XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sloppy rear end !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts
Default Sloppy rear end !!

After hearing some unusual sounds up front and replacing the entire braking system Including rebuild calipers I thought I'd pop the cat up on the hoist

Much to my dis-may my report resulted in the following suspension items that need to be replaced

N/S/R - - sway bay linkage
- camber adjustment rod / tie rod
- lower control arm bush
- upper control arm bush

O/S/R -sway bay linkage
-camber adjustment rod / tie rod
- lower control arm bush
- upper control arm bush

O/S/F - tie rod end
- upper control arm ball joint

Granted my vehicle has only done 60k km which is very low I would have to say this is probably one of the worst rear ends I have ever seen (suspension wise) I wonder if the heavy factory low profile 20s wheels have anything to do with this

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 05-06-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Sorry to hear.

I consider these are maintenance items but like you not at 60K... with the exception of the bushes.
Some consider it wasteful but I get the alignment checked every year. I wonder if that has mitigated the wear on Kimberly. (My daughter of 13 years named my car)

Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
After hearing some unusual sounds up front and replacing the entire braking system Including rebuild calipers I thought I'd pop the cat up on the hoist

Much to my dis-may my report resulted in the following suspension items that need to be replaced

N/S/R - - sway bay linkage
- camber adjustment rod / tie rod
- lower control arm bush
- upper control arm bush

O/S/R -sway bay linkage
-camber adjustment rod / tie rod
- lower control arm bush
- upper control arm bush

O/S/F - tie rod end
- upper control arm ball joint

Granted my vehicle has only done 60k km which is very low I would have to say this is probably one of the worst rear ends I have ever seen (suspension wise) I wonder if the heavy factory low profile 20s wheels have anything to do with this
That's a lot of items there, would be quite a price for replacement at 60 km. There's 80,000 miles on mine, high milage on crap roads. Nothing replaced yet and wheel spacers on.

Last edited by powerhouse; 05-06-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

On top of that powerhouse I'm also up for x4 new tyres !

Yes the list is quite extensive a total of 10 suspension items, I'm virtually rebuilding the whole rear end bar the shocks at least when it's done the ride quality will be perfect

Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the list is quite extensive a total of 10 suspension items, I'm virtually rebuilding the whole rear end bar the shocks at least when it's done the ride quality will be perfect
Seeing how you are intending building the rear have you considered fitting the Quaife ATB Differential.

Quaife ATB Differential Jaguar XKR X150 aluminum body 2007+

Old 05-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I am surprised to see this as well as the brake system replacement in the front. How did you determine the bushings were bad. Are they dried and cracked or is the metal fatigue. This seems a little premature to me so it will be interesting to see the condition of the components after they are removed. Please keep us posted.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Powerhouse great idea on the lsd diff the though has crossed my mind numerous times !

Jagtoes I attempted to load all the photos of the split balljoints/bushes but it appears my iPhone was unable to perform this task I will try again so everyone can see what I'm up for

Attached Thumbnails Sloppy rear end !!-photo174.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo824.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo270.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo666.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo814.jpg  

Sloppy rear end !!-photo8.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo147.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo465.jpg   Sloppy rear end !!-photo795.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
gts055 (08-13-2021)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Interesting and disappointing to say the least. What type of driving conditions has the car been subjected to. Either the rubber selection is not conducive to temps or something else caused the deterioration. Are you going with a urethane replacement ?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

the surrounding parts look in clean order with no extensive visible rust, would the car have been subjected to salt water at a time maybe.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Interesting and disappointing to say the least. What type of driving conditions has the car been subjected to. Either the rubber selection is not conducive to temps or something else caused the deterioration. Are you going with a urethane replacement ?
I won't lie the car does get driven hard I'm wondering whether the 285/20s and a low profile have anything to do with the deterioration ?

Back on the subject of the wheels they in fact one of the heaviest 20" rim I have taken on/off

When it comes to urethane where I can use it I will but with ball joint component there's not too much I can do but go genuine jaguar parts

Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
the surrounding parts look in clean order with no extensive visible rust, would the car have been subjected to salt water at a time maybe.
Prior to my purchase the vehicle was kept in the eastern suburbs of Sydney which yes is close to saltwater being the ocean .

Maybe the combination of hard driving , heavy standard wheels and the saltwater in the air contributed to the deterioration.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

fortunately, these don't appear to be high cost parts and at least the shock and sway bar bushes are interchanged with S-Type, Lincoln, etc. I think the rear tie rods can be had for around $120 US for the pair, all four for about $180. Non poly bushes are of low cost. I haven't delved into the poly bushes. I haven't spotted the rear control arm bushes on eBay, poly or otherwise.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Once I get back into work on Monday I'll ring around a few places and see what they come back at me with nevertheless I'm going to stick to genuine parts so I'm sure that won't be cheap !

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Seeing how you are intending building the rear have you considered fitting the Quaife ATB Differential.

Quaife ATB Differential Jaguar XKR X150 aluminum body 2007+
I wonder how the xk would perform with the Quaife diff and this upgrade

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/252376487410

ZF 6 Speed torque converter HYPER Drag Drift Cruise

Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Prior to my purchase the vehicle was kept in the eastern suburbs of Sydney which yes is close to saltwater being the ocean .

Maybe the combination of hard driving , heavy standard wheels and the saltwater in the air contributed to the deterioration.
The OE Jag bushings are grease filled rubber. Every Jag I have had has had this problem. The rubber deteriorates with age and the grease leaks out and eventually they develop too much play. Tire/wheel size and hard driving as well as salt have nothing to do with it.

Poly bushings will make for a much harsher ride and eventually will also wear. They are good for track use but not good for road use especially worn or uneven pavement.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I saw the topic of "sloppy reat end" I thought for sure this was about a Kardashian

The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
agentorange (05-20-2016), guy (05-09-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
I saw the topic of "sloppy reat end" I thought for sure this was about a Kardashian
Very good Leeper I was waiting for someone to comment on my heading hahaha

Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
The OE Jag bushings are grease filled rubber. Every Jag I have had has had this problem. The rubber deteriorates with age and the grease leaks out and eventually they develop too much play. Tire/wheel size and hard driving as well as salt have nothing to do with it.

Poly bushings will make for a much harsher ride and eventually will also wear. They are good for track use but not good for road use especially worn or uneven pavement.
Jahummer
You said every jag you have had has had this problem with the bushes/ball joints , I'm interested as to which models you had and at how km/miles did they occurred at .

At 60k km this shouldn't be happening to the whole rear end I didn't think it was a common problem with jaguar also on that point I wonder if aston Martin when built under Ford would also have this same problem

Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Jahummer
You said every jag you have had has had this problem with the bushes/ball joints , I'm interested as to which models you had and at how km/miles did they occurred at .

At 60k km this shouldn't be happening to the whole rear end I didn't think it was a common problem with jaguar also on that point I wonder if aston Martin when built under Ford would also have this same problem

The models are listed in my signature. The mileage varied from between 40-60K miles but as I said previously age has more to do with it than anything. The rubber dries out and the grease leaks out. Could be accelerated by warmer climates.

I will note that I have owned many other brands as well and Jaguar bushes have proved to be the worst of any.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

I just did a quick search here on the forums and see numerous posts regarding cracked, rotted and torn bushings with leaking grease for newer and older Jaguar models.

Quick Reply: Sloppy rear end !!