XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:27 AM
Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Left hand rear toe adjustment rod snapped clean off luckily I still had the original tucked away although the original had a perished bush I managed to swap them over
This was the exact same on mine, the most recent job I've had to do on the car. I had a notification in the MOT that the rear rod covers were worn so bought a new rod assembly. It was thinner than the original and as the only issue was the boots I just swapped them over from the new rod to the original. I must admit it was a far easier than I thought it would be and certainly easier than trying to get to the nut on the inner end of the rod.

When the boots go on the otherside I'll just order new boots and swap them over.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Yes gaining access to the nut that bolts up into the cradle is not fun and very time consuming !!

Your also correct in saying they are thinner its shown in my pic especially where the rod tappers down into the bush (silly design)

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 01-12-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL - I bought the new rod thinking is would be simple. How difficult could two bolts be to swap over the rod? I undid the hub end then went looking for the other end. Oh dear. Looked at it for about 5 minutes and then thought I would just swap over the outer end of the rod only to find the new rod was thinner than the original. A bit of head scratching and decided to try just swapping the new boots onto the original rod. Thankfully worked a treat!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Stuart,

Were the at Ali Baba ordered car door lights easy to install, did they also project the logo and fitted they properly?

TiA
Ben

Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR

ebay link : https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132290538466

I offered $20.00 with free shipping which the seller agreed. Arrived in three days!
That’s an improvement over the ones I bought a few years ago, in that mine had a circle around the logo, and the projected image had part of the circle cut off by the bottom of the door.
Also, mine had a clear body, so you could see the wiring inside, making them look cheap (as they were). Needless to say, they didn’t stay installed long.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Someb
Hi Stuart,

Were the at Ali Baba ordered car door lights easy to install, did they also project the logo and fitted they properly?

TiA
Ben
Ben,

I order a set from Alibaba yesterday, and I'll let you know how they fit and work when I receive them.

Like kj07xk explained above, I currently have the earlier design puddle lamps with the round Growler logo installed in my XJ and my XKR. I had to modify them to get them to fit, as detailed in my thread on the XJ Forum. They work fine on the XJ, but the top of the image is obstructed by the XKR 's door so the top of the Growler is cut off from the projection on the floor. Nevertheless, for what they cost, I was satisfied ... until I saw these new Leaper logo puddle lamps.

I'm hoping that these new Leaper logo puddle lamps will fit better in my XKR and project a brighter, complete image.

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lamps-166622/

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-12-2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

This was the simplest mod ever done ! And only 20 bucks....
Would like it too but my lights in the door don't work on either side, haven't bothered to look deep into it but now I do!:-)
Last summer when I had my Icarsoft connected and went thru the modules it said there was something wrong with the door module if I remember correctly.
Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a separate fuse?
I have checked the bulb and checked with a voltmeter and had no power at the bulb!?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks great, ordered a set for mine!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Left hand rear toe adjustment rod snapped clean off luckily I still had the original tucked away although the original had a perished bush I managed to swap them over
What were the circumstances that caused this to break, and when did you realize this had broken?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Patrick the rear end felt completely unstable and very twichty at high speeds initially I thought it was the left hand axle

Unsure exactly what caused it to snap just very very lucky it didn't happen whilst driving on the freeway and it failed close to the house more importantly I can't believe the old one hadn't being thrown away ! good luck all around !!

The following users liked this post:
Patrick Wong (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx Stuart,

I'm curious.

Grtz
Ben

Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I read Jagtoes' Weather break drive thread, saw the temp here was 12 degrees F, went to the garage and saw my covered car, muttered a few choice words and went back in the house.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I tried a set of these last year but they stopped working within just a few weeks. Please give us a longevity report down the road.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Over the last couple of months, the alcantara headliner over my head in the driver's seat has steadily been drooping rubbing against what little hair I have left and annoying me to no end. I really didn't want to tear the whole liner down so I figured I could inject some adhesive into a few spots with a syringe, hold the fabric up to the roof for a minute or two and be done. I asked my best friend who's a dentist, to bring me a medical syringe but the adhesive glue was just too thick to be sucked into the syringe or pushed out of it. This morning, I went into a small hardware store in my area and they had plastic curved ended syringes. The tips were pretty broad and I knew it would not puncture the fabric but I bought one anyway to try. When I got to my car, I took a small finish nail to poke the hole, inserted the curved plastic needle end of the syringe with glue and did a 360* area around the hole. I pressed the suede liner to the roof for about a minute and voila, it worked. It left a little white residue which with a black Sharpie felt pen I touched up and then rubbed it in with my fingers, and it's barely noticeable, probably to no one else but myself. I repeated this process about 5 times in different areas, and now, no annoying rubbing any longer. The whole process took about 10 minutes. I wasn't smart enough to think about using a toothpick to make the hole, which I think would have penetrated more easily with its rounded point than a finish nail which has a chiseled, squared off point. But no matter, it's off the to do list.

Last edited by tberg; 01-16-2019 at 09:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
ralphwg (01-17-2019), Sean W (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

As they say " Necessity is the mother of invention", good job!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same for the door panels

Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

My headliner finally let go. I guess after 8 years its to be expected of a small company that experiments with more environmentally friendly solutions as opposed to tried and tested.

Short on time, especially with the holidays, I took thin strips of aluminum the width of the headliner and wedged them in a way that creates a tidy looking rib cage that pushes the headliner into place.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
My headliner finally let go. I guess after 8 years its to be expected of a small company that experiments with more environmentally friendly solutions as opposed to tried and tested.

Short on time, especially with the holidays, I took thin strips of aluminum the width of the headliner and wedged them in a way that creates a tidy looking rib cage that pushes the headliner into place.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Will take some pics. Here are little better instruction meanwhile.

(Note mine is a coupe, I dont think it will work on convertible. But the principal may. )
It will work with wood.
Take a thin rod and cut it as wide as one window to the other.
You are try to make a bow that pushes the headliner up. Same principle as a frame on an umbrella or tent.
You may have to cut it several times to find the perfect length.
Now make couple more pieces using the first one.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Will take some pics. Here are little better instruction meanwhile.

(Note mine is a coupe, I dont think it will work on convertible. But the principal may. )
It will work with wood.
Take a thin rod and cut it as wide as one window to the other.
You are try to make a bow that pushes the headliner up. Same principle as a frame on an umbrella or tent.
You may have to cut it several times to find the perfect length.
Now make couple more pieces using the first one.
I understood what you were doing, just curious as to how it turned out.
And yes, it wouldn't be needed in a convertible, as the headliner is fastened (stitched) to the cross-members, not glued to a hard-top.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?