XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XF TPMS Loose Initiator Antenna

Have had the intermittent "Tyre Pressure Monitor System Fault" for a month now..

Decided to take a look behind front wheel arches and there it was, out of place..

My initiator antenna nearside (UK) came out of its mounting clip and was resting on the undertray, after driving through a large puddle (small flood) .

Clipped it back in place and secured with zip tie.. Problem Solved.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the information. In the past I've visited the two in the front of the car and all was well there. I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to look at the rear two. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed! I'll do likewise and check mine today. Oddly yesterday it was only the rear two tires showing on the display. Given the drop in temps here the tire pressures as now only 29 front, 29.5 rear (at 50 degrees). They had been 32 and 33 at around 75-80, so not the 25% drop needed to set off the system.
It would be nice if just an antenna out of place. Wonder why the dealer did not check that? I know they had my entire front bumper off looking for loose/chaffed wires.
Can someone confirm if they are in the front of the wheel well (rear) or towards the back? The ones for the front two wheels are towards the front. Thanks!

Last edited by gwtbox; 11-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fixed! While I had it at the dealer for it's 60K maintenance I had them check it out. I had a bad TPMS module. Turns out the module is much cheaper than I assumed it would be. I am happy again. It was repaired at Jaguar Plano and my service advisor was Roy.

Name:  TPMSRepair.jpg
Views: 4799
Size:  34.2 KB

The following 4 users liked this post by fstick09:
CleverName (11-13-2012), Hailers (11-14-2012), KLMJAG09 (07-01-2014), Rahtok (11-13-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the information. BY the way, if it returns in the near future, please make another post stating so. The $175 is fairly cheap. Much lower than expected. I might go this way and buy a module.....after I check and make sure my rear initiators are in place and not flopping around.

I looked online and found one from JaguarMerriamParts.com for $144.61. Of course shipping would up that figure a bit.

Last edited by Hailers; 11-14-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM

If it makes a peep I will let you guys know.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$175 for the TMPS module? Wow, I was quoted $400+ at Autobahn jaguar. Is it a bear of a replacement or is it plug-n-play? From what i have read, it's behind the back seats, right? Still haven't been able to check the rear initiators but hope to get to that tonight.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM

GWTBOX..................after replacing the module, the facory manual says "Using WDS, configure a new module". So I'm guessing it's not plug and play. I just know what I just now read in the manual.

WDS acronym stands for WorldWide Diagnostic System.

Last edited by Hailers; 11-28-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Just an update. I have been running clean since the replacement.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM

Thank you Stick

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok- same problem- my area hit 12 degrees - everyone had the lights go on from ford to mercedes. I mean in a 1o min period each light goes on for each tire.
I reinflated to 35lbs
same problem.

so, I today I did
a) engine off brought it to 17 lbs
b) engine on inflated to 35lbs and will wait a few days to see

I spoke to out of state tech- who said - due to the cold the transmitter or whatever merely has to be reset by jag to correct frequency.
unfortuantely i live in area with 3 dealerships who say
"good morning that will be $1000. before u say the problem"

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Odd you posted this today. Today I was going to post that I'd fixed this problem.

The FIX in my case was reseating the two electrical plugs on the TPMS module located behind the aux junction box. You can massage the wires on the two plugs with your fingers and see if that corrects the problem or not without actually removing the aux box to get to the plugs.

I did this and then drove the car for a few miles before the warning went away. It's been almost a month with no problems. In all sorts of temperatures. Mid 20's to mid 70'sF.

I think your tire pressures differ from what mine should be (stk 2007XK).

Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overcharging TPMS Replacement

This is a great post. My dealer is charging me $670 for the exact same service at Jaguar Elmhurst in Illinois!!! Maybe I should drive my car to Texas????

Name:  TPMSRepair.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  34.2 KB[/QUOTE]

Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM

This is a great post. My dealer is charging me $670 for the exact same service at Jaguar Elmhurst in Illinois!!! Maybe I should drive my car to Texas????

Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine quoted me $264 just for the module....

Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

You can buy a new TPMS Control Module for $100.00 from an offical Jaguar Parts seller.

This dealer offers each component needed for a TPMS system rebuild.

Here's the link....so you can see for yourself.

Perhaps you may want to ask your dealership why they are charging so much.

https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...R%20COMPONENTS

Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Default 2010 XK TPMS Problems on Drive Home

Just purchased my 2010 XK near Chicago and on the way home after purchase of course and late on Saturday night, the TPMS came on displaying low pressure. Light stayed on on for a little while, making me exceptionally nervous, so I stopped and checked pressures on all tires and all were good. Continuing on trip home to south of Indianapolis and TPMS must have gone off 100 times...it went from tire to tire to tire randomly. Reading thru other XK owners with same issue and hope to find a way to resolve without repeating the drive north to Jag dealer I purchased the car from. I am a little ticked that all I heard from dealer was car is perfect..never had a problem....etc....and instant I get it on interstate.....absolutely ruined the whole drive home!!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
TPMS is a major annoyance and a costly product to service and repair.
Big easy money for service centers and tire shops.

Although I have not spoken to Jag owners that have done this, there are two common fixes discussed on other forums. The first and most popular is to remove the TMPS sensors from the tires, and install all 4 inside your spare. Set the pressure and your done. If the Jag identifies the tire by location, then it could be a bigger pain, as you would need to relocate the antennas (Or buy 4 new at $11 each) to the trunk area. If it is just a singular system (common alert regardless of tire location) it is very simple because the rear antenna picks up all 4.

The second what we called a "pipe bomb" where you take 4 or 6 inch PVC thickwall, put the sensors inside, drill and mount a valvestem, and seal the ends... Same principle... pump it up, tuck it away in your trunk, and yer done.

food for thought...
Vince
These solutions won't work on the 2009 XF (and probably higher) because the modules are in each wheel well. You'd have to make a pipe bomb for each wheel.

FWIW, batteries in TPMS are intended to last about 5 years, so that's likely what you're up against is a low voltage sensor working intermittently.

(I know this post is old, but the information is more and more relevant as more people have TPMS issues).

Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM

I just tried this on my 2010 XK coupe.
I didn't think it would work but by George it worked like a charm.
Turn off engine
Drop pressure from 32 to 22 lbs.
Turned on engine and with engine running filled all tires INCLUDING THE SPARE! to recommended pressure.
No more indicator.
I think it was temp related as I had new Continental DWS tires installed in Feb. When it was Chicago cold. As the temp got over 80 the warning came up on the screen.
Now it is fine.
Thanks for the tip and saving me from a big bill at the Jag dealer.

Last edited by Rickyboy; 07-07-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added a pic
Old 09-16-2020, 09:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to resurrect this, I have the exact problem described. I have had the car for a year - no problem. Three days ago it just started happening. No code show in the diagnostic tool. Red low-pressure warnings moving around from wheel to wheel. Here is a video showing it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Np5w8C3PSPoYNvTx6

I have already done the "let air out, fill back up" all tires. I did that last night and I still had the problem today - though oddly it seemed less frequent. But the issue does vary, so may be normal variance.

I may go buy a TPMS if I can get one cheaply enough to be willing to take the risk that it does not fix the issue.

I could not tell from this discussion whether, after replacing the TPMS module, there is further configuration required. Can I just swap it out and put the new one in? Or is there more to do?

I guess I am not the only one ....

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitoring system