XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Traction Control...NOT

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face Traction Control...NOT

Driving home tonight from visiting my Dad in the hospital I was waiting at a red light and see an ambulance fast approaching from the rear, so once the light changed I gave the car about 1/2 to 2/3's power and the rear end broke loose and the car started fishtailing! The traction control light was flickering away but I had to completely lift off the throttle to stop it, the giant rear 20's didnt have a chance. Conditions were dry and fairly new pavement. Man these cars are monsters, I could only image a proper launch followed by full throttle. I had an 06 E55 with less hp (469) but more torque 516, but the R gives up nothing to the AMG kompressor V8.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce H. (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I can't believe that you drove your car today, discovered it had lots of power, and felt the need to tell everyone about it in a new thread. Every time a search is done regarding "traction control" they will read this. Rivetting stuff

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I can't believe that you drove your car today, discovered it had lots of power, and felt the need to tell everyone about it in a new thread. Every time a search is done regarding "traction control" they will read this. Rivetting stuff

You know Bruce, I have a total of less than 200 miles on my car and am learning and experiencing new things about it everyday; maybe that new car excitement has already worn off in your case. This is my first Jag ever and coming from a long line of German and Italian cars never imagining I'd ever own an English car I am becoming more impressed with this car, quirks aside.
Knowing how easily this car breaks traction is a good thing to know and share for those that may have just purchased one as it caught me by complete surprise. It's also good to know the traction control allows a fair amount of wheel spin under moderate throttle.
Thought sharing our experiences would be a good thing and appreciated by my XKR brethren, and that's what these forums are supposed to be all about; in your case maybe not...

Old 03-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I send my best wishes for your father to recover soon and none the worse for it

You have just discovered how fast your can launch then lol What you drive is properly a fast car

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I've said it before, my normally aspirated XK runs like a raped ape. I can't even imagine how much trouble I could get into with an XKR....

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJC

...maybe that new car excitement has already worn off in your case
Haha...not even close. I just got mine the end of last Oct and put it away when the snow came about 6 weeks later.

Your being so surprised at what resulted when giving it some aggressive throttle makes the point that owners, whether novice or experienced, should take the opportunity to learn the handling nature of each vehicle they drive, and gain the car control skills needed to handle unexpected and emergency situations. Loss of grip can happen under cornering loads, braking, and even under light throttle on wet or slippery surfaces. Learning the limits of the car, and how to maintain or regain control of it is essential to being able to enjoy it safely.

Various car clubs, including BMW-CCA, run car control schools and put students through various driving exercises including skid pad, emergency stop and lane change, slalom course, mini auto-x, etc. I've taken one course with three sports car so far, and just missed being able to attend the last class of the season with the XKR, but look forward to doing it in the spring. I was however able to get it out on the road course to test it more safely than I could on public roads, and feel better prepared for having done it. Those of you in area that receive snow might even consider doing a winter car control school on ice and snow!

Which ever school you do, you'll learn an awful lot about your car...and likely how little you knew about controlling it!

Bruce

Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by RegentV12
I send my best wishes for your father to recover soon and none the worse for it

You have just discovered how fast your can launch then lol What you drive is properly a fast car
Thanks for the well wishes for my Father, unfortunately he is dying from lung cancer

Old 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Does the Xkr have a trac dsc mode, like the Xkr-s? If u push down the traction control button for a few sec, it enables trac dsc (higher threshold for dsc to kick in). If u hold it down for 10 sec, then dsc is turned off. I got there rearend sideways without dsc kicking in (in trac dsc mode)
I strongly agree with the comments about racing school. I have been to bondurant 4 day school (3 days in vette, 1 in formula Mazda) and it was amazing how much I learned about car control/dynamics. I'm surprised that so many of my friends with Porsches, ferrari's, and lambos have never had any formal instruction. The complimentary 1 day R driving academy is a real good start, but I've heard from driving instructors that u really need at least 2 consecutive days of school if u don't have any previous racing experience.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
I've said it before, my normally aspirated XK runs like a raped ape. I can't even imagine how much trouble I could get into with an XKR....
My last mega v8 was an 06 E55 AMG and that was about 6 years ago; since then I've been driving Porsche 997S which is no doubt quick but has not much torque especially compd to forced induction V8's. It was amazing how easily and for how long this car broke traction on a dry road. I can't imagine how fast this thing really is but in my condition I really cant push it that hard but sure would like to if i could

Last edited by RJC; 03-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Does the Xkr have a trac dsc mode, like the Xkr-s? If u push down the traction control button for a few sec, it enables trac dsc (higher threshold for dsc to kick in). If u hold it down for 10 sec, then dsc is turned off. I got there rearend sideways without dsc kicking in (in trac dsc mode)
I strongly agree with the comments about racing school. I have been to bondurant 4 day school (3 days in vette, 1 in formula Mazda) and it was amazing how much I learned about car control/dynamics. I'm surprised that so many of my friends with Porsches, ferrari's, and lambos have never had any formal instruction. The complimentary 1 day R driving academy is a real good start, but I've heard from driving instructors that u really need at least 2 consecutive days of school if u don't have any previous racing experience.
I believe it does have this feature as I recall them mentioning something about it at delivery but I did not pay it too much attention as my performance driving days are over due to my spine injury. I remember last year the first time I ordered an XKR the sales guy mentioned the driving school etc but this time around he did not and it doesn't matter that much to me as pushing my car to the limits is not what I bought it for as it would not be good for my fragile spine...sure would liked to have tried it though.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

I strongly agree with the comments about racing school.
I was discussing a "car control school", not a racing school. Car control benefits everybody, in everyday driving conditions, and is usually run in large parking lots as opposed to race tracks. Some racing schools may start with these fundamentals, but others start where these leave off. The R Academy teaches car control which makes it perfect for most owners.

