XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valuation Turn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Valuation Turn?

I have reached that inevitable point in my ownership lifecycle (for me anyway) that I have started to have "a wandering eye". Meaning - that while I have not fallen out of love for my XKR - I like the idea of having something different in the garage (just to change it up). So.... I have started to look at resale values of like cars (mine is an '11 XKR vert with all the papers, very low mileage, perfect condition, and popular color). It may be my slightly "biased view" but I detect that values are "somewhat firming" on really good XKs.

Makes sense to me....

- Timeless GT styling
- RWD with more than enough grunt (XKR's in particular)
- Usable trunk space
- Most people figure it for a far more expensive car (and yet it is nowhere near the likes of an Aston, Bentley Continental or Maserti GT)

And look what's going on in the Used Porsche market today?

So while "the wandering eye" remains.... I am intrigued by the prospect of "Are we about to see the corner turn on valuations?"

Thoughts?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I am not sure about valuations firming, even though these XKR's are limited in production.

I listed my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible last month, pristine condition with only 18,000 miles. I listed it at KBB prices and the car originally sold at $108,000 MSRP.

I had 2 parties inquire after listing on eBay and the Jaguar Forum. I could have sold the car at a giveaway price but was not interested in doing so. I decided to just keep it.

So while some might think prices are firming, today's shopper appears to be willing only to buy at wholesale prices.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Jaguar's have always been a bargain and will continue to be in the future. We always think our cars are the best and should command the highest prices. Unfortunately the market doesn't bare that and prices continue to drop even on low mileage cars. So there are only a few choices and they are , suck it up and sell at what the market will bare , keep it longer or trade it in at a loss. Just the Jaguar reputation that causes the problem. We buy them at a bargain and sell them at a loss. My plan is to hold it for 10 years or until I can't get out of it by myself.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I am not sure about valuations firming, even though these XKR's are limited in production.

I listed my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible last month, pristine condition with only 18,000 miles. I listed it at KBB prices and the car originally sold at $108,000 MSRP.

I had 2 parties inquire after listing on eBay and the Jaguar Forum. I could have sold the car at a giveaway price but was not interested in doing so. I decided to just keep it.

So while some might think prices are firming, today's shopper appears to be willing only to buy at wholesale prices.
Well on the upside Richard, I'm glad you're keeping it. I enjoy reading your posts.

I had a pristine Super V8 for a couple of years and watched the value degrade in NADA and KBB. Once it hit 10 years old, the bottom fell out.

I sold it to a gent who was searching for one nationally. As with you, I knew the car, it's history was documented and I took excellent care of it. Once he flew out and drove it, he agreed it was worth well above book. I got lucky.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I was at the dealership in san diego looking at a car and the salesman mentioned that they are seeing xkr pricing actually going up on great cars. I did not make a point of developing the discussion but it what he was seeing. they are not making more. plenty of weathered examples. great examples are a sight to behold by any modern sports gt measure.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Interesting topic.
I have seen many sub 10K mile cars listed at less than 65% of the original MSRP that are not selling.
There are even a few sub 300 mile XKR-S's listed at less than 65% of original sticker which are still for sale.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ferraripete
I was at the dealership in san diego looking at a car and the salesman mentioned that they are seeing xkr pricing actually going up on great cars. I did not make a point of developing the discussion but it what he was seeing. they are not making more. plenty of weathered examples. great examples are a sight to behold by any modern sports gt measure.
I guess it's all relative. I just looked up my 2012 XKR conv. on KBB and it has it from $47K- $50K with avg trade in value of $47K. I bought it in early 2014 with 6 K (16K now)miles on it for $75K. I got the window sticker and it listed for $111K. I expected it so no big deal but if you are in it thinking it will appreciate I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess it's all relative. I just looked up my 2012 XKR conv. on KBB and it has it from $47K- $50K with avg trade in value of $47K. I bought it in early 2014 with 6 K (16K now)miles on it for $75K. I got the window sticker and it listed for $111K. I expected it so no big deal but if you are in it thinking it will appreciate I wouldn't hold your breath.

just to level set, I was only passing on the words from the dealer. I would not hang my investment hopes on any jag post series one e type...but that's just me.

that said, cars are not good investments for most but I have gotten lucky picking cars that have doubled or tripled in value during my ownership. I don't know if my jag will follow the trend but she sure is pretty nonetheless!!!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default EVO - volume 228 - Market Focus - Jaguar XKR

I hesitate to revisit this as earlier suspicion was - shall I say "rejected".

