Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shipping /transportation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Shipping /transportation

I am in the process of getting a car from Florida and although it is not a Jaguar I realize others have had their cars shipped from other states. When I purchased mine the dealer arranged for a shipper but I was unhappy with their selection. I don't want to go through the broker route so I was wondering what others experience has been with car transporters. Are there any that you folks would recommend. This would be an east coast shipment from Florida to New York. This may also be helpful to others who are on this site looking to buy and ship a car either a Jaguar or some other mfg. Thank You

Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Google....Auto transport companies Florida to New York.

This is an extremely popular route with so many New Yorkers and East Coaster's going back and forth between the 2 areas.

You will find many, and you can book them directly, without using a auto transport broker.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Google....Auto transport companies Florida to New York.

This is an extremely popular route with so many New Yorkers and East Coaster's going back and forth between the 2 areas.

You will find many, and you can book them directly, without using a auto transport broker.
Thanks Rich and I have already been looking. I was just asking for others experience with some of these haulers.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Thanks Rich and I have already been looking. I was just asking for others experience with some of these haulers.
I used Intercity Lines to ship my XJ-SC from CA to Chicago, and I would highly recommend them. All of their trailers are enclosed with air ride, and they provide the driver's cell number so you can check in along the way. Everyone I spoke to was very professional and helpful. They're not the cheapest option by any means, but this isn't an area I would personally cut corners with. Also you're able to pay upon delivery, as opposed to some carriers who wanted full payment in advance. I think they're based out of Maryland somewhere. What's the car you're picking up? Just curious

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
I used Intercity Lines to ship my XJ-SC from CA to Chicago, and I would highly recommend them. All of their trailers are enclosed with air ride, and they provide the driver's cell number so you can check in along the way. Everyone I spoke to was very professional and helpful. They're not the cheapest option by any means, but this isn't an area I would personally cut corners with. Also you're able to pay upon delivery, as opposed to some carriers who wanted full payment in advance. I think they're based out of Maryland somewhere. What's the car you're picking up? Just curious
Thanks . It's a new/used Audi for my Kid.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (08-24-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Do you want enclosed or open transport?

I'd do open and save the difference in cost on paintless dent removal. Either way, dents will be there, so might as well spend the difference to make the car flawless...

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

I'd do open and save the difference in cost on paintless dent removal. Either way, dents will be there, so might as well spend the difference to make the car flawless...
Yea , go ahead and make me feel good.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

I've never in my life seen "paintless dent removal" that didn't still look like crap. It should be called "Paintless Dent Modification" at best.
If you DO want to go open transport, spend a few hundred on padding and a really good car cover.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

** Fixed **

Though I agree wholeheartedly on a good cover (Love my Noah Covercraft covers!) I highly disagree with your critical assessment of paintless dent removal. I had heard about and seen good work so two years ago had them go through my Honda (aluminum body) and Porsche with stellar results. I'm extremely **** when it comes to paint and bodywork with a VERY keen eye and I'll say that for the $225 it cost me on both cars, and several panels, that this guys work was amazingly good! I found him using Yelp and was clear up front of my expectations and would have no hesitation on using him or recommending him again.

*** no affiliation other than more than please with his service.

Last edited by Leeper; 08-27-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
.... I highly disagree with your critical assessment of Dentless paint removal. I had heard about and seen good work so two years ago had them go through my Honda (aluminum body) and Porsche with stellar results. I'm extremely **** when it comes to paint and bodywork with a VERY keen eye and I'll say that for the $225 it cost me on both cars, and several panels, that this guys work was amazingly good!.....
I will concede that with certain SPECIFIC types of dents, ie; nice soft ones that appear to have been made by a kitten bouncing lightly off the side, that PDR can be adequate. However, for damage that would occur from being hauled on an open trailer with rocks, stones, carrion, whatever else flying about, there would be no hope of any decent PDR remedy.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

Let's take a "realistic" look at transporting a car and address some of what you've stated here CeeJay

