XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touch screen blank - Fixed(hopefully!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:58 AM
loz
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Solved!

Finally my sage of getting a replacement touchscreen for my 2012 XK is complete. Took 4 attempts:
1. This one my fault - just assumed I could get a screen for the model year - did not realize that there were multiple options for a single year, and some do not work (ie will not program)
2. Bought the part based on correct part # on eBay - when part arrived, it had different serial # to what was ordered. Seller did accept return of part
3. Ordered part from a Jaguar dealer in Florida. Turns out they did not actually have the part but had back-ordered from UK with "no estimated arrival date", so cancelled
4. Bought again on eBay - this one worked

Moral of the story - do not assume that part for a model year will be right - get part that is referenced as correct for your VIN range.

The following 4 users liked this post by loz:
Bill Mack (02-05-2021), kj07xk (02-05-2021), pk4144 (06-14-2021), ralphwg (02-05-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 08:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Hi all
I recently had the intermittent issue of my touch screen not coming on in my 2011 5L XK in Dubai. It was fairly infrequent to begin with, maybe 9 months ago, but was getting more common to the point when it was almost every other trip. I read this thread and tried switching the radio on before starting, but it went off on starting and did not come back. However as part of the major service my garage checked the battery (I requested) and although there was never any sign of poor performance (like starting) they said it was down on power retention and replaced it. No trouble with the screen since then.
Thanks

Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 AM
loz
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

PiersXK, indeed, Jags seem to be very sensitive about battery voltage, and it has been known to cause various problems, including yours apparently. In my case, I thought it might be that, but had the battery tested twice, both times not an issue. I think with mine, it was just a problem with the display unit itself. Anyway, all's well that ends well....

Old 04-17-2021, 12:42 PM
Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Thinking on Jaguar not supporting our "old" models. First, a ten-year old car is (my opinion) not "old", but guess that's where I come from...
What concerns me more is availability of replacement parts / modules. Again, Jaguar...So far, eBay has been a source of used modules, but what happens when the supply of modules dries up. Will there be an after-market need for repair services for any defective units? Is that even possible (proprietary chips &c...)? It's not like our cars are made in the millions, with plenty of replacement parts in boneyards.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,046 Likes on 741 Posts

but, electronics change like the wind and to keep tooling and or replacement parts for the aged just makes no sense or cents.
Perhaps one of the reasons these “modern” cars are not ever destined to be classics. They can’t last.

As I’ve commented before; the owners manual to the Riley gives very clear instructions on the maintenance and repair on mechanical/electrical components like rewinding the motor for the wipers, or even the passenger compartment fan. All solutions are mechanical. And as a result, they will last... which accounts for my thinking of which I have yet to pull the trigger: Lotus 7? Late model Morgan? (like an Aero?).... cars built to last the tests of time.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry for reviving the thread, but this happened to me on my x-country drive. (One odd possible clue: it happened on a late-afternoon startup in New Mexico after about six hours of brutally hot driving, and the (black) car was on a black asphalt lot. It had been parked for about 20 minutes, and was still incredibly hot. Would that matter?)
Anyway, I tried all the quick fixes mentioned here, to no avail. Have an appt at the dealer in a few days.
Question: would it make any sense to try a hard reset? Or pull a fuse, see if that helps?
Thanks.

(The worst part: no cooled seats through the southwest heat...!)

Last edited by pk4144; 06-14-2021 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,201 Likes on 2,355 Posts

A hard reset never hurts, but not sure it would help here. Always worth a try though. Blown fuse is certainly a possibility. F14 in the Auxiliary compartment. These screens can overheat and yes you were driving in extreme weather. There is no fan to keep them cool. You can loosen the screws and slip some thick paper at the top to create an air gap, then remove the paper and retighten the screws. Of course you have to pull back the center stack to do this. Ask your dealer to do that for you if it needs replacing. The gap is very small and nothing you should notice. I think there's a TSB on it actually. One thing I rarely hear mentioned is to take it to an electronic repair shop, if it's the dealer says it needs replacement. They can often be repaired as opposed to replacing them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (06-14-2021), ralphwg (06-15-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I have the newer TSD fitted but recently developed a no back light no touch issue. With a flashlight I could see the display on and change with hard button presses. AC worked and sound worked but no backlit and the touch had no response. I discovered pressing the power on/off multiple times would sometimes bring it back and then I quickly went to the settings before it would time out and changed the brightness on the screen, which for the last several weeks seems to have fixed it, at least for now.

