XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Turo rental vacation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Turo rental vacation

Probably more F-type forum, but just wanted to say in a few days me and the gf will be flying out to LA where I have a 2016 F-Type R convertible rented via Turo for a week

Driving straight up to SF that night, getting a hotel, and them driving the PCH back down to LA over the course of the next 5 days after that.

Posting this here, as I plan to give my feedback compared to my 2010 XKR when I get back from my trip.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

My suggestion is dont compare it to the XKR- its like comparing one girlfriend with another, just enjoy the one you are with.

You may know this; the drive north of SF is way better than PCH headed south.
Its much more beautiful, less crowded and better roads. Big Sur is always closed from one landslide or the other. One suggestion would be to drive to further north and subtract that on the way down by getting on the 5. PCH through Oxnard and such is nothing that great, especially if you have seen Bodega Bay and beyond.

On the southern part of PCH factor being held back by a camper.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Know that the PCH is closed around the Big Sur due to a bridge being out on one side and a massive mudslide on the other side. The only access is via Helicopter right now. If you are driving north to SF from LAX you have at least three other choices; the I5, CA 99 or US 101. If it were me, I think I would take the 101 for the Southern part of the drive and then switch at about the Monterrey Peninsula to the 5 to miss the traffic between San Jose and SF. Also use Google maps for up to the minute navigation.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys...we were planning on taking 5 up there Saturday evening, then as much of the coast back down to LA throughout the week....we are aware of the detour of big sur, but not exactly sure how much it will be and what route to take around it for the shortest possible detour so we can stay right on the coast as much as possible. Hoping the weather is top-down weather the entire time

Old 08-31-2017, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

We take the 5 from L.A. up to the bay area every Thanksgiving Day to visit my sister/brother-in-laws. Typically, it is just under 5 hours of driving from our home in the San Fernando Valley. At the exact half way mark in the city of Coalinga, adjacent to the freeway is a great place to stop for lunch (or breakfast or dinner) called Harris Ranch (the same Harris Ranch that sells beef products and grows all of its own vegetables). Beatuiful ranch style restaurant with a lovely store as well. It is well worth stopping for an hour. When you're back in L.A., you ought to get in touch with me and Ralph, meet for dinner or a beer. Let us know. Have a good time. As far as the F-type, it's a different animal from the XKR, thoroughly fun, incredibly loud, and more "urgent," but a bit crowded. Since you're driving the convertible, just know that you and your girlfriend will have to pack very lightly as the trunk on the 'vert is simply tiny! Have fun!

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Ted's advice is right on regarding the available space in the F-Type. I have a short 3 day trip scheduled the last week of September. But other than that, it would be fun to meet for a beer or dinner.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Know that the PCH is closed around the Big Sur due to a bridge being out on one side and a massive mudslide on the other side. The only access is via Helicopter right now. If you are driving north to SF from LAX you have at least three other choices; the I5, CA 99 or US 101. If it were me, I think I would take the 101 for the Southern part of the drive and then switch at about the Monterrey Peninsula to the 5 to miss the traffic between San Jose and SF. Also use Google maps for up to the minute navigation.
+1
I'd just be absolutely sure about your route before you begin. A friend of mine did this two weeks ago and was basically in a U-turn, backtrack about 40 miles situation. Apparently (some dude at a gas station told her this), local business complained that too much signage would scare people off of driving the PCH up there at all, to they didn't post ROAD CLOSED AHEAD signs until a few miles away. And this was near the slide, where there aren't a lot of options, road-wise.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The drive North from Monterrey to Oregon is pure heaven.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys...we actually stayed at Harris ranch overnight and had breakfast there....it was amazing....

So far the F-Type has been amazing....but I can't ever see owning one vs my XKR....it's just, different. Staying off my phone as much as possible during this vacation, but I've got a pretty good review to type up when we get back home this weekend.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

You can rent F-Types? Damn, would have been much better that the Lincoln MKT that I got saddled with 2 weeks ago in Chicago.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
You can rent F-Types? Damn, would have been much better that the Lincoln MKT that I got saddled with 2 weeks ago in Chicago.
You rent other people's cars through Turo so you may or may not find an F-Type everywhere:
https://turo.com/

Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you enjoyed Harris Ranch, it's just such a nice break in what is a rather monotonous drive from L.A. to San Francisco. We always stop in both directions, coming and going. Hope you're having a good time!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM

We are having a great time! Had to backtrack a bit back north from Big Sur, but took road G16 to get back to 101 and that turned out to be an exhilarating drive! No traffic, miles of twisties...I loved it....the fiance did not care for it though, but hey, we are still engaged

Stayed overnight in San Simeon, headed down to ventura today for an overnight stop, then back to LA after that.

I'm up for a quick meet up if any of us happen to be in the same area any of the next 3 days.

And, fwiw, I haven't seen any other F-types on the road on our whole trip yet...saw a blue XKR north of big sur on hwy 1 at the road construction stop....and shortly after that an older xkr - a brg convertible with his top down

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

I can meet for coffee late the morning of 9/9 (after 10:30) in the Brentwood/Santa Monica/Pacific Palisades area; if you will put up with me in tennis clothes; after playing tennis.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'm flying to Denver tomorrow morning for my niece's wedding (2nd marriage in 2 years, first one lasted 2 weeks!) in Boulder this weekend and won't get back until Tuesday evening. So, sorry I can't meet you guys. You'll have no trouble running into and seeing F-types in Los Angeles, I see at least a dozen everyday. Have a nice trip home.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:23 PM

We fly out at 1 tomorrow....and I'm glad to be done with the f-type....driving it around the last 9 hours in LA has me sore and stressed out

Old 09-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

That is exactly why I decided to stick with the XKRs. The F Type is a fun sports car but is not made for daily driving in LA traffic.