Bruce

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Couldn't agree more, a good "car control school" (including training on slippery surfaces) gives much more enjoyment of your car, as that will teach you the boundaries, so you will be able to enjoy more within that, and keep out of trouble where needed ;-)

Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny... I have been more or less babying my new car ('11 XK). Today as I was driving to lunch I put it in sport / dynamic and nailed the gas after I had made the turn onto the main road near my house. I was very surprised that I didn't break loose at all... no traction control kicking in (or at least no dashboard lights), no nothing. I waited until I was pointed straight to hit it, and I was already rolling, probably 10 or 15 mph. Once the car got up a little bit into the rev band acceleration was as good as ever, but I have to say right off the bottom it felt a little soft.

I wasn't using the paddles... I'm assuming I must have been in 2nd or something.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Most (but not all) racing schools, such as bondurant, spend a good amount of time on car control, including lane changing, braking exercises, sight lines, as well as skid pad activities, which teach how to handle oversteer and understeer. One interest thing I learned was that all of these driver aids, such as abs and traction control, have not reduced mortality as much as they should have, because people don't know how to use them. For ex., most people don't know that u can turn your abs car while threshold breaking (cars without abs will only go straight when the breaks are locked). Knowing how to properly use abs would save a lot of lives.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks for the well wishes for my Father, unfortunately he is dying from lung cancer
I am so sorry to see this

If you like faster launchs , you can also try spring booster kits . I have not used one but it dramatically make the car react faster when you floor it

Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by RegentV12
I am so sorry to see this

If you like faster launchs , you can also try spring booster kits . I have not used one but it dramatically make the car react faster when you floor it
Thanks so much. It's been very tough health wise for our family, between my spine injury and my Father. I bought the Jag for a bit of a morale boost, it's one of the few things that can put a smile on my face these days.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks so much. It's been very tough health wise for our family, between my spine injury and my Father. I bought the Jag for a bit of a morale boost, it's one of the few things that can put a smile on my face these days.
Rjc- sorry to hear about your father as well-just shows how important it is to live each day to its fullest, because life is unpredictable.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
RJC

Rjc- sorry to hear about your father as well-just shows how important it is to live each day to its fullest, because life is unpredictable.
Thanks very much OC

Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

RJC,

Interestingly, I also went from an E55 (fairly heavily modded) to my XKR. I too am often stunned at the speed of the Jag, just an amazing combination of low end torque and the high RPM horsepower (relative to the E55, anyway). Not do get too far off topic, but I am puzzled at my inability to match my 0-60 times, despite the fact that the Jag FEELS way more powerful in all settings. The E55 is no joke, really one of the ultimate sleepers, though lacking the visceral thrill of the XKR. More of an appliance for speed rather than a thrilling, involving luxury speed demon.

And like you, I'm continually surprised at the power, handling, and especially the braking of the XKR with the supercharged 5.0. Crazy! Good to see that I'm not the only one inclined to post after a spectacular day behind the wheel...

The drop-top must be even more riveting on a sunny day. More exhaust noise, the wind in the hair... mmmm. Love my coupe, but there are times when convertibles are hart to beat.

Skeeter

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Skeeter
RJC,

Interestingly, I also went from an E55 (fairly heavily modded) to my XKR. I too am often stunned at the speed of the Jag, just an amazing combination of low end torque and the high RPM horsepower (relative to the E55, anyway). Not do get too far off topic, but I am puzzled at my inability to match my 0-60 times, despite the fact that the Jag FEELS way more powerful in all settings. The E55 is no joke, really one of the ultimate sleepers, though lacking the visceral thrill of the XKR. More of an appliance for speed rather than a thrilling, involving luxury speed demon.

And like you, I'm continually surprised at the power, handling, and especially the braking of the XKR with the supercharged 5.0. Crazy! Good to see that I'm not the only one inclined to post after a spectacular day behind the wheel...

The drop-top must be even more riveting on a sunny day. More exhaust noise, the wind in the hair... mmmm. Love my coupe, but there are times when convertibles are hart to beat.

Skeeter
Thanks Skeeter, agree on all points.

Regarding the E55, it was a brute for sure but not sex on wheels like the XK. It's kinda weird I don't remember the E55 breaking traction quite so easily and it had smaller tires than the XKR.

It's nice to have a top to drop but the coupe is simply stunning and even nicer to behold. A full glass pano roof would be a nice addition/option ala 6 series.

Last edited by RJC; 03-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control...NOT