Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire dressing ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Tire dressing ?

I recently got new tires for the XK. The tire tech advised me that "wet look" tire dressing was cheep looking and not good for the tires. He recommended a product that left the tires very black without the shine, however, he could not recall the name or brand of this product.

Have any of you guys heard of this story or of a product like this?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Back when I got trained as an aircraft mechanic I was taught that there was only one chemical that is 100% compatible with any and all possible tire compounds...

Soap and Water....

That and a scrub brush is all I use.....
Vince

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard that the tire dressing does damage, but good to know. What about Armor All?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I use Amor All on the tires. The key is to get the tire clean before applying. Use white wall cleaner when washing the car on the tires first. Rinse and then do the wheels and tires with soap as normal. Apply Amor All with sponge and really let it get in there. 10-15 minutes later wipe as much as you can off. A couple of rounds of wiping is generally necessary.

Tires will natural and nice for a month+

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Tbh I've never ever heard of anyone saying that sidewall tyreshine products can damage your tyres, seems like a bit of a stretch for me.
If so I'm lucky to be alive as I've used these products for probably around 12 years+ whilst doing extreme mileage and never ever head any issues!

Anyway, for me personally I use "Wet n Black" here in the UK, The process for me is to make sure the tyre is as clean as possible, after washing and allowing it to dry I apply the tyre shine.
I usually apply it with a sponge going around the tyre, getting nice n close to the rim whilst also ensuring the edges are covered. This method means I can get the best coverage possible and not miss any areas......all good

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
I've never ever heard of anyone saying that sidewall tyreshine products can damage your tyres
Such is the case for any Federally Certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (A&P) working on aircraft here in the US. Keep in mind that the aviation industry is all about safety, not looks. By law I could not put a dressing on a tire unless it was fully tested and approved by the FAA and tire manufacturer. (I must be truthful in pointing out that I have been out of that industry for over 10 years now, but am still comfortable with the above comment as still being true today.)

With the vast number of possible chemicals formulas and tire compounds in existence today (and changing each year), to think that a single dressing manufacture actually has an R&D department keeping up with each of them is, in my opinion, blind consumerism.

If we advance the question one step further: Ask how many tire manufacturers "recommend" a tire shine product? It would be an interesting challenge to find a number above zero...

Anyhow, let me step back to the reality of being a car owner, not an aircraft owner, I understand we all live for the "looks" of our cars, and personally I go through a set of tires on average every two years before they lack enough tread to be safe, so if a chemical compound on the sidewalls will cause problems at a molecular level 3, 4, or 5 years down the road, do we really care? Most don’t, and it is their car and call….

I'm the one stuck with the old training in my head that just keeps me doing what I know is "best" for my tires, so it remains soap and water for me...
Just trying to be helpful with thought provoking info....

Vince