Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"service required" message

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default "service required" message

My 2010 XK currently has 8,560 miles on it. Recently when starting the car, the message "service required" will appear in the message center for one or two seconds and then go out. I own my car for a little over 2 years and have had an oil change and brake fluid flush at 6,058 miles 2 years ago at Jaguar. Does this message come on because of specific mileage on odometer and then go out after some time? Does it have to be reset by dealer for it to go out? Thanks all.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

WOW. One oil change in 2 years.
Not good.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
WOW. One oil change in 2 years.
Not good.
Synthetic oil, and driven 2,000 miles.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Synthetic oil, and driven 2,000 miles.
Exactly. I think Jag allows 2 years when using synthetic oils, so time's up.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Will the "service required" go out on it's own?

Old 05-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Boca:

My 2009 XKR gets driven with low mileage also on an annual basis.

Although I put about 2000 to 2500 miles on the XKR yearly, I do have the oil changed annually.

I buy my own Castrol oil, filter (which is a standard type oil filter for the 2009 4.2L) and have a local oil change business complete the change.

I have no experience the "service" message, but would simply call your Hag dealer and make an inquiry as to the message light and the cycle for the oil change.

While your mileage is low in regards to oil change recommendations the oil may break down after sitting for 2 years in the engine and pan. I am not an oil expert but think it may break down over time.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Will the "service required" go out on it's own?
Have you looked in the vehicle Owner's Manual for the procedure?

Old 05-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

No the service light will not go out on its own

Yes you definitely need to change oil each year- especially because you have that few miles. I.e. oil that gets foul and never burned off.

Even if you did not put the oil in the car, it only has a shelf-life of 12 months once exposed to air.

The procedure is called "resetting service light" search for it here on the forum and folks have put excellent directions.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Yes you definitely need to change oil each year- especially because you have that few miles. I.e. oil that gets foul and never burned off.
This depends on whether it has low miles from infrequent use, or incredibly short trips, like the people I see drive 50 feet down their drive way to the mailbox. The latter causes what you mention. If its infrequent use, but everything runs at proper temps for sustained trips, it is not arduous.

As mentioned by yourself and others already, I am reiterating that parts have a "shelf life" where they dry out, rot, or contaminate. Tires are also included this.

Do you have the owners manual? It should tell you the possible things a light or message means. I have the 4.2 engine, so I cannot assist by walking out to my car and reading my manual.

bocatrip (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
This depends on whether it has low miles from infrequent use, or incredibly short trips, like the people I see drive 50 feet down their drive way to the mailbox. The latter causes what you mention. If its infrequent use, but everything runs at proper temps for sustained trips, it is not arduous.

As mentioned by yourself and others already, I am reiterating that parts have a "shelf life" where they dry out, rot, or contaminate. Tires are also included this.

Do you have the owners manual? It should tell you the possible things a light or message means. I have the 4.2 engine, so I cannot assist by walking out to my car and reading my manual.
We may confuse him, he is under the impression that he can double the oil change interval because he does not drive much. The opposite is true.

Also this oil will go bad sitting in the engine. With zero miles on it.

Service light that only comes on at startup on 5.0 is change oil reminder.

The only super optimistic way that a oil can be kept over a year in the engine is if the 1000 miles he puts on are 10, 100 mile trips. Even then, its risky and Jaguar will void warranty for lack of timely oil change.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
bocatrip (05-06-2016), Tervuren (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice. I have an oil change scheduled at Jaguar for this Monday. I spoke with my trusty service writer and he assured me the "service required" message needs to be reset by Jaguar. Luckily for me, I just happened to save a Gift Certificate Coupon for any Jaguar service for $50 off which comes in handy for a typical Jaguar $150 oil change. Live and learn. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice. I have an oil change scheduled at Jaguar for this Monday. I spoke with my trusty service writer and he assured me the "service required" message needs to be reset by Jaguar. Luckily for me, I just happened to save a Gift Certificate Coupon for any Jaguar service for $50 off which comes in handy for a typical Jaguar $150 oil change. Live and learn. Thanks again.
If its $100 out the door, that's a pretty good deal on the change.

The service light will be reset by them, but doesn't have to be reset by them.

Admittedly, it took me a bunch of tries to get my light to reset (I do my own oil changes) but it is doable by anyone who knows the sequence of button presses. Do what Q&C suggested if you want to know how to reset the warning yourself.

bocatrip (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
If its $100 out the door, that's a pretty good deal on the change.

The service light will be reset by them, but doesn't have to be reset by them.

