XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeaks from the back going up hills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Squeaks from the back going up hills?

Hey all,

Lately my 2011 XKR Coupe has been starting to squeak and groan/creak when I'm going up the steep and mildly bumpy street I live on. Even at very low speed, the noise starts up when the hill is steep enough to transfer weight to the back. Changes in direction or inclination produce more squeaking groaning noise. Tonight I managed to get it to do it on a slight inclined section of road by 'slaloming' the car left and right super tight and fast at low speed (5 or so MPH), jerking the wheel left and right... Not crazy loud such that it would interrupt a conversation or overwhelm the stereo, but running silent it is a definite problem.

I made sure everything under the trunk flap (spare tire, tools, etc) are bolted down firmly, and have repositioned the seats countless times to see if they are the cause. Visual inspection under the car reveals nothing unusual, nor likely source of sound (I suspect more than one source).

Sounds like it is from the back, like a rear bushing or shock mount or something like that. Of course when I'm parked I can't replicate it by standing on the tailgate and trying to bounce the car (which is of course nearly impossible to bounce anyway).

Likewise, I tried to exert some lifting/bounce force to see if that would make it groan, but no luck there either (and no way to put much lifting force into it with no easy grab spot and a heavy *** car).

I would HATE to have to take a day to bring it in to the dealership for warranty coverage (especially given the unusual roads required to replicate) and blow a day waiting for it to get fixed. But squeaks and rattles drive me crazy and drastically reduce my driving enjoyment.

Anyone have a similar issue and solve it short of warranty/dealer? Stock 19" rims, everything looks clean and the noise continues whether the car is bone dry or freshly washed. A high-pitched creaking noise (like a creaky mattress kind of thing, but mixed with some lower octaves) that comes and goes as the road changes, but very noticeable going up my steep, slow twisty hill at 15 MPH even...

Advice appreciated as always,

Skeeter