XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sold the XJ-S, looking for an X150

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the shout-out, Stuart. As you can see from my webpage, about half of those 38 year I was doing a lot of the maintenance myself. Before that, most of it was done by Britalia of Fullerton, CA, now out of business. One of the owners is now helping me evaluate XK candidates.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM

I'll look into that, Sin

The one thing I won't consider, however, is a convertible. I enjoyed my '60 AH Sprite (frog-eye) many years ago, but I'm beyond enjoying open-air driving. So the top would be up most of the time, and constantly creeping towards the time for replacement. I expect that would be $1000 at least.

BTW, I very much appreciate all the comments & replies. I'm feeling more confident about making a move on a 2012-2015 XK.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_man653
My first question is about the major engine failures sometimes reported for the 5.0L V8, i.e., 2010-2015. I've read of a couple true horror stories like the engine running wild, and complete destruction due to low oil. Are these isolated cases attributable to constant redlining as Jaguar seems to believe, or common among more cautious drivers such as myself?
I bought my 2012 with 25k miles in March of 2016. I have owned Porsche and BMW prior, compared to previous this car has been problem free. Currently at 40k miles. I drive it hard every time I am in it, usually in sport mode and with traction control off. For me cars are consumable items, I take great care of it but don't baby it either. If I listened to all the 4.2L guys advising people that the 5.0L has problems I would be scared to leave my driveway, like Jagtoes says, no substantive data to back up the claims. I feel it is a self-perpetuating urban myth.

The 5.0 XK is just a great car, I recommend it wholely, the most problem free car I have had in a long time. For me the only issues are below, I don't count them as unusual, it is a car and **** happens:

1. AC Compressor failed in my first year - under warranty at the time so replaced no charge
2. Lower coolant hose burst - dealer replaced for $230, I found that very reasonable!!!
3. Back window in convertible adhesive gave out just recently - fixed myself with Rhino glue and clamps, $50
4. Sticky buttons - Cleaned them myself and they look good as new, all-in probably 1.5 hours in 30 minute increments over months, not a major garage repair just a more involved "cleaning".

I applaud those who check their oil or coolant every day, week, or trip, but that is not necessary. I don't do any of that, I simply rely on what is the system tells me. I don't count these as an issue as they are wear items, but I also replaced my battery in this time and brake pads recently. The fronts I did myself since it was easy, rears I had the dealer handle as it is different procedure, I supplied Ceramic pads and was charged $220 labor only, again reasonable!!!

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m selling my 07 Coupe. Not the 5.0 you want but meticulously maintained 4.2. Jaguar proffered customer car with clean carfax. Im redoing the headliner again bc I don’t like the way the new one looks (if that gives you a clue to how this thug has been taken care of). 92k on her and I drive it daily. New Tires. Asking 15k obo

Old 06-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Went to see a 2013 XK Special Edition. Nice looking car, 41k on the clock. It's listed as a 1-owner car. Dealer asking $32k.

No lifting of dash leather, no curb rash on the wheels. Dealer says they replaced the upper & lower radiator hoses, but no evidence of water pump replacement.

If I poke the VIN into Carfax with the "luxury package." since no "Special Edition" choice is presented as a choice. it says the retail from dealer value is $29,320.

So the question is, what should be my upper limit on this car? IOW, is Special Edition special enough to warrant an extra $1,000, $2,000, or what?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

My 13XKR vert is a Portfolio Edition. The entry way scuff plates say Special Edition. Is the one you are looking at an XKR vert or coupe? Does it have the following 20" polished Orona wheels, Poltrona Frau suede trim, dark blue leather interior with contrast stitching, chrome grille and chrome mirror covers? If so the entire Portfolio package listed at $4100 new. If the car is clean I would get a PPI from a local dealer and approved Jaguar body shop at a total cost of around $500-$700. If the car is clean with no red flags, then offer $30k if it is in a color you like.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM

It's a coupe, and I believe the scuff-plates did say SE. Definitely not XKR. The stitching was contrasting color.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJS Transition

I have not posted for most of the year, since I acquired my 2012 XK. Reason? Well, work pressures and no issues with the car to discuss, and no contributions to make. But I have made the XJS to XK transition, survived, and would not go back, though I love my XJS and there are still two in the garage I will get to - someday soon.
You really have to drive the XK to determine if it's right for you. The XJS V12 was truly a Grand Touring car, where 85 mph felt like 30. Handling? Well, the XJS is heavy. The XK was no more a replacement for the XJS than the XJS was a replacement for the E -type. The XK is more sporting. Not a lot of effort went into making it quiet and smooth. It's a V8, and speaks when you put your foot down. It's really light through the corners, It handles like a sports car. The XJS handles like an XJ 6 ( which I have owned and also loved)
I love it. Really, I had to get up and admire it through the window as I typed this. Mine was in the dealer today at 82K for a 90 K service. There was nothing even a dealer could find to fix, and this is a daily driver. Granted, the original owner generated a half - inch thick pile of service records, ( mostly under warranty) including two water pumps and a leaking crossover pipes. All the usual suspects.
To be more specific as to your preferences:

