all other service performed when or as required. But the last thing I care about is the Carfax report that the next owner might see. I keep all service receipts in chronological order in a nice folder with dates and mileage clearly visible. But I’m going to stop short of putting clear plastic seat covers on my Jag just so the next owner will have seats that look like they just came from the factory. And unless it’s absolutely necessary, my Jag will never see the inside of a Jaguar dealership. Why?

I’m 67, I’ve owned 36 cars and my personal experiences with car dealerships in general cause me to feel as follows. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, I found almost all car dealerships to be courteous, ethical and competent. The prices they charged for their cars, parts and service were, for the most part, fair and reasonable. Why? Because they were proud of their products, their image, their reputation, and their customer satisfaction, all of which lead to their primary goal … having repeat customers.

However, for the last 25 years or so, my personal experiences have shown that many of these same dealers have abandoned all of that for 1 thing and 1 thing only … more profit. Even if it means using fine print caveats, deceptive marketing, unethical sales tactics, bait and switch programs, outright lying … all the while … delivering mediocre, over-priced and often unnecessary service.

I know … there are still some damn fine dealerships who are not guilty of any of those things, like the Acura dealership that takes care of me and my NSX like I was the dealership owner’s brother.

In the 3½ years I’ve owned my Jag, I’ve only had reason to take it to the dealer once … to make a minor adjustment, which they said they didn’t know how to do. That same Jag dealer had Lothar’s XKR for the better part of 3 months to fix a clicking noise, and although he also bought a brand new XKR-S from them, they didn’t bother to give him a loaner while his R was in their shop! Not to mention failing to return his phone calls.

It’s as if many dealerships now don’t care about customer satisfaction. For all of these reasons, I don’t feel like my Jag dealer has earned my business. And even if he did, his prices would be double what a certified or otherwise fully competent independent Jag tech would charge me. Bottom line, I don’t trust most dealerships and I won’t let them pick my pocket.

OK Leeper, here’s another great chance for you to show the forum what a terrible person I am for having my personal opinion and what a damn fine guy you are (1) because your opinion is different … and of course … (2) unlike mine, your opinion is correct!
Hello Sir,

I just wanted to write and say that I categorically do and believe in the same as you. It is my hobby and passion of sorts. I have also had the same experience with couple of forum members here pissing in the cat's milk.

Dealerships are not what they used to be. I dont mind the fleecing, that was fair trade for competency. Its not so balanced any more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
bklynchris (04-28-2016), jagxk2008 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by coldpad1
I bought my 08 XK from a Jag dealer. The car was one owner and serviced exclusively by the dealership. I've only had the oil changed since I bought it and I also went to a Jag dealer. My thought was the car will have more resale value with its provenance of factory service. I know a real good independent service man that worked on an older Jag I owned, but if he performs service it will not show up in carfax etc. I'm not even sure if the independent would be any less expensive than going to the dealership, but I would hope so ...
If both are same, Jaguar dealer service is more valuable. If there's only a record here and there from Jag, but complete from Indy; the Indy is more important. Basically, either are fine as long as the buyer can see the service life of car spelled out in receipts or CarFax report.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

OP - you can insert a proper poll by editing your original post. You can get a count that way.

My opinion is avoid the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

Some independents may not be great either, but I do believe that most of them do care more about the customer and the quality of their work than a dealer.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Well Snide, here I am. To your post I agree with you 100%. If I was to post before you it would have been almost word for word identical, factually I believe that you were spot on. It's also no surprise that at the very end you just can't help yourself in once again showing where your medication wore off and your passive-aggressive behavior popped it's ugly head one again hence once again demonstrating why your name is "Snide" and how well that fits you like a glove. Remember - Mydol or Pamprin for the cramping, therapy for the rude behavior, maybe give this site a try -
http://www.apa.org/pubs/videos/4310830.aspx

One thing not mentioned much here is how inaccurate CarFax reports are whether that be in reporting maintenance, mileage, or even more importantly accidents or ownerships.

Last edited by Leeper; 04-26-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72

That's because you went to Byers. I highly recommend Tom Wood Jaguar. I drove all the way from Florida to Indianapolis to get some service done on my Super V8.

I like to do as much work on my cars as I can, for one thing it is fun to do and few will ever treat my car as well as I do. HOWEVER I have used Jaguar dealer service for over 13 years, with great care on which techs work on my cars. Some Jaguar techs really love their jobs and there is no way for me to have the same amount of experience and training they have had and I do not live in an area where independent shops have as good of a reputation.

The following users liked this post:
Tomkatb (03-16-2022)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had my 07 XK cabriolet serviced since new exclusively at authorized dealers with only authentic parts. When I needed a new battery I even replaced with oem. Only thing not original on the car are the Tires and I won't mention the make and model due to the Firestorm I caused the last time I mentioned them. The car looks and handles like the day I purchased it.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I take very little stock in Carfax, it is decent but not always accurate. If your plan is to sell the car privately then having service records is advantageous regardless of where you go. If you are trading it in who cares, they will undervalue you and I doubt that would be a part of the thinking.

