XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound symposer removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Dave, I haven't really ever been able to hear any blower whine with my '10 XKR, so I can't say if it'll hurt or help, never really been able to hear it anyway.
Thank you sir, I hear it all the time in mine, but after 5 years worth of daily development on my Twin Screw Kit for the Porsche 928 a few years ago, I hear that TS whine in my sleep..LOL

Or maybe my ear is tuned to listen for it, and I do have crazy hearing!

Happy Monday,

Dave

Old 01-04-2022, 09:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Meth injection boost reference

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Exactly my thoughts too....I'm wondering if this might be a possible place to tap in a pressure port for a boost gauge. I've been reading about the ford focus guys doing this and the shape of the tube flange even looks similar, but I won't know until I have mine off. It's a pain to get to...

please tell me you have found an answer to that. I have a 2015 F type R and installing a snowperformance stage 2E meth injection system on it. im planning to tap the boost reference sensor of the system in the symposer. Not sure if that will work. U’ve had any luck?

Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Uh, no?
A supercharger puts boost into the intake manifold, not the air intake. Any physical boost gauge would need to tap directly into the intake runners or plenum areas.
You DO know that the OBD2 has boost values, right?

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Uh, no?
A supercharger puts boost into the intake manifold, not the air intake. Any physical boost gauge would need to tap directly into the intake runners or plenum areas.
You DO know that the OBD2 has boost values, right?
but the symposer on the f type is behind the engine and not by the intake in front of it and velocityap told me that there is boosted air there (they called it symphonizer). I am just not sure how accurate the boost reading will be. And yes im aware that obd 2 has boost values, but snowperformance boost reference uses a pnuematic hose that u connect to any charged air source.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hammam almulhe
................ snowperformance boost reference uses a pneumatic hose that u connect to any charged air source.
Okay, but that hose MUST be attached to a source with direct connection to the intake manifold. The compressed air goes directly FROM the supercharger into the Intake. That is the ONLY way it would work. If a supercharger caused any boost into the intake tubes, zero air of any sort would enter the engine.

jahummer (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 11:47 AM

Okay, but that hose MUST be attached to a source with direct connection to the intake manifold. The compressed air goes directly FROM the supercharger into the Intake. That is the ONLY way it would work. If a supercharger caused any boost into the intake tubes, zero air of any sort would enter the engine.

I think you are mistaking the symposer / resonator with center intake duct. From the attached image, the symposer actually comes after the intake manifold and not before it like the intake tube. Am i missing anything?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Using my limited knowledge, the symposer is attached to and gets it's input from the low pressure/vacuum side of the blower. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I wouldn't see why it'd be there on the HIGH pressure side because the "SUCK" sound wouldn't be there because No Suck to make sound. It'd be pressure.
On old Chevy's, people would flop their carb's air cleaner lids upside-down so all the air would go into the filter from the entire circumference instead of just the snorkel. That gave the Suck sound. Blowers don't make suck on the pressure side.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:20 PM

Using my limited knowledge, the symposer is attached to and gets it's input from the low pressure/vacuum side of the blower. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I wouldn't see why it'd be there on the HIGH pressure side because the "SUCK" sound wouldn't be there because No Suck to make sound. It'd be pressure.
On old Chevy's, people would flop their carb's air cleaner lids upside-down so all the air would go into the filter from the entire circumference instead of just the snorkel. That gave the Suck sound. Blowers don't make suck on the pressure side.
yes. I agree. It’s a very specific design question that we’re trying to answer. Anyway, i have sent an email to the engineering department in eaton (JLR SC providors) asking about the feasibility of using the SC outlet resonator as a boost reference. I have checked and they own the patent of this specific resonator design. We’ll see what they’ll say.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nasomi
Wouldn't the inside of the vehicle be quieter, especially at highway speeds, without this device?

Though best I can determine, if it fails, nothing bad happens?
I’m actually having the symposer tube replaced on my 2010 tomorrow. The cracked tube threw P0171 & P0174 codes (banks 1 & 2 too lean).

Old 01-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gatorVDP
I’m actually having the symposer tube replaced on my 2010 tomorrow. The cracked tube threw P0171 & P0174 codes (banks 1 & 2 too lean).
Too Lean means a vacuum leak. No vacuum where boost would be measured.

jahummer (01-05-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:39 AM
Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad this old thread was revived. In my quest to make my 2010 XK (N/A) even quieter, this came at a good time. I just removed the "sound-tube" hose from the air intake "Tee" and plugged the plastic spigot where the hose attaches, and put the hose back on. I didn't want to remove the tube, as a future owner might want to re-activate the option.
A lot simpler system on the N/A/ engines...
When my head cold goes away I'm anxious to see how much noise reduction I get...