Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taking the Plunge - 2010 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

So did you pull the trigger on the car?

Either way, a couple of thoughts to +1 some observations here:
- I previously had an XK with 19" wheels before the XKR. Yes there is a noticeable difference in ride with the XKR, and yes I might call the XKR a little harsh. I've gotten used to it, but those low sidewalls on the 20" wheels are not forgiving.
- and yes, if the car has the 20" wheels, +1 (and a half!) on switching to Continental Extreme Contact tires. Made a big difference for me.
- drove mine across country a few months ago. Loved it. Wouldn't 't IMAGINE doing it in a different car now.

Also, though I've not seen it addressed on the forum, I REALLY wish the steeling wheel telescoped out a little more. (I asked about having the pedals moved forward, but no go.)

Old 07-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Yeah about that trip (great pics btw). How did you handle luggage?
I would take the XK on a long road trip, except for there is not enough room for the luggage. So I think it will be the XJ for us this summer. And it gets better gas mileage.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (09-25-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Yeah about that trip (great pics btw). How did you handle luggage?
Well, as you can see from the shots (thanks for the compliment btw), I was running solo. Everything fit neatly in the trunk (luggage, camera gear, full tool kit, snacks and small cooler)
Admittedly organization was key, but I wanted nothing in the cabin and everything in the trunk snugly secured so I could run about the mountain roads at a respectable clip.
Overall, it was pretty easy once you saw how the puzzle pieces fit together and stuck to it. Running dual would still be easy if you understood the back seats were now part of the trunk

davchr: With an XJ at my disposal, it certainly would have been a tough choice. My pace on the back roads would have pushed an XJ to its limits, (but obviously still a fun ride). The XK covered all the right bases at the time, and back roads became serious playgrounds for speeds I'd rather not mention.....

Peace!
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 07-20-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Sean W (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Does a wife count as luggage Vince? Hehe. I took a trip to the Mighty 5 in Utah as you but used the Cadillac. I considered FedExing the luggage in advance but it was cost prohibitive as we stayed in too many hotels. I also tried convincing my wife to have a central base in Utah and go back and forth to each park, but she wasn't having it. She reminded me we were taking 2 days to get down and 3 to get back, so 5 more hotels.

So ours was more of a 60's family road trip complete with food and only the occasional restaurant. It was a combination of nostalgia and regret, but overall a great time.

I did take every opportunity to point out how wonderful this road or that road would be in the Jag, to the point where I was getting the stink eye so I backed off.

Next time, maybe I go solo. For now, any road trips in the Jag are relegated to overnight.

FYI, if anyone wants to know, you can't FedEx your spouse.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great time.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

FYI, if anyone wants to know, you can't FedEx your spouse.
I let my wife know this and she said I am lucky as I would not like the ride in a FedEx truck.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'm 4 inches shorter than you, so there may be some discomfort I can't compare with, but no way would I have considered a rental for such an amazing trip.
I find when I head out to my favorite hiking spot, my wrists develop a minor aching by the time I get there. I've tried joggling things a tad, then leave it that way until the next trip to find a "sweet spot" that doesn't cause it, no dice. I just can't find a seat/steering wheel position combination with the limited seat mobility I have at my size that gets rid of it.

The XK's steering wheel just doesn't fit me. With the way it's tied into the car's system, I do not think aftermarket is much of an option.

Sean W (09-25-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

There is absolutely a noticeable difference with the XK with 19s and the XKR with 20s. Doesn't sound like the one inch could make much of a difference but believe me it does!!! I'm glad I have the 19s although the 20s can be gorgeous. Another example of form versus function. I don't like having my teeth rattling during a drive in my Grand Tourer....otherwise I could have purchased a base Jaguar F Type with non dynamic suspension. Besides I'm too old for sports cars.

Sean W (07-20-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

We have made long road trips in both XKs and the XKR. Regarding ride and handling the XKR has it over the XKs as to handling. But with that comes a stiffer ride which was quite noticeable at first but now 18 months on not much of difference. As for luggage capacity; if you pack; properly you can do an eight to ten day road trip doing laundry once with no problem.

