XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Silver owners, I have a question. (others welcome too)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Silver owners, I have a question. (others welcome too)

So a sad reality of a recent 1600 mile trip, I had sever rock damage to my '07 XK to the point that it is now getting a complete re-paint, top to bottom.
New grill, windshield, headlights, and fog-lights as well. Yeash.....

At this point I'm going to buy the OEM black mesh grill, and will get a quote to remove and fill the antenna (which may be too costly for my budget, but I asked for the quote anyhow.)

I talked to the shop about doing anything special with the paint, while remaining with the base color (I do not want a color mismatch when opening the hood, or I would go Luna Grey in a heart beat.) He will talk to his painter, but said about the only options he would see a feasible without going full "custom" would be to add a little red or blue hue to the base color either by tinting or a light mix of the metalflake. Beyond that it gets to costly for things like pearl (a three coat system instead of the factory two coat process)
I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with stock, but the door is open for ideas before the car hits the paint booth.

Any words of wisdom, thoughts or advice? My time to talk to them is limited as they have the car right now and begin tear-down next week in prep for the paint shop.

Thanks for input. So far the only good styling choice I have made in the last few years that was worth a darn was to buy my XK!
Just leave it be?

Vince

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow where did you drive through the desert off road. I would leave it stock or go all the way, but stock would be my choice as you say the bits you don't normally see will match up and it will not break the bank! Hopefully.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Yep...I'd leave it be. It sometimes takes a bit of discipline to simply embrace the beauty that attracted you to it in the first place without feeling the need to somehow make it better. If you feel differently down the road you can buy a lunar grey car and let the pure Jaguar silver seduce its next owner.

Bruce

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Page
Wow where did you drive through the desert off road.
Mountain passes of Oregon (I-5, Syskiyou Pass) Turns out they use crushed red lava rock instead of sand... Lava "slices" the paint, so it turned the whole lower part of the car milky white. All metal and ABS exposed in the wheel wells were down to bare metal and white plastic, so sides, and both front and read bumpers were a given. Painter pointed out the sandblast damage on the rest and insurance approved the complete job. only untouched part was the liftback, and rather than blend to it they chose to paint it too.
I tend t agree on the OEM paint, but wanted to hear others thoughts....

Asked in another post... Black wire grill or Silver? Leaving the lower one stock.
oh- and I'm having them fill in the license plate holes...

Vince

Thanks folks.

Last edited by CleverName; 04-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I think the black grille on silver would be quite attractive. And sorry to hear about your trip over the Blues. I had an Olds Aurora 15 years ago that went over that pass a couple of times a winter. It was quite beat up from all those rock shenanigans. I feel your pain.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would add a purple, violet, or blue flake into the metallic.