XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Torn between 2 XKR's which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

It really all depends on region, as California is cheaper for custom upholstery than Michigan for some reason. I bet the quality of work is at least on par with Michigan but likely better in California. My 87 Corvette sport seats were very close to 84 standard seats and I consider them the best hold you in place non-recaro car seats I've ever had. Nice leathel and stitch work on them, I like a lot!

That said, CHARGE ME MONEY FOR THAT FABRIC.

Last edited by 80sRule; 10-01-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

T Berg

Talk about thinking outside the box the leather/job looks amazing

As a xk owner the interior is a major let down they surely deserve something a little special heck even a rs3 hatchback has a better trim

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (10-03-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Steve,
I agree with you. The X150's interior is not as special as I think it should or could have been. As for the Pantera. I also did the dash and console in black leather with red stitching. Hopefully, pictures of the finished product tomorrow evening. It's been a very long time in the making!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Wow, someone was desperate to mimic a Dynamic R. The on road cost for one of those was only £69,950!

And the only options left for a Dynamic R were:

20" Vulcan Gloss Black finish alloy wheels – £515.00
Adaptive Front Lighting with dynamic pivoting headlamps and integrated cornering lights – £440.00
Piano Black Veneer – No Cost Option mine has the light carbon effect which I think looks nicer
3-spoke Heated Sport Steering wheel, trimmed in Jet Suedecloth with 'R' badge in lower spoke – £500.00
"R" – Carbon Fibre Engine Cover – £1,295.00 OK I can appreciate painted calipers but really??
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System – £410.00
Universal Garage Door Opener – £310.00
what does this look like...is it a regional variance as guess 95% of UK garage owners don't use theirs

It has the bits in bold, I didn't list them as they weren't bold on my spec sheet so assumed standard items...like it has a heated front screen which I'd assumed was standard as also not in bold

Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
And by the way, the Corvette seats were torn to shreds before we re-upholstered them.
Did your big cat do this deliberately??

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Marky,
If my big cat doesn't come home tomorrow night, I'll be doing it to the shop owner who has kept her for the last 4 years. I'm sharpening my claws, now!

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
BruceTheQuail (10-02-2018), MarkyUK (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I've never actually jumped into a car and wished for it to have cooled seats am I missing some sort of experience here ???
Yes.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

The lines of the car exterior are much more evident in silver than in white, it's just color/light physics, and to be honest, the quilted seats and door panels will appear dated
well before the standard sport seats and they are not cooled. Think all the ruched interiors of the 80's (or better yet, don't).

Old 10-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Cooled seats really

Sydney gets regularly into the high 30s during summer I've still never wished for a ice cold seat ... simply ridiculous

MarkyUK (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

What I found strange about the performance option seats in this car was it was charcoal with RED (sorry just saw they were white) stitching. That being said I like the white threads but not so much the diamond. Kind of reminds me of 50's hot rods over here. As for cooling/heating seats you would have to discuss that with my bride. I must admit the cooling feature is great after a round of golf in 90*F weather or cruising with the top down and the seats and AC keeping it relatively cool . Then again the heated steering wheel and windshield are great for cold weather cruising. As I mentioned the mileage difference out weighs the seat type but then again the color could top that .

Last edited by jagtoes; 10-02-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the silver. But to each his own taste.
I shopped online for three years before I found it. A low milage, one owner, no accidents reported. Dark Color for me, Black interior on a black car too. It does have a few dings, but I wasn't looking for a show car, but rather a daily driver. Good luck with what ever you choose, and do keep us posted.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Cooled seats really

Sydney gets regularly into the high 30s during summer I've still never wished for a ice cold seat ... simply ridiculous
Yeah, well, when it's in the 40s, noon and with the top down, it gets pretty toasty. Cooled (actually vented, no cooling at all) seats are quite 'cool'. I use 'em quite often and am glad that I have them.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Car interiors are a very personal thing, as is your car.

When I bought my X100 back in 05 I knew I'd be doing quite a lot to it, so first on my list were performance/economy upgrades, so:

1) Higher lift cams
2) straight through zaust with all boxes barring the rear removed and for 8yrs catalyst bypass pipes...it was biblically loud!
3) BMC carbon dynamics intake
4) LPG/propane conversion*
5) remap of both petrol and gas ecu's
6) Royal purple 5w30

* The Jag community was up in arms back in 2005 when I had mine converted, probably the same old die-hard's that objected to SC's and diesels, it was written up in Jaguar owner as 'Big Cat with Gas' in Oct 05

Then cosmetic:
a) complete leather retrim (cost £750 as I bought the leather) oatmeal outer and perforated blue centres to lift the interior into this century
b) removal of from number plate and stick on replacement
c) rear wheel spats
d) xenon OEM lights and lit LED side markers
e) upgrade to premium sound with an 11 speaker infinity kappa speaker upgrade (even main dealer said this sounded better than the B&W and harmon systems)

in 2006 I covered 32k miles in 2007 24k and the business miles claimed covered to costs of all of the upgrades, insurance and servicing! Plus with LPG between 32-52ppl this was a less than 33-45% the cost of petrol and if driven carefully the car could cover 800 miles without having to stop for fuel. Natch there's nowhere in the UK that's 800 miles away driveable and my bladder would never have held out!