Sean W (06-14-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 320 Posts

Minor update:

So I pulled the fuse. Car off, but door open, which matters I think.
Re-inserted fuse, got the "R" logo on the touchscreen. (So the screen works!)
Waited a few seconds, then pressed the start button without my foot on the brake. Lights and bells and the rest started up, but... after a few seconds, the screen went black again.
Tried various other ways to startup, but the same every time: I'd get the "R" screen which would go to black after about ten seconds.
Guess I'm going to the dealer.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:42 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi pk4144,

My 2010 XKR has exactly the same symptoms as yours. I tried everything suggested, including replacing the battery with an AGM type (which, apparently, maintain voltage better) all to no avail. Like you, I can see the screen if I shine an LED torch at it but I cannot access the vehicle settings (some touch functions work but NOT the vehicle settings). Previously I managed to quickly access the setting and turned the brightness to 'manual' and then put it below 50% - that worked for a while but I can't even do that now that I cannot access the whole menu. I'm hoping that someone will come up with a replacement unit, like a smaller version of the Tesla type screen as I'm reluctant to throw money into another one the same, as it's obviously an unreliable piece of kit. Good luck - let us know how you get on at the dealers.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,561 Likes on 1,417 Posts

CaptainQ,
For several weeks, my info screen would go on and then within a minute or two would cycle on and off repeatedly. And all functions controlled by the screen would cease (like the radio would stop working). Some days it would work fine and some days would continue to cycle on and off. For about the last two to three weeks, it has been functioning without interruption, so I'm not sure what is going on. The only thing that has not come back since this all started is that my phone is not connecting to the bluetooth module, and the screen that asks if you want to search for a new phone is frozen and the tab is non functional. I assume I'll be buying a new bluetooth module in the near future.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:48 PM

Hi Tberg,

I'm also baffled by this problem - you'd think that if the unit has failed then nothing would work and that the screen wouldn't be visible under an LED light. I had looked at the Tesla style screen (12" in length) which dispenses with the manual buttons for the A/C etc but I'm not that keen on its appearance. As I said in my last post, I'm hoping someone will come up with a suitable, seven inch screen before too long - it surely can't be that difficult for an electronics company to reduce the 12" circuitry etc into a standard sized unit ??

tberg (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 05:49 AM
guy
Veteran Member

@tberg , @CaptainQ , SDD doesn’t report issues with the bluetooth module?
I suspect that through a process not unlike a Power On Self Test (POST) there is a module either done or not responding in time.
I can replay as you are suggesting however I can also mitigate these issues by following a simple process:
1. Turn off all bluetooth accessories
2 Power up car completely prior to starting car
3 Start car
4 Turn on bluetooth accessories.

and, on car shutdown
1 turn off all accessories, climate control, lights, audio, screen, etc
2 shutdown car
3 optional, some claim to need to purposely lock car. I don’t. but fwiw, my car sits for 4 months without a trickle charger or maintainer and starts after that period everytime.

Since I’ve adapted this process I have only had the locked screen once; the very time needed a new battery.
And the only time the screen did not power up at all was the time the grounding point needed tightening.
The electronics are old. They need babying.
Cheers

Last edited by guy; 06-16-2021 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:13 AM

Good Morning Guy,

Thank you for your input. However, I don't have any Bluetooth devices fitted so don't believe the advice is applicable. This seems to be a worsening problem if the number of posters are anything to go by - compared to modern cars these touch screens seem very antiquated (and unreliable) in their technology. It's such a pity that the only current replacement is the large 12" Tesla style unit, which looks out of place (in my opinion). I live in hope that someone will release a modern 7" alternative.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:19 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Good Morning Guy,

Thank you for your input. However, I don't have any Bluetooth devices fitted so don't believe the advice is applicable. This seems to be a worsening problem if the number of posters are anything to go by - compared to modern cars these touch screens seem very antiquated (and unreliable) in their technology. It's such a pity that the only current replacement is the large 12" Tesla style unit, which looks out of place (in my opinion). I live in hope that someone will release a modern 7" alternative.
The 12" screen is not to my liking either. And neither is the theme of sticking additional gadgets throughout the car.
No codes?

Old 06-16-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I wouldn't mind a same-sized screen with better resolution, more memory (quicker) and a bit more options than OEM.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:38 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I wouldn't mind a same-sized screen with better resolution, more memory (quicker) and a bit more options than OEM.
I think the new Mercedes-AMG GT Coupe provides precisely that.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 3,143 Posts

COUPE??!!?? Gross.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. That solved it for me. 07 XK. Just have to form a new habit. Simple fix.

Old 09-26-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wanted to add a data point to this issue. My car was sitting for about 4 months. When I started driving it again, the info screen would go blank after a few minutes (it had never done that before). Start the car back up and it's working but goes out again after a few minutes. Suspecting it was the battery (a 1 year old AGM), I put a charger on it overnight. Next day, it pretty much was doing the same thing. I was doing only very short trips with the car. The following week I drove it about an hour including some highway miles at 75mph or so. Problem solved. I think, even with the charger, I did not get a full charge until some prolonged driving. I know there are other causes, but like many issues with these cars .... battery, battery, battery.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sebring12Hr:
Cee Jay (09-26-2023), kj07xk (09-26-2023), ralphwg (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Touch screen blank - Fixed(hopefully!)