Admittedly, it took me a bunch of tries to get my light to reset (I do my own oil changes) but it is doable by anyone who knows the sequence of button presses. Do what Q&C suggested if you want to know how to reset the warning yourself.
Apparently, what was explained to me at Jaguar, they no longer drain and refill the engine oil, but instead suck it out and then replenish. Is this true?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Apparently, what was explained to me at Jaguar, they no longer drain and refill the engine oil, but instead suck it out and then replenish. Is this true?
True for the 5.0L The 4.2L has a drain plug in the oil pan.

bocatrip (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

It is true there is a tube inside to suck out the oil. However I still put in the air and drain it, reason being its a chance to look the car over and let you know the health of things underneath. You should always change the oil at recommended intervals, more so if you drive a lot, and even if only a few hundred miles a year. On the 5.0L engines there is an oil life sensor in the bottom of the pan. As far as the reset procedure goes, sometimes can be tricky. You press the rear fog light button, hold it, at the same time turn the ignition on, release the rear fog light, then release fog light button, then quickly press trip button then rear fog again, and it should say resetting oil service, keep pressing both buttons till it says it's reset. It might take a few tries, otherwise the dealer should be able to do it for yah free of charge.

bocatrip (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

It's a nice car. Drive it more

Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Question

We may confuse him, he is under the impression that he can double the oil change interval because he does not drive much. The opposite is true.

Also this oil will go bad sitting in the engine. With zero miles on it.

Service light that only comes on at startup on 5.0 is change oil reminder.

The only super optimistic way that a oil can be kept over a year in the engine is if the 1000 miles he puts on are 10, 100 mile trips. Even then, its risky and Jaguar will void warranty for lack of timely oil change.
It's interesting the oil change period these days on cars.
I know there is a long thread on this subject at the moment where there appears to be very different views. I change my 4.2 XK oil every 12 months whatever the mileage ,it's normally 3-4 K miles.

I have recently bought a fairly new Mini and the service interval is 20k or 24 months. I will be changing it every year as I believe rightly or wrongly that 24 months is too long.
The other argument is surely a car manufacturer wouldn't put a car at risk if oil only lasts a year.

This topic perhaps is best in the other thread but with guys getting a bit heated and quoting tech specs over there it just confuses the issue.

bocatrip (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
It is true there is a tube inside to suck out the oil. However I still put in the air and drain it, reason being its a chance to look the car over and let you know the health of things underneath. You should always change the oil at recommended intervals, more so if you drive a lot, and even if only a few hundred miles a year. On the 5.0L engines there is an oil life sensor in the bottom of the pan. As far as the reset procedure goes, sometimes can be tricky. You press the rear fog light button, hold it, at the same time turn the ignition on, release the rear fog light, then release fog light button, then quickly press trip button then rear fog again, and it should say resetting oil service, keep pressing both buttons till it says it's reset. It might take a few tries, otherwise the dealer should be able to do it for yah free of charge.
Wow, I never heard of an oil life sensor! Is that what triggers the "service required" message? I also have an extended warranty for probably another 4 years (6 year policy) and don't want to jeopardize it by giving Jaguar any loophole for not honoring any claim. Knock on wood, I have not used this warranty once since ownership over 2 years ago.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Wow, I never heard of an oil life sensor! Is that what triggers the "service required" message?
No. Most modern cars have an electronic function monitoring engine operation, temperature, speed, elapsed time, mileage etc, all to calculate engine oil life. The mileage interval will vary longer or shorter based on environment and driving style or as in your case, simply run out of time.

SWMBO's car calculates that our environment and her driving style qualifies her for more than the BMW recommended standard interval.

I'd have the car serviced soon if indeed it's been longer that Jag recommends. Possibly someone can confirm whether it's a 1 year or 2 year interval. Most manufacturers state a 2 year interval when synthetics are used.

bocatrip (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
No. Most modern cars have an electronic function monitoring engine operation, temperature, speed, elapsed time, mileage etc, all to calculate engine oil life. The mileage interval will vary longer or shorter based on environment and driving style or as in your case, simply run out of time.

SWMBO's car calculates that our environment and her driving style qualifies her for more than the BMW recommended standard interval.

I'd have the car serviced soon if indeed it's been longer that Jag recommends. Possibly someone can confirm whether it's a 1 year or 2 year interval. Most manufacturers state a 2 year interval when synthetics are used.
Bringing it to Jaguar on Monday for Synthetic oil change. I hate taking it to dealer for fear of them damaging or f.....g something up. I always tell them NOT TO WASH IT. Brake fluid has been flushed and I drive the car once a month for 10-20 miles. CTEK keeps the battery tip top, and tires are all original Dunlops with 6-7 32nds left all around. ( no cracking or dry rot) New rotors and ceramics installed 2 years ago (rotors covered under warranty) Car still smells new. I use my trusty 01 LS430 with 124,000 miles as my daily driver. Thanks everyone once again for GREAT ADVICE!

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-07-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: "service required" message