This was the finished article:

Then 24th of June 18 this happened at McDonalds (see...that stuff can be as bad for your cars health as yours)...if I'd not had to wait for a porridge it could have been avoided

So having owned one of the first 50 XK's off the production line in 96 in launch colour Antigua blue, it was nostalgia that I wanted one of the last, hence the 2014 XKR

I don't intend to do anything to my latest purchase cosmetically (excepting the black bonnet vents and number plate change) oh and white R decals on the black calipers. The number plate re-site is not technically legal, but in the 2 instances I've had police walk around the vehicle I drew their attention to it. In both cases they said that it was fine and suited the car...and that it would take a complete idiot of a pc to give me a fine on something as beautiful.

The XKR, however, whilst still beautiful is more like a blunt instrument rather than as elegant as my X100...all IM(not so H)O

As a legacy the number plate M16 XKB will be going on my new purchase, I bought it as my name is Mark and live at number 16, little did I know that I looked like a super-spy MI6 ex KGB!! It was a complete pain to always drive it wearing a tux and with theme music blaring!

Will post up some pics once new one is delivered and valeted, am spending £1000 on this as want it done well

Last edited by MarkyUK; 10-03-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

You don't know till you try them. They aren't ice cold, they just take the sticky uncomfortableness away.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:21 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

You don't know till you try them. They aren't ice cold, they just take the sticky uncomfortableness away.
Tried it, loved it and wish I had it! :-)

Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Mark you mentioned higher lifting cams ...tell me more what were the specs and obviously you had he cams reground?? I'm yet to find anyone that makes off the shelf stuff

Old 10-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

I believe the cooled (vented) seats are more appropriate to geographical locations which experience high humidity rates during the warm seasons. Thus all the varying opinions both positive and negative.

MarkyUK (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
The lines of the car exterior are much more evident in silver than in white, it's just color/light physics, and to be honest, the quilted seats and door panels will appear dated
well before the standard sport seats
and they are not cooled. Think all the ruched interiors of the 80's (or better yet, don't).
I think you need to speak to Bentley about their Mulliner spec that's been produced for over 13yrs...still has quilter leather in 2018

Tell me did they have the quilted option in your 2013?

Last edited by MarkyUK; 10-03-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I had them in my second XF and found the sensation of air being blown on the back of my legs to be quite unpleasant, like someone standing behind you breathing on you, so I only used it once. Maybe if the car had been sitting out in the sun or a 'vert it would be more useful? It isnt air conditioned, on my understanding, it is just a fan blowing air.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Car interiors are a very personal thing, as is your car.

When I bought my X100 back in 05 I knew I'd be doing quite a lot to it, so first on my list were performance/economy upgrades, so:

1) Higher lift cams
2) straight through zaust with all boxes barring the rear removed and for 8yrs catalyst bypass pipes...it was biblically loud!
3) BMC carbon dynamics intake
4) LPG/propane conversion*
5) remap of both petrol and gas ecu's
6) Royal purple 5w30

* The Jag community was up in arms back in 2005 when I had mine converted, probably the same old die-hard's that objected to SC's and diesels, it was written up in Jaguar owner as 'Big Cat with Gas' in Oct 05

Then cosmetic:
a) complete leather retrim (cost £750 as I bought the leather) oatmeal outer and perforated blue centres to lift the interior into this century
b) removal of from number plate and stick on replacement
c) rear wheel spats
d) xenon OEM lights and lit LED side markers
e) upgrade to premium sound with an 11 speaker infinity kappa speaker upgrade (even main dealer said this sounded better than the B&W and harmon systems)

in 2006 I covered 32k miles in 2007 24k and the business miles claimed covered to costs of all of the upgrades, insurance and servicing! Plus with LPG between 32-52ppl this was a less than 33-45% the cost of petrol and if driven carefully the car could cover 800 miles without having to stop for fuel. Natch there's nowhere in the UK that's 800 miles away driveable and my bladder would never have held out!

This was the finished article:

Then 24th of June 18 this happened at McDonalds (see...that stuff can be as bad for your cars health as yours)...if I'd not had to wait for a porridge it could have been avoided

So having owned one of the first 50 XK's off the production line in 96 in launch colour Antigua blue, it was nostalgia that I wanted one of the last, hence the 2014 XKR

I don't intend to do anything to my latest purchase cosmetically (excepting the black bonnet vents and number plate change) oh and white R decals on the black calipers. The number plate re-site is not technically legal, but in the 2 instances I've had police walk around the vehicle I drew their attention to it. In both cases they said that it was fine and suited the car...and that it would take a complete idiot of a pc to give me a fine on something as beautiful.

The XKR, however, whilst still beautiful is more like a blunt instrument rather than as elegant as my X100...all IM(not so H)O

As a legacy the number plate M16 XKB will be going on my new purchase, I bought it as my name is Mark and live at number 16, little did I know that I looked like a super-spy MI6 ex KGB!! It was a complete pain to always drive it wearing a tux and with theme music blaring!

Will post up some pics once new one is delivered and valeted, am spending £1000 on this as want it done well
Any info on the higher lift cams

Quick Reply: Torn between 2 XKR's which would you choose?