XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire and Wheel coverage - tire vs pothole...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel coverage - tire vs pothole...

I purchased a 5 year tire and rim coverage package when I bought my car. I felt comfortable with the underwriter, IAS, as I had the same plan on my previous BMW with great success. During my 5 year coverage with the bmw runflats and forged rims I had about $8,000 in claims paid for a policy that cost $1500 total.

So, I am 6 months into my Jaguar plan which I paid $1050 for a 5 year term. Covers tires, rims, and curb rash. I had a catastrophic tire failure from a direct pothole hit, the tire immediately ruptured. There was no rim damage but would have been covered if that was the case.

New tire with install from dealer (no one else had them in stock) - $240 and IAS reimbursed me $232 due to standard fees they pay.

Also, about a month ago I had 3 rims with curb rash that I had repainted which they paid $270 to cover.

Like all plans there are exclusion and certain standard payouts, if anyone is looking at this same provider I can give more detail on what those are. I believe you can only buy this plan from a dealer when you buy the car, I do not think it is available to purchase by an individual.

Last edited by tampamark; 11-16-2016 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I do not think it is available to purchase by an individual.
Bummer

Old 11-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

When I bought my XE, I did not go for the tire/wheel insurance. I was at the dealer a month after and the owner (one of the Chambers) said I could get the policy later on. The finance guy called me, I called him and never heard further.

At this point, I don't care as much as I did a few weeks ago...

Old 11-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Most vendors will sell you riders (such as wheels and tires) if you're already covered under an extended plan. They usually require an inspection first.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

I can only speak to the IAS plan as I can safely state that they do not screw you out of paying claims. There are other providers and maybe they have different rule structures but in that case it is best to research to see how well they cover and pay.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I have had plans from other providers that refused to pay any of my claims, so I gave up on them. I even had the dealer give me a full refund on a provider because they couldn't get my claims paid even when they took the photos, did the inspection and validated that my claims were legit. Very aggravating indeed. Sounds like you hit the lottery with yours! Glad to hear that.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

This is the case with any coverage extension, the selection of a quality provider is critical.

For my previous BMW I had the IAS plan, it is very clear what will get paid and what will be denied. For instance:

1. A tire with less than 3/32 tread depth
2. Tire failure because of impact with curb
3. Curb rash on brushed metal rims, only painted rims will have curb rash coverage.
4. Covers the rims on the car when you bought it.
5. If you authorize and start repair prior to them granting approval, you are screwed.

I can tell you I did not have one claim denied, but I knew the rules above and followed them. Having replaced 6 runflat tires and 5 rims via coverage I became intimate with the process.