Using the back seat you can even carry multiple sets of "dressy" clothing. We typically carry two carry on rollerboard style cases and two clothesbags with two hangers each in the back seat sharing space with my camera bag and her large purse. Two notebooks go in the camera bag along with all the camera gear.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to see a plain ol' XK today. Found a 2008 for cheap. Thanks again for the insight.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
There is absolutely a noticeable difference with the XK with 19s and the XKR with 20s.
This is true with any car and I try to avoid 20" wheels as much as possible. 20" wheels are sold on looks, not performance FWIW. More tire & less expensive tire choices at 19" as well.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
There is absolutely a noticeable difference with the XK with 19s and the XKR with 20s. Doesn't sound like the one inch could make much of a difference but believe me it does!!! I'm glad I have the 19s although the 20s can be gorgeous. Another example of form versus function.
Originally Posted by ralphwg
Regarding ride and handling the XKR has it over the XKs as to handling. But with that comes a stiffer ride which was quite noticeable at first but now 18 months on not much of difference.
It might depend upon the years you were comparing, as it appears that except for 2010 and 2011, the XK and XKR used different shocks (been researching this since my right front shock lost its lunch recently).

I went from 19" to 20" wheels on my XK, and the ride was only slightly more firm, and that is probably more due to my running the 20" tires at a higher pressure than the 19's to compensate for the 'squishiness' of the 20" tire I chose.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Congrats! Fellow 2010 XKR driver here. A few thoughts:
- EVERYONE has battery issues. No warranty covers this. Most will suggest "battery tenders." I use my XKR as my daily driver, so tenders are not really a factor for me, but if it's your "weekender," yeah, a battery tender is a good investment. And the MINUTE you've got battery issues, replace it. Lots of battery threads on here.
NOT true. This is an urban legend. I am on my fifth Jag and not one battery issue among them. True, all modern cars are heavily reliant on good quality volts and none more so than Jags but it is not Rocket Surgery to keep a good battery in the boot and keep it in good condition. I use two C-TEK's (two Jags) and have not had a battery issue in more years than I can count. DO NOT let this put you off.

Sean W (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
I use two C-TEK's (two Jags) and have not had a battery issue in more years than I can count. DO NOT let this put you off.
I think that's what pk is trying to say. Use a CTEK or equivalent and you won't have any issues.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
NOT true. This is an urban legend. I am on my fifth Jag and not one battery issue among them. True, all modern cars are heavily reliant on good quality volts and none more so than Jags but it is not Rocket Surgery to keep a good battery in the boot and keep it in good condition. I use two C-TEK's (two Jags) and have not had a battery issue in more years than I can count. DO NOT let this put you off.
As a board certified Rocket Surgeon, I concur.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
I think that's what pk is trying to say. Use a CTEK or equivalent and you won't have any issues.
Yeah, I was also trying to figure out which part of what I said was "NOT true." My own personal experience? That of the dozens of others on this forum? Meh. Who cares.

And, no, I never suggested it was a reason to not buy the car-- rather, I was addressing the OP's question.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I just bought a 2010 XKR July 7th. Almost 21k miles and it still smelled new. Brings a smile to my face every time I walk into the garage. Tip: Get into the habit of checking the coolant once a week for awhile. The coolant lines and water pump have been problematic.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I just bought a 2010 XKR July 7th. Almost 21k miles and it still smelled new. Brings a smile to my face every time I walk into the garage. Tip: Get into the habit of checking the coolant once a week for awhile. The coolant lines and water pump have been problematic.

BINGO!! Right as rain.. the weakest link to ownership. Otherwise fun and enjoyment.

chazaroo (09-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I've owned 5 Jaguars back to back, some simultaneously. 2XKs, XKR, XF, XJL. Every one of them has/had an annoying tire resonance as if it would be oscillating over perfectly good road surfaces. The absolute worst was the '12 XJL for that. Took it back to the dealer many times for a fix to no avail.

I got rid of the XJL and purchased the DWS 06 tires for both the '12 XF and the '10 XKR. These tires improved the ride for both cars BUT, at the expense of handling. The DWS 06 feels soft and mushy in handling, nowhere close to the cornering abilities of the stock Dunlops or Contis on the XF. The XKR has 20" wheels but, the XF had only the 18".

Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Yeah, I was also trying to figure out which part of what I said was "NOT true." My own personal experience? That of the dozens of others on this forum? Meh. Who cares.

And, no, I never suggested it was a reason to not buy the car-- rather, I was addressing the OP's question.
Ah - to clarify, this is the 'not true' bit - "EVERYONE has battery issues". While agreeing that a C-Tek is a very good thing, I never had any battery issues when I wasn't using one.