XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Update on Mina XKR Dual Cone Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on Mina XKR Dual Cone Intake Kit

So i was in the market for a new intake lately and was trying to decide between a K&N setup (panel inserts) which is the no brainer option and Mina dual cone filter setup:

Jaguar XKR 4.2L Performance Cold Air Intake Kit 07-09

So to clear up some doubts decided to send an email to mina think this might benefit other people on the forum looking for more info on intakes.

My email to mina:

"Hi,

I am interested in the above part for my 4.2 2007xkr and just have a
few questions that i hope you will find the time to answer.

Usually replacing standard air box with a cone filter creates one
problem, intake starts to suck in hot air from engine bay, making it a
hot air intake which is bad for a supercharged engine. Does the
location/design of this kit tackle this problem in any way?

Has the kit been tested for issues with the MAF sensors or ecu/cel errors?

Can i expect any improvement in hp, mpg or exhaust note with this kit?....."

Mina's response email:

"Hi Patrick,

The intake on your model is located in the bumper and so engine heat is not an issue. The performance value is actually pretty good given its a dual setup (which usually perform well on their own). You should expect a hp gain and in theory a mpg gain. We do test for performance, but not for fuel economy. The intake will not affect sound in any significant way.

We are currently revising this intake. We (our own shop) have installed many of these on over 20 cars with some great results. Unfortunately, we have also had some customers tell us that CEL have been triggered. Given this has never happened to us the assumption is that something in the install process (when done incorrectly) is creating a discrepancy between the right and left maf sensors (which need to be synchronized). Were revisiting the intake to see if there is anything we can do to minimize an incorrect install....."

Hope this will benefit some of you guys out there.
Would like to also hear your opinion on such upgrade i myself to be honest was more into exhaust/sound note improvement connected with such an upgrade more than hp/mpg gains.

PS. Does anyone have a part nr for the K&N inserts? Just want to confirm i have the right one.

Thanks

Last edited by Pacio; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

A former co-worker installed their intake on an S-Type R and I was not wow'd by the quality, but maybe it is different on the XK?

I am scared of low hanging intakes after my uncle seized his 3 series with a similar setup.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had Mina's air intake for my XKR for a year now(approximately 2.5k miles on the air intake) and have no problems with check engine light. Eventhough I didn't see the kit in person as I had it shipped directly to the shop who installed it for me, the shop did advise the kit was actually a decent quality but again it's just tubing with a conincal filter just like any other kits.

My concern also at that time was possibly hydrolock if you go through flooded standing water but again I never drive this car if it's raining (garage queen),only if I get caught coming home and so it's not a big issue for me.

Do I feel any more power from the SOTP? I did feel more punch after I got the car back but again I also did hiflo cats and ECU tune done at the same time as the air intake and so I'm not sure which gave me the more power. Even if it only gave me 5HP, it's 5HP more than I had before. Probably more effective at higher speeds as I'm thinking there would be more of a ram air effect when more air pushing through.

You can see the filter through the mesh underneath the fog light:
Name:  c3-1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  178.0 KB
Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  143.0 KB

The following users liked this post:
djgold (01-22-2013)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks GhostRider for a very detailed answer, did you experience any sound improvement as in deeper growl etc. after installing Mina intake?

Also i have read a thread describing how to remove intake silencers from a previous shape XKR by removing air pockets from the plastic tubing of oem intake, by cutting off and sealing the 2 cylindrical outlets (air pockets). Does anyone know if this also applies to dual intake of the 2007?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I did hear a huge difference in growl after I got the car back but it's due to the hiflo cats. If there was any deeper growl from the intake it was drowned out by the loudness of the cats with Milltek exhaust so I really can't tell.