XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticky Buttons console and steering wheel 2014 xk

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sticky Buttons console and steering wheel 2014 xk

Sticky buttons on the Steering wheel and console are getting worse over time.
I am aware of the faulty material used and the various cleaning methods arrempted. None seem to be the correct solution and I'm considering changing the audio/telephone buttons and the speed/cruise buttons on the steering wheel first.
Has anyone done this procedure?
Does the airbag have to be removed first?
Do the controls simply pry out then push and click in place once the electrical connects are made up?
Any tips?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

When you say 'sticky buttons' do you mean that they feel sticky or that they get stuck when you press them down (and don't pop back up).

Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Sticky to the touch. The button function is fine. The coating applied to these buttons and their surrounds to make them "soft touch" breaks down over time and heat makes them worse. They become very gummy and attract dust that is very difficult to remove.
Several people have tried to remove the coating but in my opinion it just makes the coating softer and gummier. Some have scratched the top coat down to the hard plastic but it gives a different appearance.
This has been a problem on several luxury vehicles. I had a Maserati with the same problem. I believe Ferrari and a few other cars have a similar problem.
I believe it started with 2010 models. It is not unique to our XKs. Several threads about this problem throughout this forum with other Jaguar models particularly in warm states.
As I recall, Jaguar issued a TSB concerning this issue at one point.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

To get to the switch rockers on the steering wheel, you must remove the air bag first. It takes a special tool (don't they all). I wouldn't go probing around in there with a screwdriver.
Also, if you find a source for those rockers alone please let us know.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:32 PM

It takes a T27 toes wrench to remove the airbag.
Switches can be found at:
www.jaguarlandroverenoparts.com

Old 11-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Actually it's www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts.com.
(I was missing an r in the last post.)

The following users liked this post:
JackJohn (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanL
Sticky buttons on the Steering wheel and console are getting worse over time.
I am aware of the faulty material used and the various cleaning methods arrempted. None seem to be the correct solution and I'm considering changing the audio/telephone buttons and the speed/cruise buttons on the steering wheel first.
Has anyone done this procedure?
Does the airbag have to be removed first?
Do the controls simply pry out then push and click in place once the electrical connects are made up?
Any tips?
All the controls on my 2013 were replaced by the dealer under warranty this year, the climate controls being done just a month ago as the parts were on back order for almost a year.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Just an FYI - on my 2007 XK the buttons are not sticky at all. Maybe Jaguar changed the composition of the buttons along the way (making them worse). Maybe try to source ones from the 2007 year if possible.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So far my 2012 has not had this problem. I am wondering if this is climate related as here in the NE we do not get continued high temps and humidity. I also don't use the car daily and it stays in the garage when not in use. So those who have this problem do you think it is climate related or that it will happen to all .

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Just an FYI - on my 2007 XK the buttons are not sticky at all. Maybe Jaguar changed the composition of the buttons along the way (making them worse). Maybe try to source ones from the 2007 year if possible.
The move to the stupid "soft touch" coating happened with MY 2012 up. I looked into getting the metallic buttons from previous years, but they generally aren't available on their own for the console or center display.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
So far my 2012 has not had this problem. I am wondering if this is climate related as here in the NE we do not get continued high temps and humidity. I also don't use the car daily and it stays in the garage when not in use. So those who have this problem do you think it is climate related or that it will happen to all .
I imagine the soft-touch coating lasts longer in more temperate climates, but I'd be willing to bet it always breaks down eventually. Fortunately, it's not like in other cars I've seen where the coating is also the paint for the buttons. As I detailed previously in another post, you can just scrape it off without losing the color or marking of the button.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a MY’11 XK without any issue.

However, not so with MY’13 XJ. I do live in the Desert Southwest and would contend that heat (not sun as both cars are well protected from sun exposure) has been a significant contributor to my issue.

This last summer (where the XJ mostly sat plugged in and covered in a hot garage) seemed to have “done them in”.

Good news (for me) is that I have a couple months left on my XJ warranty and all indications are that Jaguar will be replacing my switchgear under warranty. It goes in to the dealer on Monday for assessment and parts determination.