Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheels - is chrome too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Wheels - is chrome too much?

I am entertaining the thought of swapping my 19 inch non-chrome, factory (painted) "Jupiter" wheels for chromed Jupiter wheels or possibly even a set of Senta chrome wheels. I think they're called Senta...I've attached pics...

But what are the opinions of these wheels? Would I look to gaudy or would I look like a thug?

I have a Slate Grey metallic car...

Attached Thumbnails Wheels - is chrome too much?-20inchsentachrome.jpg   Wheels - is chrome too much?-xkr_chrome_jupiter_wheels.jpg   Wheels - is chrome too much?-jag_xkr.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome to the Thug Life! Haha...Just Kidding! I say go for it....I remember chrome wheels was popular with the Corvette guys.....but Mercedes guys....not so much.

Do what you like....don't worry about what others think...it's your car!

I know I know.....I should have followed my own advice on the "Badge" thread.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW....here are some chrome senta's on a X150:

Black Chrome:

I think it looks good!

Maybe...someone can post some chrome Jupiter wheels to compare.......

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 05-03-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the look, am thinking of the same change myself. Tell me more about where you are purchasing them from.

Tom

Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always dangerous to ask about matters of taste. Do what makes you happy. One of my cars is a very polarizing color. I know some people think it looks hideous. Others love it.

The chromes won't make you look thuggish or gaudy...they will make you look thuggish AND gaudy. But if that's what you're going after...more power to you.

Would you rather be called "classy" or "stylish"? There's a difference. Just sayin'.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Of the two, I'd take the Jupiters. I'm not big on chrome, but I don't think either of your choices will look bad.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TomServo
I love the look, am thinking of the same change myself. Tell me more about where you are purchasing them from.

Tom
There is a seller on ebay that will do a "swap" of your factory wheels for the exact same wheels that have been chromed.

For example, swapping my painted Jupiter wheels for the chromed Jupiters would be about $850, and they require a $1400 deposit which is refunded when they receive your wheels back after you have installed the chrome ones.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Chrome is just outstanding . These wheels are ok to me because these are not some of those "heeeyyyyy loook at meeeee " wheels that you can see in pimped rides

Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cadillac
Chrome is just outstanding . These wheels are ok to me because these are not some of those "heeeyyyyy loook at meeeee " wheels that you can see in pimped rides
I agree - the Jupiter and Senta wheels don't scream at you like chrome spinners...

Now those definitely send a clear signal...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree with the others: go with what YOU like.

IMHO, however, the XK8/XKR already has very jazzy styling. I think chrome wheels would put it just over the edge. It doesn't need anything shiny. To the contrary, it needs a small helping of purposefulness. A lightly polished alloy wheel would be just right.

But do what you like. Don't mind me. I'm very conservative on styling matters and follow the theory of "if in doubt, don't do it".

Cheers
DD

Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree with the others: go with what YOU like.

IMHO, however, the XK8/XKR already has very jazzy styling. I think chrome wheels would put it just over the edge. It doesn't need anything shiny. To the contrary, it needs a small helping of purposefulness. A lightly polished alloy wheel would be just right.

But do what you like. Don't mind me. I'm very conservative on styling matters and follow the theory of "if in doubt, don't do it".

Cheers
DD
You have a great point. It's just that my Jupiter wheels appear a little dull. Perhaps they just need a lighter, brighter coat of paint - perhaps a little brighter metallic silver?

That may give me a little brighter look without going overboard.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me start by stating that the following is my opinion and it is not my intent to offend anyone else. That being said, I would stay away from the chrome! It does not enhance the look of the car. Even Jay-Z is renouncing chrome wheels! As he states in "30 Something"

"I'm, young enough to know the right car to buy yet grown enough not to put rims on it"

Chromed-out rims are kinda played out. I think they look fine on a lot of older cars but not so much on newer ones. This is probably because cars today typically don't have chrome any where else except for the window trim and grille. Chrome wheels draw all of the attention to the wheels! There will be nothing to visually balance out the look of the car. i would go with a wheel that has a purposeful look but is still understated. If you want to add some bling, go with a polished lip.

Mercedes has a wheel finish that they used to put on the CL600 that has a higher luster than typical alloy wheels but is not as bright as chrome. I will post a pic if I can find one.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If passers-by are overheard saying "Oh-my-God, wow, look at those wheels", you *know* you have the wrong wheels :-).

Wheels should compliment the styling car, not overwhelm it.

I would want to overhear "Wow, that's a beautiful car. The color, the style, the chrome, the wheels...everything looks just right".

Cheers
DD

Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with black chrome, I believe it looks soooo great on your car. But still what matters is what you like!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the black chrome as well! Best of both worlds ,lol.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

How about these?

Attached Thumbnails Wheels - is chrome too much?-calistoblkchrome.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
There is a seller on ebay that will do a "swap" of your factory wheels for the exact same wheels that have been chromed.

For example, swapping my painted Jupiter wheels for the chromed Jupiters would be about $850, and they require a $1400 deposit which is refunded when they receive your wheels back after you have installed the chrome ones.
I called CalChrome and they quoted me $850 to do the wheel exchange.

Seems about right, as I worked the same deal on my 07 Z06.

But I have some bugs in my 08 I want fixed before I spend anymore $$$ or time on this car.

Tom

Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TomServo
I called CalChrome and they quoted me $850 to do the wheel exchange.

Seems about right, as I worked the same deal on my 07 Z06.

But I have some bugs in my 08 I want fixed before I spend anymore $$$ or time on this car.

Tom
The only reservations I have about an exchange is that they claim my wheels have some kind of damage when they get them (even though they don't) and keep half (or more) of my deposit.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like others above me have stated, chrome is a very personal thing.

It is interesting how much chrome changes a wheel. As an example, I'm not a fan of the chrome Sentas although I love the non-chrome Sentas. I think the Jupiters look better in chrome than the Sentas as they are a simpler design (it might also be that chrome on a 20" wheel is just too much for me). I still prefer the non-chrome Jupiters though. And I don't like the new XK wheel, but in chrome on a black XK I think it looks great...go figure...

One thing to note on the Sentas vs Jupiters is the imminent damage to the wheel on the 20" rims. I'm definitely staying away from 20" after reading quite a few posts about them. In S. California we unfortunately don't have the newest roads/freeways.

In sum, do what you want and enjoy!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Chrome Corellia wheels

The clear coat on my 19" Corellia wheels on my '07 XK were beginning to peel. I looked into refinishing them. I found that the chrome exchange would cost about the same so I went for the chrome. I am very pleased with the look and don't feel they overwhelm the car. I have received several compliments on the car since I put the chrome wheels on and no one mentioned the wheels. As in most things it is a matter of personal preference.

Quick Reply: Wheels - is chrome too much?