Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   "service required" message (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/service-required-message-162342/)

JagV8 05-09-2016 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1457347)
Most importantly it WILL void his warranty.

A car maker/seller could say that and even might try it with the customer but not a smart move in front of a judge here! The judge will insist on an independent expert's report and if it doesn't clearly state the alleged behaviour was the only / a major cause of a fault then it'll be ignored or at most factored in and only then if the alleged behaviour can be proven.

BTW, Jaguar will know this. Whether a dealer has a clue, well yes when actual legalities get involved they probably do but maybe not when trying BS with a possibly gullible customer.

Mikey 05-09-2016 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1457847)
That link does not comment on oxidation rate or indeed give any reasons. Also "recommend" is, to be nice, weak. They want to sell oil!

Correct. If there's any significant change in stored oil it's the gradual settling or separation of additives. Whether shaking the bottle redistributes them effectively I don't know.

Queen and Country 05-09-2016 09:48 AM

Surprised that people who boast about their sense of logic, cant figure out that it cant be about shaking the bottle. think about it!

Its not like its a can of beans in sauce or Italian salad dressing.

Pennzoil says their sealed oil is no good after 4 years. Regardless of shaken or stirred.

Oh another non-scientific gas that was passed earlier about synthetic oil not having any organic components- thats wrong.

Lets not forget, first they said, oil lasts forever- there is zero oxidation. Pure manure.

Mikey 05-09-2016 09:54 AM

Your reading comprehension is deteriorating at a rapid rate.

Queen and Country 05-09-2016 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1457847)
That link does not comment on oxidation rate or indeed give any reasons.

Indeed, cause they dont want self appointed petrochemical experts to use their brains. Its beneath their comprehension and beyond mine.

Doug 05-09-2016 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1457830)
What I wrote is Verbatim what the owners manual says.

I rather doubt it. But I'd be happy to be corrected. Just scan and post the passages that assert the warranty WILL be voided due to a skipped oil change.

A week's pay says the manual says the warranty "MAY" be voided.

In any case, the owners manual is not the only or final determining factor in warranty disputes or arbitrations by any stretch of the imagination.

What you wrote is more at home in a verbose romance novel.

I'm just trying to bring out some of the 'real world' possibilities based on my own personal, actual, hands-on, real-life experience in the industry dealing with actual real-life warranty claims, lemon law cases, arbitrations, and so forth.

Can you imagine an owners manual stating your claim?
No. But owner's manuals are notoriously full of questionable passages.

Hey, if you wanna live and die in a alarmist, worst-case-scenario world, be my guest. I wouldn't tout it as superior or helpful advice, personally. Anyhow....If others wanna follow you down that road, it's certainly their prerogative.

Cheers
DD

Doug 05-09-2016 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1458028)
Indeed, cause they dont want self appointed petrochemical experts to use their brains. Its beneath their comprehension and beyond mine.

Self-appointed expert? Is this, a reference to yourself?

You boldly stated :

"Even if you did not put the oil in the car, it only has a shelf-life of 12 months once exposed to air."

Now you're asserting, in recent posts, that it's 4 years or 5 years. Which is it?

To borrow your own words.....

"Have you seen anything so absurd?"

Try to be more careful with your advice ! :)

Cheers
DD

Queen and Country 05-09-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1458073)
Self-appointed expert? Is this, a reference to yourself?

You boldly stated :

"Even if you did not put the oil in the car, it only has a shelf-life of 12 months once exposed to air."

Now you're asserting, in recent posts, that it's 4 years or 5 years. Which is it?

To borrow your own words.....

"Have you seen anything so absurd?"

Try to be more careful with your advice ! :)

Cheers
DD

Sealed vs Open- if you had not been focused on finding holes in what I said you would have caught on.
Sealed oil in a bottle goes bad- think about it!! imagine what happens to open. And dont forget you knew neither.

Cee Jay 05-09-2016 11:19 AM

So is this thread now a Parallel to the "Service Interval" thread???????

May as well COPY/PASTE these threads together so I can ignore BOTH of them.

Mikey 05-09-2016 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1458094)

Good idea!

Queen and Country 05-09-2016 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1458094)

Yep polluted by those who dont have a horse in the race.
I can see their point of view, if I had an stype I dont think I would ever change the oil in it, the oil cost more.

Doug 05-09-2016 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1458083)
Sealed vs Open-

Duly noted, duly noted! But I don't recall seeing anything from you to back up the assertion that the shelf life is 12 months once exposed to air (where did you get that info?) nor an answer as to what happens on the 366th day?

if you had not been focused on finding holes in what I said you would have caught on. Sealed oil in a bottle goes bad- think about it!! imagine what happens to open. And dont forget you knew neither

Ah yes, post #27

Heh heh, if you hadn't been so focused on your sky-is-falling melodrama and desire to disqualify the comments of others as "absurd", you would've caught on to the tongue in cheek nature of my reply. Next time, for you, I'll be more clear on that. :)

Anyhow....