1) I really think you need a back up camera on the XK. I may be corrected, but I think this became standard in 2010 or 2012. Sometimes, I put the top down to back up, (see below)

2) Convertible : I was looking for a 2007- 2009 coupe when I bought my car. It's a drop top. I did not want one, for the same reasons you express, and I think the coupes look better. I also did want black. But sometimes, a car just speaks to you. This car did, and it sounded like Lauren Bacall saying "Just whistle" My XJS - C has a targa pop- top (i.e pull over, take the roof panels off and stow them in the trunk). My two Austin Healeys were converts, of course. ,Pull over and wrestle them down. But the XK is different. Push a button at 15 mph and you are in the wind. Never thought I would appreciate that at my age ( 66.5), but I drop the top any time the sun is out, or even if it isn't. Even for my daily three mile trip to work.The sun sometimes determines whether I go straight at the traffic light, to the office, or turn right and head towards Monterey.-100 miles south.

3) Self - help: I assume you have Kirby Palmer's : "The Book" on the XJS. We have nothing like that for the XK. For those XK owners not familiar with "The Book", its a 700 page compilation of secrets ( with a lot of contributions by the Jaguar engineers who designed the XJS) on how to keep that car from self destructing under the pressure of day - to - day use, e.g.. "here's a Chevy part that fits and won't fail." We need one for the XK series, but I don't we will ever see one - there were far more XJSs sold than XKs.

4) Well, you might want the XKR. I know I do. But the suspension is tighter, and my old- man ******* already bounce a bit on the N/A XK. Still... I want one.

. Did I happen to mention how much I love this car? I was almost T- boned in an intersection this morning by a guy running a stop sign at 35 mph and all I thought about was body damage to my car.

The following 4 users liked this post by Wild Bob:
kj07xk (06-19-2019), pwpacp (06-19-2019), ralphwg (06-19-2019), SinF (06-28-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Bob
For those XK owners not familiar with "The Book", its a 700 page compilation of secrets ( with a lot of contributions by the Jaguar engineers who designed the XJS) on how to keep that car from self destructing under the pressure of day.
That takes me back a bit. I have just checked my copy of The Book and my name is mentioned 41 times in it!

I had 3 XJ-S's over the years and was lucky enough to have extensive technical literature plus books and brochures on the cars so was always digging in to them to pull out information to share.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I bought my 2012 with 25k miles in March of 2016. I have owned Porsche and BMW prior, compared to previous this car has been problem free. Currently at 40k miles. I drive it hard every time I am in it, usually in sport mode and with traction control off. For me cars are consumable items, I take great care of it but don't baby it either. If I listened to all the 4.2L guys advising people that the 5.0L has problems I would be scared to leave my driveway, like Jagtoes says, no substantive data to back up the claims. I feel it is a self-perpetuating urban myth.

The 5.0 XK is just a great car, I recommend it wholely, the most problem free car I have had in a long time. For me the only issues are below, I don't count them as unusual, it is a car and **** happens:

1. AC Compressor failed in my first year - under warranty at the time so replaced no charge
2. Lower coolant hose burst - dealer replaced for $230, I found that very reasonable!!!
3. Back window in convertible adhesive gave out just recently - fixed myself with Rhino glue and clamps, $50
4. Sticky buttons - Cleaned them myself and they look good as new, all-in probably 1.5 hours in 30 minute increments over months, not a major garage repair just a more involved "cleaning".

I applaud those who check their oil or coolant every day, week, or trip, but that is not necessary. I don't do any of that, I simply rely on what is the system tells me. I don't count these as an issue as they are wear items, but I also replaced my battery in this time and brake pads recently. The fronts I did myself since it was easy, rears I had the dealer handle as it is different procedure, I supplied Ceramic pads and was charged $220 labor only, again reasonable!!!

Good luck.
I don't get the hate on the 5L. There are some issues, but definitely not enough to steer away just because of water pumps and such. Seeing the mileages on here for 5L cars, my biggest concern being intake valve cleanliness on a direct injected engine, it seems that Jaguar really did a very good job compared to say Audi on their implementation of emissions and intake tech keeping it clean up there even without gas acting as a solvent. No offense to your 40k miles, which really isn't enough to impress upon me long term reliability, but there are tons of way higher mileage 5L cars that indeed are setting my mind at ease and no doubt doing the same for you!