I will concede that with certain SPECIFIC types of dents, ie; nice soft ones that appear to have been made by a kitten bouncing lightly off the side Last time I checked kittens bouncing off the side of vehicles is highly unlikely nor would those likely leave any marks other than possibly claw marks so no need for DPR, that PDR can be adequate. However, for damage that would occur from being hauled on an open trailer These transporting trucks are pulled by a semi with a large carrier on the back not a one car U-Haul trailer pulled by a pick-up. In most cases the cars are well shielded from ANY sort of damage other than possibly bird droppings or hail damage. Though I did recommend use of car covers what is the likelihood that one could be used on a carrier where the drivers will load the car, may have to move it, and will unload it... do you think they will use a cover properly? Remember any claims against them hurts their reputation as well as costs them directly and indirectly. with rocks, stones, carrion, whatever else flying about, there would be no hope of any decent PDR remedy Rocks, stones, carrion, etc do not make it to the cars on the carriers, the damage comes from them loading and unloading the cars so even a cover will not prevent this. Covered or uncovered there is pretty much no difference to the car the real concern is how careful they are loading and unloading and that will come down to the particular driver they employ (yes high-end and low-end companies have their issues here). I concur that deeper scratches PDR cannot remedy but they were amazing with the various door dings even on the rounded corners of my Porsche AND were able to completely remove the big dent in the trunk where the previous owner tried to slam the trunk on a bottle of wine. Bottom line is I'd suggest getting referrals for transport companies using Yelp and maybe some of the high-end car dealerships local to you then make DAMN sure that you get lots of pictures from every angle so that you can tell new damage from old in the outside chance you may run across any damage.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
... I highly disagree with your critical assessment of Dentless paint removal. I had heard about and seen good work so two years ago had them go through my Honda (aluminum body) and Porsche with stellar results. I'm extremely **** when it comes to paint and bodywork with a VERY keen eye and I'll say that for the $225 it cost me on both cars, and several panels, that this guys work was amazingly good! I found him using Yelp and was clear up front of my expectations and would have no hesitation on using him or recommending him again.

*** no affiliation other than more than please with his service.
Leeper,

I think you got it bass ackwards; didn't you mean to say "paintless dent removal", not "dentless paint removal"?

I'm another very satisfied "paintless dent removal" customer. A couple of years ago I accidentally dropped something (I don't remember what it was) on my XKR's convertible top lid, which left a small dent. I, too, found a real perfectionist on Yelp (David of Dents & Dings in Alpharetta, GA) who was able to fish a long, thin rod through an existing opening in that lid and, little by little, used it to eventually press out the dent from the inside until it was completely gone. He did such a good job that it is impossible to find where that dent was, even using high intensity lights.

You just have to find the right craftsman with the experience and patience to do the job right.

Stuart

Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned

oops! Freudian slip... you're right Stuart. My guy is here in San Diego, his feedback was exceptional as was his work. He brought a stick-on work light despite the fact that it was a sunny day to ensure his work was great at all angles used the same rods, which he had many different ones, to slowly work out the dents, both door dings into the body as well as the "punch" which protruded outwards on my trunk lid contrary to what I had heard prior with not being able to fix those

Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of Freudian slips, this is one of my favorites:

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ralphwg (08-27-2015), richzak (08-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I've never in my life seen "paintless dent removal" that didn't still look like crap. It should be called "Paintless Dent Modification" at best.
If you DO want to go open transport, spend a few hundred on padding and a really good car cover.
We just had the biggest hail storm in Boston region in recorded history about two weeks ago. We had about 6 dents on the on Volvo's hood the PDR fixed like it never happened. I have also had it done on our VDP and XK and it came out perfect. My experience is has been magical with the results. I've actually thought about learning how to do it for a side hobby/job I have been so impressed.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Cee Jay must of had a bad experience with PDR. I on the other hand have had phenomenal results. I guess like anything there are craftsman and tradesman in the PDR fieild. I also am over **** when it comes to dings and seeing them before or after repair. After addressing 6 Jags with various dings only one ding could not be removed to my satisfaction. Keep in mind dents and dings are two different animals, Dings with the right guy no problem and you will never know it was there. Dents not so much. Kittens... not sure on that one.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

The "Specific" dents to which I referred are ANY dents without any sort of crease, absolutely NO paint damage (how would the dent have gotten there?) or any marring beyond very superficial. I do agree that the actual DENT can be removed almost flawlessly, but the damage to the paint will still be there. Also there is a possibility of the paint being separated from the body panel where the damage OR fix occurred, making the possibility of the paint "popping off" somewhat likely.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is starting to sound like a bunch of politicians arguing about what the definition of "paintless" is. Obviously, if the paint is damaged PDR can't make it any better.

My thanks to Leeper, who reminded me to double check my spelling and make sure that I didn't make a Freudian slip and say pantless repair.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

Going back to Jagtoes original question...............

Depending on the age and maturity of your child, why not give him/her a one way ticket to FL and let them drive the car back? They will have a blast and will likely cost less than a transporter.

Paul

Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pstahl
Going back to Jagtoes original question...............

Depending on the age and maturity of your child, why not give him/her a one way ticket to FL and let them drive the car back? They will have a blast and will likely cost less than a transporter.

Paul
Considered that but my kid is a teacher and school is just starting which won't make this practical. It looks like I will be going with Intercity transport based on a lot of feedback from others on the various sites I had posted this question. I had also talked to them about their process and it looks like I can live with it.

Quick Reply: Shipping /transportation