Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thougts on 2008 XK-R for someone looking at getting one

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thougts on 2008 XK-R for someone looking at getting one

Hey Folks:

I am looking at buying a 2008 XK-R. Any advice for someone that has never had a Jaguar before. Cost of repairs, normal maintenance. Does anyone track their car? If so how do they perform on the track? I have done some research on the internet but I wanted to go to the best source out there, current owners. What is the acceleration like from 100 - 150? being a track person the one thing I have discliked about my NSX is the lack of power coming out of higher speed turns. At 100 it takes me almost 1/2 mile to hit 125 and then I am braking for a turn. I don't race or drive excessively fast on the road but I do enjoy the track. Any input is appreciated.

David Rubnitz

Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey DR, welcome on board.
Are you looking @ a coupe or 'vert?

I have a 2010 XKR Coupe, they put in a larger motor in 2010, so I can only say so much about the 2008 XKR. The supercharged 4.2 in the 2008 is a well respected motor, seems solid in terms of reliability. And there are far more mods available than for the newer motor should you ever decide you need more power. Torque numbers are good, and you should feel a night and day difference in power compared to the NSX.

Keep in mind though that the XKR is NOT a mid-engined track car like the NSX. It is heavy as sports cars go, and the goal of the car is more along the GT lines than a track ready car. An amazing car to take long trips at high speed, twisty open road with an occasional hairpin and you are in heaven. Ultra-tight canyon roads with constant hairpins and (at least my 2010) feels a bit heavy and over-powered.

There are people who mod them for track use, hopefully some will post and give you an idea of what you'd need to do to turn it into a better track car.

Me, I'd leave it mostly as is. I'd strongly suggest buying a car with some warranty, as repairs can add up. Parts are not as expensive as I thought they'd be, but IMO a warranty on a car this complex is money well spent. There was a thread on the subject recently (on warranty vs. no warranty), try to do a search for it.

My 2010 pulls like a missile from 100-155 (limited @ 155!). Crazy. With traction not an issue, and an engine that has both big torque AND high HP at high RPM, AND a killer transmission, high-speed rolling starts are to die for. I'm sure the 2008 is close, plenty of HP and torque, and slightly lighter than the 2010+ models.

Given your interest in track use and 100-150 MPH runs, I'd suggest you look at coupes. More rigid and better suited for super high speed, better platform for a track car. And they look insanely beautiful. The convertibles are brilliant but IMO less ideal for your intended use.

How much $ have you budgeted? How soon are you looking to pull the trigger?

Keep us posted and once again welcome,

Skeeter

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the input Skeeter. I am definitely looking at the Coupe instead of convertible. While I track my car I do DE's not racing and I do it for the fun not for competition. My wife definitely wants a car with a better ride so the Jag would suit her better and i love how it looks. I do have to say that with 170,000 miles on my acura it has cost me little to take care of. Twice I have done the timing chain-water pump replacement as noted and a tune up. Otherwise no issues on the car ever. You really can't beat the NSX for that. I am hoping to do something within the next few months as long as the wife is agreeable. My price range was around $40k as I hope to get in the mid 20's for my car and then put an additional $15k cash into the deal. Either sell my car myself or trade in if they work a deal.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome DRubnitz,

Hey wanted to pipe in here but can only speak at a limited level because I've had my '07 XK for about 3 weeks now, and she has certainly not seen a track yet (buddy was trying to talk me into one coming up in two weeks, but I have yet to tear into my car in any sort of track prep. so trusting a used car as sold from a non-Jag dealership would be foolish) but I hope to have a chance some summer. Gotta buy a new Snell helmet someday too.

Anyhow, I have driven my lowly XK pretty hard this weekend on some of my favorite mountain roads against my buds '07 S4 Avant. Truthfully, the XK was no match against his Audi(also stock), which pretty much walked from me whenever he wanted in the straights or in the corners. I had a blast regardless and was very impressed with the capabilities my car showed me. I see room for improvement, but will only look at tires, a brake flush and pads. In a year or two I might look at lighter rims, but for now the 19" OEM setup I have is fairly responsive.

I just wanted to say that if this is what the first year basic XK is capable of, the XKR must be several notches above "Amazing". I still think that unless you look at an 2010 or newer XKR, cars like the Audi RS4 will still be getting by you around the track. Kicking up to the 510hp range says you will leave them on the straights, but I bet they will be on your bumper in the corners cursing. (I think the Audi's are just that good.)

(I may have offended a few XKR owners with my Audi comparison, and if their personal experience differs from these assumptions I apologize, and would like to here more from you.)

I shared track time with an NSX (mostly getting out of its way) with past cars and it too has my respect despite its low power numbers. You still show great taste in owning one...

As a lover of track time myself, an XKR may not always be the fastest out there, but I bet it is nothing but ear to ear smiles every lap...

BOL in your decision.
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks Vince, my NSX did excellent on the track in the turns but lacked power coming out and on the straight. My track of choice is just 20 minutes from my house and is very safe for a track. I have been tracking my car for more than 10 years and been instructing/coaching for more than 4 of those. getting used to a new car setup will be interesting but I leave my ego in the paddock and if someone is faster then me I have no problem pointing them by. In the NSX I catch people in the turns but when we hit the straight I can get around them before the braking zone unless they lift and in the race prep/instructor class no one really wants to lift Either way since I drive my car daily and on trips having more comfort on the orad will be nice since I am now 50 and not getting younger

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd imagine on edge, the XKR might be on the soft sprung side. They are balancing performance and street, vs. the track. NSX is a hell of car; the last few years with Xenon's was sure a pretty car. Really held its value well and was actually a bargain.

The Jaguar is a fine car when you consider the sum of its parts and what it can do.

The following users liked this post:
DRubnitz (02-07-2012)