XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will 20‘ Takoba Rims fit my Xk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh BTW, has anyone else Googled "Takoba History" ? Interesting info and the design makes sense now.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

One more thing to follow up.

I remember seeing that in some of my wheel arches the black textile padding has become a bit loose: at a few places there a pieces that hang a bit into the wheel space.

While I am not aware that these come in touch with my current 19 wheels, it could be that this could be the case with 20 wheels.

Any suggestions on how to tag these textile bits back to the wheel arches?

br
ter

Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Takobas fit alot. Including my 04 xj with 295 30 20 rear, and 255 35 20 front all in black. And if someone else wants to switch to takobas i have 2 front takobas in silver. $700 for the pair plus shipping. Pm me

Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM

In the meantime I received my 4 Takobas with Pirelli winter tires on. As we are now approaching winter season, I removed my tamona 19’s and fitted the 20’ Takobas to my 2011 XK. The work was quite easy to do. No big surprises... really plug and play.

After reading a lot about TPMS failures with new wheels, I expected error messages to come up after driving for the first time. According to vendor, the Takobas have JLR OEM TPMS sensors fitted.
So first test drive with the Takobas was fine.
Tire pressure adjusted to correct values: done.

Result of 1st test driving: In general great and also no TMPS messages. (The 20 do not feel appreciably less comfy than the 19s, btw).

Next day drive to the office 15 miles highway. Ok
Drive home. Still ok
Drive to the gym late in the evening... wait for it.... TPMS error message appears and remained persistent since then, i.e. for 2 days meanwhile!

Drove the car since for another approx 200 mls. Tpms error remains. Also the local tire shop could not reset it with their computer, but they verified that the 4 wheels do have sensors sending signals.

What now?
Your experiences?

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 10-24-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Ter11, I would try and let 10lbs of air out of every tire with car off, then turn car on and refill every tire and see if the warning goes away. And of course doesn't hurt to check the obvious and make sure the initiators are all plugged in and in the right place, they are located in fender wells.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 10-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:43 PM

Today probably the solution to my TPMS failure problem.

After living with the TPMS failure message each time directly after engine start for about two weeks, today suddenly while driving on the highway the failure message disappeared and has not come back again.

I had tried in the meantime to lower and again bring back pressure to the tires with ignition on. Also removed briefly the fuse F2 for TPMS between the back seats. I guess all this didn’t help.

During those two weeks I mostly drove to work every day. This is usually 15 mls each way highway. Sometimes also a bit longer highway trips ie. 25 mls. Even though this should be enough to calibrate new rims\new sensors, somehow it was not.

Yesterday evening drove 2 x 30 mls. And today on the way to work the error message cleared.
Lets hope it is a permanent fix!

br
ter

The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (11-02-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Damn, my TPMS Failure is unfortunately NOT solved after all.

After driving for a couple of days without the TPMS Failure error message, in total probably 70 mls, today during driving on the highway the TPMS Failure error message has come back!!! 😫

What an emotional roller coaster the XK is giving me😉.
Lets see how the tale continues...

Br
ter

Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Damn, my TPMS Failure is unfortunately NOT solved after all.

After driving for a couple of days without the TPMS Failure error message, in total probably 70 mls, today during driving on the highway the TPMS Failure error message has come back!!! 😫

What an emotional roller coaster the XK is giving me😉.
Lets see how the tale continues...

Br
ter
I don't know if you had it done yet but I would go have each wheel tested at a tire shop. They should have a hand held tester that verifies that each sensor is either bad or good. Also one with a low battery will be intermittent.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I don't know if you had it done yet but I would go have each wheel tested at a tire shop. They should have a hand held tester that verifies that each sensor is either bad or good. Also one with a low battery will be intermittent.
yep. I already had that done when I first got the issue. They said that all 4 sensors are sending fine. They then tried a reset with a non-Jag device via OBD connection, but that didn’t work. They then told me to go to see Jag dealer.

Br
ter

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (11-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Ter11, workshop manual says that if you change wheel size that the TMPS module has to be updated with new tire pressures via SDD...

Edit:
Component Tests
Wheels and Tires
For wheel and tire specification information (pressures, torques, etc).
When replacing wheels or tires, local legislation regarding health and safety must be complied with.
If the vehicle has a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed, only Jaguar approved wheels and tires should be used. If
the wheel and tire size is changed (for example from R18 to R20) the Tire Pressure Monitoring System module should
be updated with the correct pressure information appropriate to the new wheel and tire set. Update the Tire Pressure
Monitoring System module using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system.

As a general guideline, only replace tires in pairs or as a set, and only with tires of equivalent size and specification.
Confirm the symptoms of the customer complaint.
As much information as possible should be gathered from the driver to assist in diagnosing the cause(s).
1. Before a road test, carry out a basic inspection to make sure the vehicle is safe and legal to drive.
Basic inspection
 Correct tire inflation
 Legal tire tread depth
 Cuts/Bulges in tire sidewall(s)
 Tire ply separation
 Embedded objects
 Wheel rim damage
 Correct tire installation (specification, direction of rotation, etc)
 Any obvious distortion of the tire (flat/high spots)
 Worn/Damaged steering or suspension components
Road test
If the results of the basic inspection are acceptable, carry out a road test to confirm the symptoms.
To reproduce the symptoms, test the vehicle on similar roads to those on which the fault occurs and at similar speeds
(provided it is legal to do so).
If the vibration or noise can be reproduced, note the speed at which it occurs and see if it is possible to drive through
the symptom, meaning, is it possible to alter the fault by driving faster or slower than the speed at which it occurs?
If it is possible, it is likely that the fault is caused by an imbalance in the wheel or tire.
If the vibration or noise gets worse as the vehicle speed increases, it is likely that the fault is caused by distortion in the
wheel or tire, or worn or damaged components.
Distortion checks
Check for distortion by raising the vehicle so that the wheels are free and placing an axle stand or similar fixed object
next to each wheel in turn.
If the stand is placed at the tread of the tire, the tire can be checked for ovality by turning the wheel by hand and
checking for high or low spots where the gap between the tread and the stand increases or reduces.
If the stand is placed next to the wheel rim or tire sidewall, the wheel and tire can be checked for run-out in a similar
way.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 11-13-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Thanks all!

