Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SIRIUS/XM Free Listening!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts
Cool SIRIUS/XM Free Listening!

Yep, another two week period for Free Listening on your Sirius/XM Satellite radios.
Too bad my 2010 XKR has a "Too Old" system to receive the signal. I even contacted Sirius to see if they'd give me a special offer, but no joy.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yep, another two week period for Free Listening on your Sirius/XM Satellite radios.
Too bad my 2010 XKR has a "Too Old" system to receive the signal. I even contacted Sirius to see if they'd give me a special offer, but no joy.
Seriously, your 2010 can not receive their signal?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

If you can't get the signal then you have a problem with your system.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If you can't get the signal then you have a problem with your system.
Can YOU get the free stations? Audio menu/Sat Radio screen says;
Sirius Radio (something 'r other)
For subscription information call
1-888-###-SIRIUS
Your Sirius ID #:
..... aaaaand my ID # is totally blank. Tech support SAID they checked their "handbook" and my VIN and then said that no 2010 XKR can get their "FREE LISTENING CHANNEL". They DID offer to sell me a no-discount year subscription to their regular channels, as those DO work.
I tried this last year also when S/XM had the same promotion, but I thought that MAYBE since I updated my Nav Disk, hence the 'firmware', that maybe something would be different. Oh well.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

1-888-###-SIRIUS
Your Sirius ID #:
..... aaaaand my ID # is totally blank. Tech support SAID they checked their "handbook" and my VIN and then said that no 2010 XKR can get their "FREE LISTENING CHANNEL". They DID offer to sell me a no-discount year subscription to their regular channels, as those DO work.
I tried this last year also when S/XM had the same promotion, but I thought that MAYBE since I updated my Nav Disk, hence the 'firmware', that maybe something would be different. Oh well.
I don't use or subscribe to Sirius but when they have a free offering I can listen to it. My ID comes up on the screen.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

I don't use or subscribe to Sirius but when they have a free offering I can listen to it. My ID comes up on the screen.
Well, huh. Maybe I'll go see Mr Jag Dealer about it.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I decided to find the Sirius Module (in the boot above the NAV Module) and get the ID from there. Contacted Sirius and they activated a Three month Free Trial. When the Sat signal hit, the ID popped up on the screen. It would appear that it had just never been activated, ever.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I decided to find the Sirius Module (in the boot above the NAV Module) and get the ID from there. Contacted Sirius and they activated a Three month Free Trial. When the Sat signal hit, the ID popped up on the screen. It would appear that it had just never been activated, ever.
I don't use Sirius in my 2009 XKR but I will check to see if I am getting the free signal. When I hit the Sat Radio button on the infotainment screen I do have a radio ID # that shows on the screen.

Anyone else have a 2009 XKR that gets Sirius? Stuart S?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I don't use Sirius in my 2009 XKR but I will check to see if I am getting the free signal. When I hit the Sat Radio button on the infotainment screen I do have a radio ID # that shows on the screen.

Anyone else have a 2009 XKR that gets Sirius? Stuart S?
Just call them up and give them the number and tell them you want the 2 week trial.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Would an '08 be that much different?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I had Sirius in my 2008 and subscribed. When I bought my 2012 I had the subscription switched after the 90 day free demo trial. In effect they extended my subscription by 90 days.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Evidently Sirius sells telephone numbers to telemarketers. THREE DAYS after I gave Sirius my tel#, my phone started exploding with sales and scam calls. At least ten a day. I block them when a new number comes up, but it's as annoying as hell!

As it turns out anyway, I listened to Sirius for a couple hours, mostly TRYING to find something decent, but end up back on my Flash Drive every time. I have it for another almost three months, but I don't see it improving.
I personally see Sirius as a waste of money, even when it's free. But, now I know.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Personally, I like Sirius for "Classic Radio" channel and audio books. But then, I remember radio as our only available evening entertainment before TV.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Personally, I like Sirius for "Classic Radio" channel and audio books. But then, I remember radio as our only available evening entertainment before TV.
Boy are we old. Flash Gordon , the shadow , green hornet , lone ranger and so on.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Evidently Sirius sells telephone numbers to telemarketers. THREE DAYS after I gave Sirius my tel#, my phone started exploding with sales and scam calls. At least ten a day. I block them when a new number comes up, but it's as annoying as hell!

As it turns out anyway, I listened to Sirius for a couple hours, mostly TRYING to find something decent, but end up back on my Flash Drive every time. I have it for another almost three months, but I don't see it improving.
I personally see Sirius as a waste of money, even when it's free. But, now I know.
I agree. Unless you want news, or stock market information, any music can be placed on a USB thumb drive and docked with the system. That is what I do with the 2009 Jag XKR.

Sirius has it's place with many listeners, but with 5 vehicles the cost is too much on annual basis to have Sirius in all the vehicles.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, richzak, if only they would allow portability. I think, they would increase their customer base.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Boy are we old. Flash Gordon , the shadow , green hornet , lone ranger and so on.
Did you mention, Johnny Dollar, The Whistler, Dragnet, and Gunsmoke as played by William Conrad? Cisco Kid, and Wild Bill Hickok, are among those replayed.
Yes, we seem to have a a few miles under our belt!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sirius broadcast quality

Anyone know what it is? I don't believe that it is totally uncompressed, but I don't think that it's mp3 either.
I have it in my Hyundia Genesis and with the Lexicon system it sounds pretty good. My wife has it in her Lincoln and the sound is "flangy" for want of a better expression. It's not distorted, but it's not quite right and not like my Genesis. I'm thinking that it is her Sirius decoder or whatever it would be called, as FM and CD doesn't have the same issue.
Anyway, back to the Jag, do the mp3s that you play through the USB sound like Sirius? I'd bet that if you compared the CD and the mp3 version even in the Jag, that you would hear a difference, unless of course your are at WOT.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

1-888-###-SIRIUS
Your Sirius ID #:
Same thing going on with my 2007 XKR.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Same thing going on with my 2007 XKR.
It takes literally six minutes to remove the module, take a photo of the ID# and reinstall it. I went to the Sirius website and used the New/Used Car Free Trial and got three months free. But DO NOT include a telephone number (at least a real one) or you will be inundated by unwanted calls!

Quick Reply: SIRIUS/XM Free Listening!