XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starter

I've been having some starting issues lately which I thought was the battery. I travel a lot for work and leave the car parked for 3-5 days at a time. On one instance I left it at the airport for 5 days and when I returned it didn't want to start. I jumped it and all was well. Fast forward to a week ago and it didn't want to start after one day of sitting. So I decided to change the battery. Once I pulled the old one out, I saw that it was a jaguar battery from 2013. I put the new battery in, all was well. I had the old one checked and it checked out fine. So on Saturday my car wouldn't start again.
It was parked at a friends house. I tried jumping it but nothing happened. I figured it has to be the starter because I didn't even hear the starter click. So I order a new one, grab my tools and head over to change it at his house. I get in and the car starts with now hesitation. I left it over night and starts up fine.

Now I have the starter but I don't think it's that. Can it be the brake switch not activating the start button? Has anyone had a similar issue where they actually needed to change out the starter? In my previous experience with starters, once they go, they go and don't work anymore.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

If you are not hearing anything when trying to start I would agree with your thoughts on the brake switch.
There are several threads here on the subject where better detail is available. The only issue I had with starting was caused by my start sequence. I learned to make sure to press "start" first then foot on the brake. That seems to have cured my starting problems.

The following users liked this post:
nicobaires (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Next time it does not start see if you get a message on the display saying "PRESS BRAKE TO START". If you are pressing the brake and get that message it is probably the brake switch. If you don't get that message it is probably something else.

There are two brake switches. When you first touch the brakes there is one that turns on the brake lights and the cruise control off. This one will NOT activate the starter.
When you press the brake harder there is another switch that will activate the starter.

Ranchero50 (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I had a similar experience about a month ago. I replaced the battery but still nothing, not even with a jump. Replaced the starter and everything returned to normal.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It did it to me again, but then I pressed the brake pedal hard and it started. How many miles do you have when you replaced the starter? I only have 30,000 miles

Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Your starting problem sounds more like a brake switch problem than a starter problem. The starter has no way of knowing how hard you are pressing the brake pedal. The brakes switch(es) are actuated by the pedal. If pressing the brake pedal harder makes the system work I would start looking at the switch, linkage, and adjustments.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Here is the relevant troubleshooting guide from the service manual:

Not real helpful. You might try turning the steering wheel slightly and see if that has any affect.

nicobaires (08-03-2017)