XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Totaled XKR - Donor Car Opportunity???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled XKR - Donor Car Opportunity???

Hi All,
I was the proud owner of a 2007 XKR convertible for less than a week when someone rear ended the vehicle. Insurance has declared the vehicle a total loss, and I believe that is mainly due to the cost of repairing the all aluminum body. I drove the car briefly after the accident and I think that the running gear and drivetrain are all in good shape. It seems a shame to just send this beauty off to the scrap yard.

Could I use the XKR drive train and running gear as a donor for a kit car? Has anyone done something similar?

Regards
Mike

Old 06-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I think one could, but not sure how handy you are or how much extra cash you have to dump into the project. Could do a bunch of stuff to the car.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 AM

Ok - budget is $20k and I don’t have time or skill to DIY the project.

2007 XKR donor + $20K.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

well you can pick up another 2007 XKR for 20-25k. If you're not handy or don't want to deal with the part transfer (takes time and a lot of space to do this), just sell the totaled car, add the cash to the 20k from insurance and buy another.

There are a lot of good parts left on that car, especially the motor.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by olysan
Ok - budget is $20k and I don’t have time or skill to DIY the project.

2007 XKR donor + $20K.
Having done several engine transplants the sophistication and evolution of the engine management systems will be the largest hurdle in my opinion. I don't have a lot of knowledge with the X150 series cars but from what I can glean the ECM is part of the overall cars electronics and there aren't any vendors I am aware of that have separated out the engine controls from the rest of the cars sensors. Unlike the GM series of engines that can be purchased with aftermarket ECM's that are independent from the overall car , Jaguar aftermarkets aren't available. Others may chime in here but I think this is the biggest challenge. Good luck if you do this but find yourself a good car builder .

Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I see this as an opportunity for someone with the requisite skills (Ranchero50?) to use the running gear as the basis to build a fabulous Jaguar replica. The XKR body may be toast, but the mechanicals seem OK. Kits are available from various sources.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...s-replicas-13/

Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd find an base XK and swap all the goodies from the //R into it. If you change all of the modules the electronics won't know it's a different car. I'd even consider a VIN swap if your inspections will flag it. MD just started doing unmanned emissions kiosks and they only look at the electronic VIN for the car. Old school humans checked the metal one too.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great replies and info. Now that I've had a day to kick it around, I realize that I don't have the time to put into a project so I'm going to let the insurance company keep my XKR and start the search for a replacement. FWIW - The insurance company quoted me a scrap value of ~$5900 for the vehicle. That seems low considering the limited damage and it might be a money making opportunity for someone who's in the business of fixing these cars. I drove the vehicle home from the accident and to the body shop (around 15 miles total) and I didn't notice any issues.

Mike

Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Did you take any pictures of the damage.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by olysan
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great replies and info. Now that I've had a day to kick it around, I realize that I don't have the time to put into a project so I'm going to let the insurance company keep my XKR and start the search for a replacement. FWIW - The insurance company quoted me a scrap value of ~$5900 for the vehicle. That seems low considering the limited damage and it might be a money making opportunity for someone who's in the business of fixing these cars. I drove the vehicle home from the accident and to the body shop (around 15 miles total) and I didn't notice any issues.

Mike

Sounds like a plan. There are some deals out there....

5900 seems a good deal indeed. Drive train, wheels, interior, front end, I'd bet there is 12-15k of sell-able parts there for a patient person with an extra garage

Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM

I think my wife has pics. Let me see if I can get them

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

A picture would help in understanding the level of damage and how that number fits.

When my 07 vert was rear ended last year I thought the damage was barely noticable. However, the inner panels of the boot were bent and had to be replaced.....long story short, it came to $16K to fix. The other guys insurance (SF) fixed it plus an extra $2K for rental instead of totaling it! The car was perfect after that though as it was done by a Jag approved shop in Atlanta. My point is, it may appear like an easy fix and if have those capabilities, great. It is not something most any bump shop can do though and certainly not something an average DIY'r would have tools to undertake.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:46 AM

Yep, I totally agree. The local Jag dealer quoted $19K to fix + the possibility of another $10K once they get in there. The AL body is definitely bent. But... the car is full of good parts. Starting with the tires which are nearly new with around 5K miles on them.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear ...

What color combo inside/out/top etc... ? I'm sure there are parts for it that would sell for more than the ins price... but that'll depend on how dirty you want to get dismantling some parts and if you have the room ...

Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Here's a picture.

Attached Thumbnails Totaled XKR - Donor Car Opportunity???-jag-crash.jpg  
Old 06-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'm not seeing totaled... Post up some pics of the trunk opening and any deformity around the doors. These cars are built tough and strong and it looks like the worst damage is to the trunk and bumper which are both replaceable.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

That is a very easy fix. listen up.

Understand the racket:
Insurance company totaled it because its cheaper for them to do that and they dont ever have to insure it again. It should be against the law. BTW you can fight it- I have and won, without even going to court (on a different car) They totaled it because of six dime sized hail dents. They said our car which we had paid $600 a year insurance for 15 plus years was worth $5k and the repair exceeded that. In other words we had paid in $9k to ins and the sobs wanted to cut their losses. See the scam is that once a car has been totalled it cannot be insured. So not only do they limit how much of your own money you can get back by calling it a total loss, but prevent you from receiving any further benefits. Ingenious.

So you can put a trunk and bumper and just carry liability. Which is perfect for you because it will only be a $10k car and no need to pay $9k like us into the ins co which you wont see. Not to mention since this was not your fault, something like this an atty would have made sure the other party paid- which is whats happened anyway and you just got a pittance of that.

Fight it, or buy it back. And fix it. Lots of clever shops can fix that on the cheap. You dont even need a paint job.

mosesbotbol (06-19-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I'm not seeing totaled... Post up some pics of the trunk opening and any deformity around the doors. These cars are built tough and strong and it looks like the worst damage is to the trunk and bumper which are both replaceable.

Exactly

Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

You will need one of these too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Bumper...nd!37215!US!-1

If you add up the dealer prices of the 3 things I have just posted and paint, you will see where they come up with their figures.

mosesbotbol (06-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Totaled XKR - Donor Car Opportunity???