However, as an EVO subscriber I note that in the December edition they have an article (Model Focus: Jaguar XKR) which highlights the following:

(If not familiar with EVO it is a highly respected British enthusiast magazine)

Nigel Thorley (EVO author and quoted expert) believes XKRs are now being bought as investments....

"At the moment Jaguar has no plans to produce another XK, and the F-Type is not satisfying the traditional XK buyer, so XKs are being hung on to and are particularly sought after by buyers. That can only mean positive things for values...."

The following 2 users liked this post by Ceckman:
mosesbotbol (10-28-2016), ralphwg (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceckman
Nigel Thorley (EVO author and quoted expert) believes XKRs are now being bought as investments....
I am glad you revisited the thread because after 5 years my own 'wandering eye' is looking for an XK to replace my long-wheelbase sedan. Here are the pricing data on the XK that I have gathered over time from carguru and cars.com, as well as my future projection --

2008 XKR Coupe
$93k MSRP New
$55k in 2011 (25k mi)
$25k in 2016 (50k mi)
??? in 2019

For comparison:
2011 XKR Coupe
$96k MSRP New
$34k in 2016 (50k mi)
$28k (70k mi)

The takeaway seems to be (1) whopping depreciation during first 3 years, (2) fully depreciated in about 10 years, (3) mileage makes a big difference in price. You can buy a low-mileage 08 for roughly the same money as a higher-mileage 11.

Cheers,

Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I was close on a primo '13 XKR with 35K miles for 53K USD. I thought the price was fair, but it had 20" wheels and was looking for only 19" XKR's... Next thing I know, I am in a new XE (with 19's...).

Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I was close on a primo '13 XKR with 35K miles for 53K USD. I thought the price was fair, but it had 20" wheels and was looking for only 19" XKR's... Next thing I know, I am in a new XE (with 19's...).
Apples vs oranges . Seems if 19" was the make or break then you didn't want the XK. Enjoy the XE family sedan as the only one you need to please is yourself.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Apples vs oranges . Seems if 19" was the make or break then you didn't want the XK. Enjoy the XE family sedan as the only one you need to please is yourself.
I couldn't find an 2011+ XKR with 19" at any dealership where I could get a decent trade on the Lotus. I will not drive a car with 20" wheels if I have choice. Yes, 19" was a make or break on any car I was looking at. The GranTurismo S I considering had 19", but had other drawbacks that took it off the list.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I couldn't find an 2011+ XKR with 19" at any dealership where I could get a decent trade on the Lotus. I will not drive a car with 20" wheels if I have choice. Yes, 19" was a make or break on any car I was looking at. The GranTurismo S I considering had 19", but had other drawbacks that took it off the list.
The offsets wouldn't have worked, but if they had, I would have traded my 19's for your 20's (if we agreed we liked each other's style). I like the look of the 20's just a bit better than the 19's, so I picked up a set of 20" Senta's on eBay, and am having them refinished now (they were in good shape, just wanted them to look 'new' for me). I'm sure you could have found a set of 19's to your liking, if you were really in love with that XKR.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I'm sure you could have found a set of 19's to your liking, if you were really in love with that XKR.
I considered that, but wasn't in for the nickel dime trading to make the car they way I wanted. The pull of a new car with 5/60K all service included warranty was just too tempting... I would've had to buy that XKR sight unseen (which I did on my XK) and they were going to take my Lotus sight unseen. I was a little concerned about shipping my car to them and then they ship me my car. Too many things to go wrong and two way shipping was not cheap...

Since the XE is a lease, I will have better options on the next car. I hate having to deal with a trade in...