I will say that the 4.2L engine in the 07-09 X150s is very reliable, and with fettling, even my old nikasil 4L motors are too (obviously timing components on those). That does not mean the 5L isn't ALSO reliable. The 5L SC cars absolutely are faster than the 4.2L SC cars, and the 5L NA cars are very close to the 4.2L SC cars where really it's close enough that it's basically a driver's race, especially with that newer cars diff.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the insights, guys, and the memories. I joined the XJ-S forum on Jag-Lovers before it was a forum. Had many discussions with Kirby, some rather heated. I think he changed my mind more often than the reverse. Still have The Book on my hard drive.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Jag Man, I have your car.

Jag Man, I have a 2008 XKR convertible for sale. Gray with black interior, 68K miles. PM me if interested. It is on car gurus also. Zip code 02375.

I'd like to see this go to a Jaguar forum member and/or enthusiast.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Default Jag Man, I have your car.

...also will be at Barrett Jackson Northeast this weekend. I'll have the XKR with me. Hope to see some Jaguar forum member there.

Last edited by J5hort; 06-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM

Thanks, J5hort, but I'm not an open-air type

Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I'm not a caged-type. Same as when riding my bike..... I can't stand being all wrapped up in Pro-Gear, and Utah doesn't have an Adult helmet requirement, so I'm a 'vert guy then also.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Understood. Personal preference. Being from New England, there is a limited season for convertibles (until global warming fully kicks in). I find the best time for convertibles is early morning and early evening in the summer months. I do ride top down in strong summer mid-day sun, but really enjoy it beyond high noon. Night driving with the top down is also very enjoyable. The heated seats and steering wheel really help out when the weather here gets cooler and extends the top down experience.

My main concern around convertibles in the past has been the structural rigidity that is challenged by some convertibles made from hardtop designs. The more I learn about Jaguar design and engineering, I become more and more impressed. I learned that there is not one weld on this car. It is all SPR (Self Piercing Rivets) as in the aerospace industry. Not only is it a convertible by design, the top down appearance is seemless as the lines flow nicely when top is dropped.

I do not ant to hijack he thread, but a convertible pro/con thread might be in order to help prospective, new and existing Jag owners. I'll only add that the convertibles tend to be more valuable, not sure if they hold their value comparitively, but somethong to note.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

If you want a convertible, a coupe will not cut it and that's that; the guys who don't care for convertibles don't get the appeal. As far as resale, I think it won't really make a difference long term since both variants will continue towards very low dollar resale; buy which one you like. The coupe guys on the X100 forum all go on and on about how the coupes are rarer and will be more collectible, but the adage is "the top goes down, the price goes up" for a reason. The X150, even in convertible form is fairly rigid and you can have a blast with it. I own an X150 coupe and like it, but if I were to only have one XKR, I'd have a convertible; I also own an X100 Convertible and with their powers combined, I am happy.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
If you want a convertible, a coupe will not cut it and that's that; the guys who don't care for convertibles don't get the appeal. As far as resale, I think it won't really make a difference long term since both variants will continue towards very low dollar resale; buy which one you like. The coupe guys on the X100 forum all go on and on about how the coupes are rarer and will be more collectible, but the adage is "the top goes down, the price goes up" for a reason. The X150, even in convertible form is fairly rigid and you can have a blast with it. I own an X150 coupe and like it, but if I were to only have one XKR, I'd have a convertible; I also own an X100 Convertible and with their powers combined, I am happy.
Coupe vs convert is always a topic for discussion and usually has bigots on both sides. It's a matter of taste so there are winners on both sides. I love the lines of the coupe which was the reason for my purchase of my 66 XKE coupe. I also like the lines of the XK coupe but I wanted the open air for my bride and I to enjoy. Don't drive in the winter so I have a 3 season car and whenever it leave the garage the roof comes down. Are there more problems , yes but I'll fix them when they happen. As far as resale value I don't know how the convert will fare against the coupe but if you look back at the XKE years what is worth more today. Coupe or convertible.

The following users liked this post:
80sRule (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
...also will be at Barrett Jackson Northeast this weekend. I'll have the XKR with me. Hope to see some Jaguar forum member there.
just saw the hammer come down on your car! Congrats, sold for a good price and looked beautiful.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
The more I learn about Jaguar design and engineering, I become more and more impressed. I learned that there is not one weld on this car. It is all SPR (Self Piercing Rivets) as in the aerospace industry.
You probably know that riveted aluminum monocouque was the same technique used on the Spitfire, which was built in the very factory as our cars.
The technique was first used in cars by Colin Chapman of Lotus. Now a F1 standard.

When I bought my XKR, I was not aware of any road going cars other than ours that used Aluminum Monocoque, since then seems like everyone has gone to it. Including the BMW6 which was XK direct competitor. Even corvettes and Ford trucks are using AU frames. (baby steps)

Quick Reply: Sold the XJ-S, looking for an X150