XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Simple TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
The cost to replace all 4 is about $200. The Jag XK/XKR will read the new TPMS and automatically reset after 5 to 10 minutes of driving.

I went thru the same problem on my 2009 XKR and after many frustrating months of warnings, replacing the 4 sensors fixed the problem immediately.
Where is the best place to get the sensors, especially at that price.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I dunno about $200 but this is close.

Amazon Amazon

My local tire shop replaced them for $10/ wheel.

There are less expensive sensors than the VDO brand, but you won't find better reviews on them.

The following users liked this post:
10XKR (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi Sean,
Thank you sir!

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W

My local tire shop replaced them for $10/ wheel. ...................
You sure about that??? Most tire shops include what they call "TPMS REBUILD" which is a fancy way to say New Core and New Cap for the old one.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Someb
I had the same problem. The dealer installed an upgrade of the TPMS-software/system; so far so good.

Grtz
Ben
I think this might be the answer. Mine dances around from time to time, bouncing between all 4 tires. Too rare to predict, too frequent to dismiss. I believe I replaced all my TPMS sensors when I got new tires about 3 years ago. Of course the problem didn't start until after that, so, who knows. Please post up if your problem returns.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You sure about that??? Most tire shops include what they call "TPMS REBUILD" which is a fancy way to say New Core and New Cap for the old one.
I replaced them last season. I bought them off Amazon, they charged me $10 per tire to install them. They showed me the serial numbers from their reader. Matched my paperwork. What am I missing?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I replaced them last season. I bought them off Amazon, they charged me $10 per tire to install them. They showed me the serial numbers from their reader. Matched my paperwork. What am I missing?
AAHHHHHHHHHH....... $10 to INSTALL ones you had already bought. I get it now. I thought you had said the tire place installed new ones that they had, all for $10.
My bad. Disregard.

Sean W (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Ambiguity causes confusion and contusions. My favorite example is "John mopped the floor with Fred." Here's Fred, but his contusions aren't visible.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (04-20-2018), ralphwg (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I always liked the song " she had freckles on her but she was nice". I forgot where the comma goes.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I always liked the song " she had freckles on her but she was nice". I forgot where the comma goes.
There's another one..... "I wanna kiss her but she won't let me".

Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007 xkr and I just had all four tires replaced and now the TPMS fault flitters around and then disappears. I had the sensors 'checked' before I did the tires and the diagnostic tool said the batteries were good. I've tried the 40+ pounds of air trick, I took out the tpms fuse and danced about the car, I may try nitrogen. But the deal is the sensors send out a fairly complex digital signal (at 315mhz) that has the pressure and lots of data encoded in it. So either the batteries are strong enough to send this signal or they aren't. And if the car can't see all four sensors and read the signal you get a 'sensor' error on the dash not a low tire warning. So if you don't see the sensor warning on the dash your sensor batteries are fine.

According to Jaguar of Tacoma it's the TPMS module in the trunk. A re-flash may fix it, but probably it needs replaced. And it's just a dang-odd thing it acted up RIGHT AFTER I had four tires put on.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rickkym
2007 xkr and I just had all four tires replaced and now the TPMS fault flitters around and then disappears. I had the sensors 'checked' before I did the tires and the diagnostic tool said the batteries were good. I've tried the 40+ pounds of air trick, I took out the tpms fuse and danced about the car, I may try nitrogen. But the deal is the sensors send out a fairly complex digital signal (at 315mhz) that has the pressure and lots of data encoded in it. So either the batteries are strong enough to send this signal or they aren't. And if the car can't see all four sensors and read the signal you get a 'sensor' error on the dash not a low tire warning. So if you don't see the sensor warning on the dash your sensor batteries are fine.

According to Jaguar of Tacoma it's the TPMS module in the trunk. A re-flash may fix it, but probably it needs replaced. And it's just a dang-odd thing it acted up RIGHT AFTER I had four tires put on.
I purchased a TPMS sensor reader and from what I see it will read , serial /part number , location , battery condition , tire pressure and tire temperature. It works for both 315mz and 415 mz . It also plugs into the OBDII port and will change , add or move sensors on all 4 corners. I can also buy $28 sensors and reprogram them or clone the OEM ones. And last it allows me to turn off the TPMS light on the dash . Most tire dealers want to do the $10 rebuild which is a new o-ring and stem valve insert. They will replace them but sometime won't turn off the light. Some cars require it and others will read the replacement sensors.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,891 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by rickkym

Hmmm... makes you wonder if maybe they damaged one or more of the units while replacing the tires...

Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

End the frustration. Replace the TPMS. Your Jaguar XK/XKR is a 2007 and probably produced in 2006. Look at the door panel, it will provide a date of manufacturer. The TPMS has built-in non-replaceable batteries that last 7-9 years.

The life of your sensors are nearing their end of battery life.

Once a TPMS goes bad, the battery is not replaceable and the entire sensor needs to be replaced.

The cost to replace all 4 is about $200. The Jag XK/XKR will read the new TPMS and automatically reset after 5 to 10 minutes of driving.

I went thru the same problem on my 2009 XKR and after many frustrating months of warnings, replacing the 4 sensors fixed the problem immediately.

You will spend more time trying to diagnose the problem with lots of frustration in between. Your car is a 2007, probably built in 2006. (Look at the door panel for date of build).

Bite the bullet -----REPLACE all sensors. Buy the good ones ---SIEMENS.

Last edited by richzak; 01-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Richard,

Good advice! Glad to see that you're still lurking around here! Time for the F-type SVR?

Best regards,

Stuart

Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Stuart:

I am looking. The aftermarket for the Jaguar brand is virtually non-existent. I am seeing 2014 XKR's for sale with ultra low mileage in the 25M range, which is unbelievable to me. There is just a very poor aftermarket for the brand.

I have read where Jaguar sales are extremely poor, especially in the sedans XF, XE etc.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a buyer's market - and that's great if you're a buyer! Demographics have changed, and practicality rules. SUVs are King, and sedans are a dying breed. Cars like the XK are non-essential playthings for those who already have an SUV. Also, depending on where you live, intimidation by political correctness is a factor - witness the growth of EVs.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Hey, richzak is back!

TMPS.... On my 2010, it seems whenever one or more of the tires gets low, the whole system goes bonkers. I went thru this last year (documented in a thread somewhere...), did the 40lb trick for 1 week and it worked. Ok now for about a year. Just recently I had a screw removed in a tire and whatever the tire place did triggered the Christmas light show. All tires were at 33lbs. I raised the pressure to 35 this time and it's fine again. For now.

I assume my TMPS transmitters are at the end of life but struggling to hang on. I'm hoping they will last until the next tire change (1-2 years). If not, I'll get them replaced like richzak recommends because that TMPS warning on the message center (the car graphic, not just the yellow triangle) is annoying.

So, to rickkym, If you can, drive around for a week or so with the tire pressure at 35-40 (you said you tried the 40lbs trick but didn't say for how long) . See what happens. Maybe the system will settle. If so, drop back down to 33lbs. If it doesn't fix it, no harm done.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Hey, richzak is back!

TMPS.... On my 2010, it seems whenever one or more of the tires gets low, the whole system goes bonkers. I went thru this last year (documented in a thread somewhere...), did the 40lb trick for 1 week and it worked. Ok now for about a year. Just recently I had a screw removed in a tire and whatever the tire place did triggered the Christmas light show. All tires were at 33lbs. I raised the pressure to 35 this time and it's fine again. For now.

I assume my TMPS transmitters are at the end of life but struggling to hang on. I'm hoping they will last until the next tire change (1-2 years). If not, I'll get them replaced like richzak recommends because that TMPS warning on the message center (the car graphic, not just the yellow triangle) is annoying.

So, to rickkym, If you can, drive around for a week or so with the tire pressure at 35-40 (you said you tried the 40lbs trick but didn't say for how long) . See what happens. Maybe the system will settle. If so, drop back down to 33lbs. If it doesn't fix it, no harm done.
It's pretty simple to just go to the nearest tire dealer and have them do a sensor test. Takes about a minute or two. They can give you the sensor battery status. It would either be good or low or bad. A low battery will be intermittent and will at times trigger the system. Usually when just starting the car and when the tires are cold even if the pressure is correct. Also sometimes the sensor will read OK as the tire starts to heat up. If the batteries read good and the sensor triggers then you may have other problems. Just my 2 cents

shemp (01-22-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
End the frustration. Replace the TPMS. Your Jaguar XK/XKR is a 2007 and probably produced in 2006. Look at the door panel, it will provide a date of manufacturer. The TPMS has built-in non-replaceable batteries that last 7-9 years.

The life of your sensors are nearing their end of battery life.

Once a TPMS goes bad, the battery is not replaceable and the entire sensor needs to be replaced.

You will spend more time trying to diagnose the problem with lots of frustration in between. Your car is a 2007, probably built in 2006. (Look at the door panel for date of build).

Bite the bullet -----REPLACE all sensors. Buy the good ones ---SIEMENS.

Quick Reply: Simple TPMS question