XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Top gear Jaguar XKR S

Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top gear Jaguar XKR S

The Jaguar XKR S is pitted against the Nissan GTR this sunday on Top gear.
Watch the end of this preview, that Jag may possibly be the best sounding car I have ever heard.

Transmission – BBC Top Gear Jeremy and Andy Wilman discuss Sunday’s new show «

Old 07-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Now if you could just bottle that sound and sell it!! Would make a great ringtone

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for posting/the heads up. If they test the S against the GTR in the wet it's not a fair fight since the GTR is all wheel drive. Even in the dry they're apples and oranges cars

Last edited by RJC; 07-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 PM
RJC

Trying to delete extra posts but can't, sorry

Last edited by RJC; 07-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks for posting/the heads up. If they test the S against the GTR in the wet it's not a fair fight since the GTR is all wheel drive. Even in the dry they're apples and oranges cars
I agree....UNFAIR.....UNFAIR.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh, can't wait for 8pm this evening!
Should be a good 'un.

Don't be surprised if the GTR runs rings around the XKR-S though, at least around the bends.

You guys don't have corners over there though, so that doesn't matter .

Old 07-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Would be interesting indeed, the advantage for the XKR-S is that it has more whp as the drivetrain losses are bigger with the Nissan.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow....the GTR rans rings around the Jag in almost every dept, an awesome machine.

On the flip side, they did an exercise where they built a "train" of sorts using a car as the locomotive. JC decided to use an XJS V12 while Hammond and May went for the Audi S8.
Man that was soo funny......

Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by avos
Would be interesting indeed, the advantage for the XKR-S is that it has more whp as the drivetrain losses are bigger with the Nissan.
I think the nissan's HP is factory underrated though...

Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Yikes....I thought the XKR-S would do better with more power and less weight than the GTR. XKR-S has a better power to weight ratio.

GTR obviously is underrated from Nissan but the Jaguars should be also.....I remember someone on the XFR forum dynoed 460RWHP which equates to 552HP to the flywheel with a 20% parasitic loss. That's 42HP more than advertised.

I wonder how much advantage does an AWD have on a track.....obviously it would have a huge advantage from the hole in a straight line......reason is I saw a video on testing 3 cars with AWD (McLaren MP4-12C, Lambo Performante, Audi R8 V10) and 3 cars with RWD (Ferrari F458, MB SLS, PCar GT2)on a track from Ben Collins (Previous Stig on Top Gear) and the top 2 cars with the fastest lap time was the RWD (F458 and GT2).

Going to watch the Top Gear episode now........

Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a dumb comparison, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the Nissan GTR would be faster. Its a all out sports car vs a gt car. Why didn't they compare it to a aston? Secondly, they tested the cars in the wet giving the AWD GTR even more of an advantage. By his logic the GTR is better than the veyron because its faster around the top gear track.... Im not discrediting the GTR, its an amazing car, but that was not a fair review. At least the Jag was faster then all the astons :P

Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Just saw the show and.....Wow.....the GTR was a beast. I do agree...not a fair review. They probably thought both cars with about the same HP and weight and now Jaguar bringing out the "RS" it would be a close comparo.

Also.....they should have:

* Ran both on a dry track
* From a 30MPH roll for a mile

Even on a dry track, I'm sure the GTR would have won easily but testing the Jag in the wet was just a disaster for a rwd car. The GTR just has better technology, gearbox (how Jeremy praised the new DCT), suspension and launch control (although Jeremy making fun of launch control).

The XKR-S was no slouch as it was faster around the track than any AM but if they want to compete with the supercars....they need to step up their game. But again....I don't think Jaguar was really aiming at the supercars when designing the XKR-S.

Although the '12 GTR had incredible performance numbers....I still would buy a 997TT PDK over the GTR. Taking a ride again last week in my buddy's 997TT was incredible.

It just shows what we knew all along...the GTR is supercar fast (faster than the 599 GTO at the Top Gear test track) and the XKR-S is a fast and capable GT.

BTW...Jim was right....the XJ Express was halarious. Love the Economy Class.....

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 07-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM
RJC

Like I said at the beginning of the thread (still haven't seen the episode), apples and oranges comp, two completely different types of cars and I doubt most XKRS shoppers would be cross shopping a GTR or visa versa... When Porsche finally makes the Panamera Turbo/S Coupe that would be a better comp...no doubt the current 4 door Panamera Turbo S would drive circles around the Jag but man they are fugly lol

They should test it exclusively against the two news Astons, the V8S and the Virage.

Last edited by RJC; 07-17-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

TG is an entertainment show, but to be honest, I didn't think the comparission was that badly choosen as sadly I can find myself in some of the comments.

But Wow, am impressed about the gtr, what a car.

The xkr lost considerable amount of time getting of the line due to being wet and only rw drive, but when they crossed the line the XKR had actually regained some of its loss.

@ghostriderxkr08
From a rolling start the XKR could very well be a little faster, as it does have more power to the wheels.

I am not so sure about the 460 rwhp dyno yet, I haven’t seen any of the details of that particular run, it might as well have been SAE-NET correction, (which would be about then more close to 437 rwhp). Also the newer XKRs have the 2nd gen 6HP26 gearbox that does lockup under load, so the drive train loss is lower, I would suspect about 15% on dynos with 1 large drum per wheel (more like 17% for the older versions).

Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like most ppl said, it was comparing apples to oranges. the GTR destroyed the times on the track and it def needed launch control. I knew it was going to be bad going in but I didn't think it would have been like that. As soon as I saw JC in the jag I figured we were in trouble. He was right about the red calipers tho, they just don't belong on a jag imo.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
RJC

Yes TG is an entertainment show but usually they comp cars that make sense...this did not.

Yes as I've mentioned from the beginning the testing was in the wet and even more of a reason made no sense. I think the red calipers look good depending upon the color of the car

I do love the show however, always puts a smile on my face.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
RJC

Yes TG is an entertainment show but usually they comp cars that make sense...this did not.

Yes as I've mentioned from the beginning the testing was in the wet and even more of a reason made no sense. I think the red calipers look good depending upon the color of the car

I do love the show however, always puts a smile on my face.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that bad comparison isn't going to make me not watch it...the train part was awesome. something tells me that they did it on purpose b/c ppl have complained that they're too infatuated w/ jags

Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 PM
RJC

Dream job for those 3 guys...and Clarkson/Hammond can really drive

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

You mean Captain Slow can't drive....

Although JM has driven the fastest of all of them at 259 MPH in a Bugatti Veyron SS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top gear Jaguar XKR S