XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whistling.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Whistling.........

The last few times when I start up my Jag and the A/C is on....I hear a whistling for 3-5 seconds and then it goes away. Only happens when I start up the car....

Any ideas what it could be?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it only at low RPM say like 1-2?

I just had to get a recall for something that sounded similar. apparently on mine an O ring or seal broke, causing this whistling noise.

‪Jag whistle...‬‏ - YouTube

I took that video a month ago to get the sounds recorded. Showed it to my dealer and within a few mins he came back and told me about the recall.

Took 3 hours to have replaced and they had to order the parts

Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing, although it happens more often than just at start-up, mostly at lower RPMs. Gonna take it to the shop next week.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Maxximus...thanks for the info. You would think by '11 they would have a fix by now without a recall.

Mine might be alittle different although sounds somewhat fimilar to your vid......but again it seems that mine only happens when I first start the car or after it's been sitting for awhile and then restart it. It does go away after 5 seconds and the rest of the time it doesn't whistle. Unless...my is just in the beginning stages and might get worse. I called my service manager at my dealer today and he said to change the pollen filter. I haven't changed it since I bought the car 3.5 years ago but I figured I only have 8k miles and it wouldn't be dirty. He said it might still be dirty just sitting around so I ordered one at Advanced Auto (won't arrive til next week). Tonight I opened the pollen filter and found it to be pretty clean so not sure if it's the polllen filter. I'll monitor it for the next few days even after the new filter arrives and if it does happen again...I'll need to bring it to the dealer.

Maxximus and Frogdogman....is your whistling coming from the air conditioning also or even without air it's still whistling at low RPMs? Just curious.....

Frogdogman......let us know what your dealer finds in your case!

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

I haven't tried it without the A/C on...especially with this weather! I can't really tell where it's coming from, but it seems to be on the left side either under the hood or in the dash. It is VERY high-pitched, just short of a dog whistle. When I accelerate a bit and then let up slightly is when it's most frequent.

Off topic: I drove past another XKR175 on Sunday morning. Pretty big coincidence considering there are only a few in the whole state.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM

That's pretty cool....driving by another XKR175....you should have given him the thumbs up (when I had my Vette....we would always wave to each other whenever another Vette passes by on the road....the unwritten Corvette custom).

Are you going to the Supercar Saturdays on Aug 6? I think I'm 90% sure I'm going to try to make this one. Too bad they change their location to the Promenade in Bollingbrook. I wish it was still at the Arboretum in South Barrington.....something must have happened for them to switch.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Yes, I might go this time, depending on my schedule. Bollingbrook seems like an odd choice. Do I need a passport or vaccinations? Kidding aside, I rarely get south of 88. (I didn't even know where it is until I looked at a map.)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM

hahaha.....Autobahn Country Club Motorsport Track is in Joliet eventhough I've never been there. Only time I've been in Joilet was at Route 66 Raceway and that was awhile back when I had my vette.

Btw...becareful out there....looks like Tornado Watch tonight until 1am for the Chicagoland area!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM

I did go to Autobahn CC recently for an AMG promo event. Way too crowded; the lines to take one lap were way too long. I wanted to try out the 2012 CLS63, but didn't want to wait an hour, so I only drove the C63. Plus, after doing the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy, this event seemed lame.

Stay safe with the storms. My neighbor lost part of his roof the other week and our ponds overflowed on Friday. There were frogs everywhere!

Oops...derailing the thread! I will let everyone know what I find out about the whistling.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was happening at startup when the AC was left on, and would keep making the noise while driving down my street at low speeds. the sound would go away by the time I got to the main road or the highway and could add a little speed.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow! I have had the same issue pretty much since I bought the car. I asked my dealer about it on a few different occasions but they could not reproduce the sound on their test drive. I think I will ask them about this recall.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,144 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxximus
is it only at low RPM say like 1-2?

I just had to get a recall for something that sounded similar. apparently on mine an O ring or seal broke, causing this whistling noise.

‪Jag whistle...‬‏ - YouTube

I took that video a month ago to get the sounds recorded. Showed it to my dealer and within a few mins he came back and told me about the recall.

Took 3 hours to have replaced and they had to order the parts

I cranked up the volume to the max on my PC speakers (really loud ) but still couldn't hear a whistle. I guess that's one benefit of old age - can't hear the high frequencies any more. But my wife says that's not all I can't hear...

Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Ya'll need to get your terms correct. You start calling stuff a recall and youll get a blank look cause there are few recalls. But many tsbs(jag tech service bulletins)
if the noise is the same ask them to refferance JTB00207
which involves evacuating ac system and installing a spacer in the refrigerant pipe, and recharging. At low engine speeds and certain abient temps, the ac system can produce a whistling noise as the freon negotiates the turn in the pipe at the firewall.....I better see some thankyous on this one

The following 6 users liked this post by Brutal:
chazaroo (07-11-2017), Cigar Guy (08-06-2011), Frogdogfan (07-28-2011), georgekale (07-30-2011), pk4144 (09-07-2016), Queen and Country (07-21-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Brutal....I was talking about I hear a whistling coming from the DVD when I watch Total Recall.

In all seriousness....thanks Brutal for the clarification and the TSB No.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
But my wife says that's not all I can't hear...
I'm sorry....did you say something?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Ya'll need to get your terms correct. You start calling stuff a recall and youll get a blank look cause there are few recalls. But many tsbs(jag tech service bulletins)
if the noise is the same ask them to refferance JTB00207
which involves evacuating ac system and installing a spacer in the refrigerant pipe, and recharging. At low engine speeds and certain abient temps, the ac system can produce a whistling noise as the freon negotiates the turn in the pipe at the firewall.....I better see some thankyous on this one
Excellent! Thanks. This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. The part about temps makes sense because it seems to happen only at certain times.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks Brutal!!!

Maybe I will finally be rid of this dog whistle!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM

So I got it to work while filming just now. I pulled out of the garage with the AC on and then I put it in park in the driveway. You then can hear the whistle at 00:28 for a second and that was it. Drove it at low speeds and no whistling....just that one time at 28 sec mark. Any ideas? TIA!

jagwhistle.mp4 video by lionheadxkr08 - Photobucket

Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM

I heard it! Mine will whistle for a little bit longer and then go away. I would always hear it in the parking garage at my office.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,144 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
I'm sorry....did you say something?
I don't remember. Would you mind repeating that? I turned up my hearing aid...