Personally, for standard maintenance such as oil change, brake fluid flush, brake pads, tires, battery, it is good for a private seller to disclose to a potential buyer and whether you did it yourself, an independent, or the dealer keep those records. But if you have a bunch of other repairs done that are not part of routine why would you want to share that info, seems it might falsely indicate to the weak-minded the car is problematic, despite the fact that any car this age might need such repairs. For example, a motor blowing in a car and replaced as new means that the motor is pretty new, but the fact that there was a blown motor diminishes the value in some folks eyes. This is a very extreme example but illustrates the point I am making, this was a real world scenario with my Porsche from long ago.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Default Dealer Vs Indy service

Thanks to all for the insightful and entertaining posts. Although Carfax may not be the most reliable, buying a car long distance gave me at least some comfort in knowing it was maintained since new by the dealership it was purchased from.
However, in support of those that said they don't trust the dealerships ... when I brought her in for an oil change my dealer service suggested about $1100 in additional services in fluid changes, tire rotations etc.. I said I thought the car was completely serviced before I bought her and that should be available on Carfax. The service manager said " I don't really know how to see that". You don't know how to look on Carfax???
I contacted the dealer I bought the car from, the service manager looked at the history and assured me everything was up to date ... The tires were new with less than 2,000 miles on them... fluids had been changed or ??

There is now a certain degree of mistrust from me too. I feel the indy I know will do only what is required and on schedule. Seems like as long as I get a detailed invoice I should be good.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Maybe give us some specifics so we can help you... how many miles are on your car? What did the detailed estimate from the dealer state you should have done and how does that compare to what the Indi said it needed or didn't need? We should have the info before we make assumptions or advise.

The simple thing to do would be take the given miles / compare that to the recommended maintenance schedule / then add a tranny fluid and filter change, which usually involves replacing the tranny pan too, at 60K miles. That's what most everyone will agree to as being what is needed, what the dealer tries to sell you atop that or what the indi failed to include would be up for questioning.

This could be a case where your indi is missing a thing or two or it could be very obvious fraud/distortion by a dealer service adviser... post up what you got in terms of the two quotes and the mileage

"If you think you attorney, banker, broker, contractor, mechanic are looking out for your best interest instead of their own I think you'll be in for a rude awakening" - Caveat Emptor sadly.

Last edited by Leeper; 04-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Ultimately, it comes down to how much I trust whatever shop worked on the car. Not all dealers are trustworthy, not all indies are trustworthy.

If it were being worked at by the shop I plan on using after buying, yes, that is an advantage to me.

I have had multiple mis-diagnostics at my local Porsche dealership, plus work that wasn't done right. Until the personel there change, I don't trust them.

No issues with my local Jaguar dealer yet, but one poster here sold his car over a problem with the dash getting torn.

Last edited by Tervuren; 04-26-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

Like you T I've had terrible service at one Porsche dealership and pretty good at another. I've also had outstanding service at one dealership then terrible from a different mechanic at that same dealership so its not isolated to a MFG, or solely to one dealer over another sometimes it is which mechanic and what his day is like no different than us screwing up sometimes.

I quit using mechanics years ago due to such issues only using them when it is mandatory requiring special tools/electronics. Now I very carefully detail all work/maintenance done keeping a file for receipts and a great Excel spreadsheet for every car and bike I've had since 1999. If I torque a bolt or replace fluids that goes into the spreadsheet along with mileage and and costs. To bring that full circle to the OP that should be more than sufficient for a particular buyer's eye though there will always be those who believe that somehow a dealer is better than an indi or self wrenched car no matter what. Most people with a discerning eye will realize the value in being meticulous whether that be indi, dealership, or ones own wrenching.

Last edited by Leeper; 04-26-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Default Dealer Vs Indy service

To confirm:

I never said I brought the car to the indy. I brought the car to a dealer for an oil change and was given these recommendations:
Service
BFF (brake fluid flush)
Coolant Flush -
Balance
Alignment
Total for all of the above $11708.00

The car has 37,500 miles on it. I bought it with 35,000 miles on it.

So, the tires were put on at 35,000... Anyone think I needed balance and alignment?
What about the fluid flushes? the dealer I bought the car from said to have them show me the fluid.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Default Correction

Sorry - total was $1107.00 not $11,700.00 - now that would be a ripoff...lol

Old 04-26-2016, 08:21 PM

Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

You, my friend, should blow a rape whistle.

Brake fluid flush should run @$125 dealer price (@$10-21 for DOT4 fluid and @30 mins to do, I just did mine).
Balance $25/wheel if needed, you can tell if it needs that by vibration feedback when driving but seeing you had them changed out 2500 miles ago that is skeptical at best.
Alignment, maybe maybe not, does the car pull to either side or show strange wear on the tires? Still I was just quoted $60-150 depending on how much they have to do by a local very reputable place here.

Service consists of - pollen air filter replacement (that literally takes up to 5 mins to do at most at a cost of @$35 online).
Engine air filter @$31/ea your car takes two time to swap out is maybe 15-20 mins
Oil change - filter and oil costs @$75 takes them @ 15 mins using the suction method or 25 mins removing the plug while they do other stuff to your car. Very easy to do
coolant probably @$50 in coolant and 20 mins to do while they do other stuff.
They will go around your car to inspect it but based upon those numbers I'm certain they'll find many things which they hope to fleece you on.

They are likely NOT rotating your tires as most, I beleive all Jag XKR's, have staggered wheel set up so there is no such thing as rotation as most all sport tires are directional

They are trying to make a SWEET profit from you. Stick with your indi, run from that dealership . Even if those things were needed that total is simply ridiculous, you said you have paperwork that shows those things were already done so even more reason to run

Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Sorry - total was $1107.00 not $11,700.00 - now that would be a ripoff...lol
So is $1107. Ouch.

Quick Reply: Service Opinion Poll