XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Some things the XKR should have but doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some things the XKR should have but doesn't

I had my car in at the dealer last week for a couple of things and I was given an XF as a loaner. After driving it for a while it dawned on me, it has a backup camera and the blind spot lights in the side mirrors. Those are two
very nice items, Then why does the XKR not have these things, you'd thing that Jaguar might have realized by now that the blind spots and view out the back of the XKR is a heck of allot worse than the XF. Just a thought.
Also a couple of small items that don't make sense, The XKR seat memory, you have to hold the button in until the seat and every thing else is in position, On the XF you just push the button and let go, even my X-Type works that way. no big deal but why? My last item is the mic for the phone, I have no idea where it is in the XF it's hidden very nicely, but again on the XKR there it is big as day a large chunk of plastic sitting on the A pillar.
Not really complaining I love the car, just curious why these thing are the way they are, on a 100K plus car. When all of these items are available and being used in Jaguar's other models.

Any opinions?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree. Also at that price point I wished it had some scroll menu in the instrument cluster such as mini nav, radio, speed, engine temp, next service due, etc. Also, wish the outside temp was permanently displayed instead just in the home and climate screen. I also wish there was a seperate on/off button for the climate control on the dash instead of scrolling into climate screen to turn on/off the air. Now I'm nick picking.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I think earlier XK/ XKRs didn't come with those items you mentioned just because FORD was in a huge crisis and skimped some gadgets on the new models .
You can also see you have an "old-fashion" antenna while equivalent Germans come with modern antennas .
One thing also , old ones came with the traditional J-Gate whereas I reckon the newest XK Series (Tata Ownership ) come with rising Gear selector like XF models .
Back Up camera not a big deal you can always retrofit a one if you like

Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDERXKR08
I agree. Also at that price point I wished it had some scroll menu in the instrument cluster such as mini nav, radio, speed, engine temp, next service due, etc.
I couldn't agree more. I find the speedometer awkward to see around the steering wheel given my height/seating arrangement and being able to toggle the speed to a digital read out in the ctr insturment panel would be the perfect solution.

I also really wish you could drop the top from the key fob. Seems to be a standard option on most high end convertibles these days.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 PM

What about a 6 speed manual trans option, Every True Sports car has a 6 speed option

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A manual option would be nice. This is my third car with the automatic trans with the shifter paddles on the steering wheel and I have yet to use it once. It is just not the same without a clutch.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove an XF supercharged this past weekend. I was pretty disgusted with my XKR at the time and was thinking about trading. Luckily I got over it. After getting my XK back with everything working properly again, I realized there is one thing it has that no other Jaguar does. The ability to make me smile and wonder how I'm so lucky to have such a beautiful car to drive. None of the sedans come close in the looks department IMHO.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hughey
I drove an XF supercharged this past weekend. I was pretty disgusted with my XKR at the time and was thinking about trading. Luckily I got over it. After getting my XK back with everything working properly again, I realized there is one thing it has that no other Jaguar does. The ability to make me smile and wonder how I'm so lucky to have such a beautiful car to drive. None of the sedans come close in the looks department IMHO.
Your Sins have been forgiven, say 1 Hail Mary and 2 our Fathers. Now go in peace while we make the next XKR even better...

Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM

I drove both the XFR and XKR on the track during the R Performance Academy day and the XKR Has a better balance and you feel it better during the lap. Wheel doesn't give you the same perception. Also it's 300 pounds heavier and you can feel it.
What needs to be upgraded on both cars... the nave system...TOO Slow ...DVD base
Also should add a backup camera ...would help even if we have the sensors.
Blind spot would be a plus, I do agree.

But it still like my XKR better , in particular after my day on the track.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

How about a v12? to compare to a mercedes sl65?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm driving a loaner 10' XFR and I can't wait to get my 08' XKR back.
Yes there are a few things the newer models have that the 2007 XKRs definately should have, but the feel of the car is totally different. I am very glad NOT to have the pop up turn shifter that even the 10 XKR's now have. If they are the same ( and I am sure that they are) The thing feels like I am turning a dial on my microwave oven. Ill keep the stick shift thanks you!
And as for the comment about the manual earbox option.....The paddle shifter have been good enough for the formula one guys for years...it feels great to me.
Ill admit that I have modified my car a bit. I chiped the ecu and O2 sensors. I am planning on putting the pulley system in as well. I installed a Back up cam with two additional cameras on the blind spots in a three picture retrofit rearview mirror/screen and solved the back up cam problem. While driving normally the two blindspot cameras display on either side of the mirror and in reverse the center of the mirror turns into the backup cam. I also had installed the ACM which allows me to play my Iphone/ipod (although controlled by the device itself).
The bells and whistles are great to have no doubt. But common guys, you have got to love the way the XKR drives and feels. I think it is the perfect combination of luxury and performance.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had my '07 XKR for a few days now, but another thing this car needs is better side bolsters for the seats. Current seats are not very good for "enthusiastic" cornering!

Tim

Old 08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 XKR Portfolio, and love it. However, with the portfolio package, the ACM and adaptive cruise control should have been a standard op IMO. The B&W sound system is incredible. Once my passengers get settled they begin looking around the cabin and they always ask what that thin is on the A pillar. Lolol they could have hidden that in the cabin without slapping it on the pillar. Just seems like an after thought, even though it works very well lol.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

How about a delete option for the speed governor? Why have a 155 mph limiter on a car like the XKR that can probably do 190 or better unrestricted?

How about a fold-down rear seat? Since the powers-that-be have dictated the XK have four seats it might be nice to have a fold-down rear seat for those who travel alone or with one other person.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 AM

Yes remove the 155 limit !....FYI the XFR has been tested at ~225MPH (they removed everything inside)...but gives you an idea of how quickly the XKR can go...>190MPH for sure.
The rear seats are a joke in the XKR !, useless for an adult (I tried !), they just had to put two back seats for the certification, I guess.
Maybe good for a kid or baby.
I didnt even realize they could not fold, but yes...if you are going skying !

Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One other thing.... Here is a car that looks, sounds (and IS) just badass. But when you leave the vehicle and doubleclick the door lock button on the key fob....I'm sorry, that is just the most ANEMIC little beep there is!!! The "chirp" on my '01 XJ sounds MUCH better.

Tim

Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 PM

I agree about the locking beep, it is way too weak and I would also like a folding back seat for more storage.

I would also like to have smaller loops on the seat tops that would actually keep the seat belt clasp from getting pulled through them. It can be a pain to dig that thing through every other time I get in the car.

That said, my XKR is simply the best car I have ever had. I can't go to get in it without smiling ear to ear.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM

Haha my seat belt clip always gets caught there!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM

I can't understand why they made the loop so big.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM

No kidding. Beautiful car but I do miss some of the systems information I got off of my idrive on my 5 series. Everything can be done within the HU and the cabin doesn't need more buttons. It's that which I love bout it, relaxing and uncluttered. I also bought a quotrportte which has so many buttons.....EVERYWHERE! LOL drives me crazy.

Quick Reply: Some things the XKR should have but doesn't