My girlfriend's car lease expires in just over a year, maybe an XK will fit in then? She really liked that car the most out of what we've owned.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

IMO, we should not expect our cars to sell as quickly as say a Honda or BMW brand would. And while they are not produced in high numbers, there still is an aura/perception of problems/expensiveness with the Jaguar brand, which in turn limits potential buyers. I would imagine that most, not all, but most have bought their XK/XKR used. As such, an expectation of a bargain was expected at time of purchase, well, the potential purchaser of my/your XK/XKR is expecting the same. Whenever I tire of a car I trade it in, take my lumps and enjoy my new ride.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
Whenever I tire of a car I trade it in, take my lumps and enjoy my new ride.
+1, I could care less what the car is worth when I am done with it, if it ended up being zero it wouldn't affect me so anything above that is cake when trading.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
+1, I could care less what the car is worth when I am done with it, if it ended up being zero it wouldn't affect me so anything above that is cake when trading.
+2, I've actually never tired of a car, all except one tired on me (that one I sold to a friend's father, because he liked the car, and my wife wanted me to get a smaller car that she could drive when necessary). All the rest had no value and were junked when it was time to dispose of them. The same may be true for my XK (in the future), as I buy a car for me, not for the next owner.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

VERY interesting thread to me. I am relatively new to Jaguars, this being my first (actually, second, but that's another story) XKR after having been a MBZ guy for years.

If you hit the right year, an SL is a marvel of engineering, and is beautifully made. But the thing is, I just love the 2010-2015 XK'S. It just gets me going in a way the SL's never did. It feels like a car designed precisely for me. Other than the nav system, I wouldn't change a thing. Not a single thing. So I've been a little, shall we say, obsessive in tracking/stalking these cars.

Though I agree with everything kj07xk says, above --I also buy, and drive, a car for me- I do wonder what's going on, valuation-wise. What I've noticed is that, much more than MBZ, low mileage is king in the XK market. I "stalked" a 2013 XKR vert at a carmax in So Cal-- 17K miles, original warranty-- it sat there forever at $52,900. I thought it was a good price for the car, BUT-- there's a 2011 XKR for $27,900 in Mission Viejo. I'm guessing the first person who offers $25K will get it. Mileage? 72,000. That's the killer in these awesome cars. We can wave the window sticker all we want (mine is $108K), but, sadly, the market is the market, and miles are miles. Any upswing (which I doubt) would be linked to never driving the car, and keeping the miles exceptionally low. Not for me.

Here's the car I'm currently stalking. I LOVE my current XKR, but... this is pretty much my exact car, five years newer. I kind of have a crush on this car. But I think the price is high.

Thoughts?

Certified 2015 Jaguar XK for sale in Los Angeles, CA | Jaguar USA

Oh and PS: I'm with mosesbotbol. Give me 19" wheels (I've got 20's) any day of the week.

Last edited by pk4144; 10-28-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
VERY interesting thread to me. I am relatively new to Jaguars, this being my first (actually, second, but that's another story) XKR after having been a MBZ guy for years.

If you hit the right year, an SL is a marvel of engineering, and is beautifully made. But the thing is, I just love the 2010-2015 XK'S. It just gets me going in a way the SL's never did. It feels like a car designed precisely for me. Other than the nav system, I wouldn't change a thing. Not a single thing. So I've been a little, shall we say, obsessive in tracking/stalking these cars.

Though I agree with everything kj07xk says, above --I also buy, and drive, a car for me- I do wonder what's going on, valuation-wise. What I've noticed is that, much more than MBZ, low mileage is king in the XK market. I "stalked" a 2013 XKR vert at a carmax in So Cal-- 17K miles, original warranty-- it sat there forever at $52,900. I thought it was a good price for the car, BUT-- there's a 2011 XKR for $27,900 in Mission Viejo. I'm guessing the first person who offers $25K will get it. Mileage? 72,000. That's the killer in these awesome cars. We can wave the window sticker all we want (mine is $108K), but, sadly, the market is the market, and miles are miles. Any upswing (which I doubt) would be linked to never driving the car, and keeping the miles exceptionally low. Not for me.

Here's the car I'm currently stalking. I LOVE my current XKR, but... this is pretty much my exact car, five years newer. I kind of have a crush on this car. But I think the price is high.

Thoughts?

Certified 2015 Jaguar XK for sale in Los Angeles, CA | Jaguar USA

Oh and PS: I'm with mosesbotbol. Give me 19" wheels (I've got 20's) any day of the week.
Looks like you have a decision to make. Either you want it or you don't. Make an offer and start the ball rolling and see if they give you a counter. Buying one of these things seems to be a commitment regardless of the price. The longer you play may prevent you from getting what you want. As for the 20's just sell them and buy a set of 19's. My bet someone on the form would take them off of your hands. You only go around once and you don't know when your clock will run out.

Quick Reply: Valuation Turn?