My intent isn't to simply find holes in what you've posted for the sake of finding holes but, rather, to add some moderating perspective to your worst-case-scenario assertions, most notably that the warranty WILL be voided. I've tried to explain my position and opinions but I've yet to hear you explain how you can reliably predict the future and then present that prediction as an absolute fact.....and then, from the other side of your mouth, call others out for absurd or unhelpful advice.

Anyhow again....

It's clear that we'll never see eye to eye on this so I'll let the matter drop.

Cheers
DD

Mikey 05-09-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1458101)
Yep polluted by those who dont have a horse in the race.
I can see their point of view, if I had an stype I dont think I would ever change the oil in it, the oil cost more.

Spoken like a true snob!

bocatrip 05-09-2016 06:01 PM

It's amazing how this thread has gone in an entirely different direction. Regardless as the OP, I took my car in to Jaguar for the oil change and the resetting of the "service required" message. I was out the door for a total of $115. I will be planning on going for a yearly oil change regardless of miles driven. All is well. Thanks everyone for your imput.

Mikey 05-09-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1458365)
I was out the door for a total of $115. I will be planning on going for a yearly oil change regardless of miles driven.

You did well!

AllblueACR 06-16-2016 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by apost8n8 (Post 1456954)
From my jagwrangler one touch convertible instructions that I just finished installing minutes ago:

'Service Required' Message appears on dashboard (2009+ models in the UK, 2010+ models
elsewhere):
-This service reminder message sometimes appears as a result of the battery disconnect. Reset
it as follows:
1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (before the ignition is on).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (do not start the engine)
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch (1sec)
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch (within 1sec).
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch. (within 1sec)
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message center should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

My car had the oil and filter changed in October by dealer I bought it from; not a Jag dealer but very good to deal with. Service light comes on and off at startup. Not sure if they did or did not clear the light at service but its been popping on since I got it 2 weeks ago. 800 kms on car since oil changed. I can't get this sequence to kill the light... is there some other magic sensor that knows the filter and oil wasn't just changed?? :icon_idea1:

SickRob 06-18-2016 11:38 AM

I wish I had found this thread a few days go. I had the battery replaced 2 weeks ago, and the seat back on the psgr. side stopped adjusting. I found a thread that told me it was caused by the battery change; and it needed to be reprogrammed.

Now I learn that it also caused the service light to come on. Unfortunately I went to the dealer yesterday. They reprogrammed the seat and did an oil change based on the service light, which apparently was unnecessary.

When I first spoke with the tech I said it was a reprogram issue for the seat. He dismissed that idea, believing it was electrical damage from trying to jump the car when the battery went dead. However I knew the deal on starting and just used a battery booster. I was right. I would like to believer that the tech did not realize the battery change would trigger the service light. Otherwise he deliberately did an oil change that was unnecessary.

However in the long view a premature oil change is not a terrible thing, even at $130. I just bought the car 2 months ago and am not sure when the oil was last changed.

Leeper 06-18-2016 12:37 PM

Definitely not a bad thing. As a personal practice I ALWAYS change the fluids of every used car I buy regardless of what receipts may say... as JagToes has witnessed and I have as well what they say they may have put in the car may or may not be what's in there (ie stating they're using synthetic oil when they are putting in dino oil or using wrong viscosity's). Also you may want to make sure the brake fluid is new/fresh as that needs to get done every other year (VERY easy and cheap DIY). Take a look at your air cleaners, the cabin air filter can be removed in less than 3 mins to look at or blow out.

Good luck

SickRob 06-18-2016 01:51 PM

Good points. I bought this car in April. It had 16k miles and only 2k miles over the last 3 years. It probably needs a good going over just based on time. It does have new tires, and it was kept covered in heated storage over the winters, looks new and drives great.

Unfortunately I have hands of stone when it comes to mechanical stuff. I read here to learn and to try to protect myself from dealers/service people who may not be the best. Jag prices don't seem too bad after years of tending to a proper motor car.

luv2fly 07-10-2016 11:05 AM

Big thanks to apost8n8 and everyone else who contributed to the threads concerning the service required message. I at first thought it was a joke, but found several confirmations and went for it. Had the battery disconnected on my '13XKR yesterday to replace pads all round-not taking chances with that e-brake. Then got the message, wondering what I'd done wrong. Thank goodness for this forum and those who read and contribute. Tried it this morning till I got the low battery warning and began to doubt. Charged the battery and tried again - finally got the "resetting" message but just hung there. Gave up after 2 minutes or so. Opened the door and put my leg out and tried again.:-) Bingo! Never told me it was reset, resetting message just went away and normal display came back. Took it for a drive and no more message. Thank you all again.