if the issue persists I will obviously need to see the Jag dealer for this. One point that struck me although was that the needed tire pressure for the R20 is the same as for the R19 that I had fitted before. So if it really is only the pressure values, this should not cause the issue.

BR
ter

Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Also if you haven't already maybe cycling power to the TMPS receiver and TPMS module would be worth a try... they seem to be in areas that are easily accessible, so don't see any reason unplugging them for a short time couldn't be done... just a thought...

The TPMS module is located behind the Left Hand (LH) rear passenger seat, behind the Auxiliary Junction Box (AJB) and the
TPMS RF receiver is located on the AJB mounting bracket.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 11-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Btw. Here pictures of the TPMS sensors that were actually fitted to my wheels. Anyone has an idea why these do not properly work?

Are these official Jag sensors or are these some “like OEM” sensors, that are prone to not work with Jag’s so sensitive TPMS?

BR
ter

Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Btw. Here pictures of the TPMS sensors that were actually fitted to my wheels. Anyone has an idea why these do not properly work?

Are these official Jag sensors or are these some “like OEM” sensors, that are prone to not work with Jag’s so sensitive TPMS?

BR
ter
Usually all TPMS sensors are aftermarket. They should be able to be tested but if they are over 7 years old then most likely the batteries in them are dead. The XK's have a 315mhz sensor. I don't find the Jag system any more sensitive then any other car I have tested. My 2010 Lexus sensors started to fail last year. They lasted longer then I expected . I replaced one and now have 2 more with a low battery. Funny though the one on my spare which is still the OEM tire does not have a low battery yet. I bought a tester to check these and it also can check my key fobs.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM

These sensors are fitted to my winter wheels and they are from 2018, so there should be no battery problems here.

In Europe the Jag XK uses 433 MHz TPMS frequency as far as I know. US is different, that is the frequency you mentioned.

I just fitted the new Jag winter wheels with these sensors to the car and am driving it with the result that 70% of the time the car says “TPMS Fault”.

With the original summer wheels I never had a TPMS warning.

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 11-29-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

These sensors are fitted to my winter wheels and they are from 2018, so there should be no battery problems here.

In Europe the Jag XK uses 433 MHz TPMS frequency as far as I know. US is different, that is the frequency you mentioned.

I just fitted the new Jag winter wheels with these sensors to the car and am driving it with the result that 70% of the time the car says “TPMS Fault”.

With the original summer wheels I never had a TPMS warning.

Br
ter
I saw after posting that you have 433 mhz sensors . Did you ever have a problem with these before this year. Also what year is the summer tires . Based on the information I have either one of these frequencies could have been installed but it would depend on what TPMS module you have . So if you have your summer sensors checked and they were 315 mhz then the 433 won't work. There is a tester that can verify what frequency you have without removing the tire. If the summer wheels have the 433 mhz then you might have a bad sensor. On the info screen does it tell you what tire is the problem. The only other issue might be the sensor transmitter .

Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I saw after posting that you have 433 mhz sensors . Did you ever have a problem with these before this year. Also what year is the summer tires . Based on the information I have either one of these frequencies could have been installed but it would depend on what TPMS module you have . So if you have your summer sensors checked and they were 315 mhz then the 433 won't work. There is a tester that can verify what frequency you have without removing the tire. If the summer wheels have the 433 mhz then you might have a bad sensor. On the info screen does it tell you what tire is the problem. The only other issue might be the sensor transmitter .
no, the car just reports “TPMS Fault”. It does not complain about an individual wheel.

Also until a month ago with the 19’ summer wheels (as orig. delivered with the car in 2011) never had TPMS Issues. Only 1 day after fitting the new 20’ winter tires for the first time, ie. after driving 20 mls with them, the Tpms started to fault and remains faulting for most of the time (70%) since then.

Br
ter

Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I know when I had my front bumper off to have license plate holes filled and bumper resprayed I had the TPMS fault because the harness that runs inside the front bumper that connects to both front antennas was disconnected. I know there was a spot just in front bumper on the front left where the wires run that I saw that could easily be pinched and possible break or ground out the wiring, so I did some maneuvering of the wires to try and help prevent. I know I have mentioned already, and you may have responded to this, but have you checked all your connections and wiring to your antennas?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I know when I had my front bumper off to have license plate holes filled and bumper resprayed I had the TPMS fault because the harness that runs inside the front bumper that connects to both front antennas was disconnected. I know there was a spot just in front bumper on the front left where the wires run that I saw that could easily be pinched and possible break or ground out the wiring, so I did some maneuvering of the wires to try and help prevent. I know I have mentioned already, and you may have responded to this, but have you checked all your connections and wiring to your antennas?
Thanks!
I honestly doubt that my problem with TPMS stems from such wiring issues, as the faults only started after I fitted the new winter tires.

At latest in spring, when the summer tires come back on, I will know more.

Br
ter

Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!
I honestly doubt that my problem with TPMS stems from such wiring issues, as the faults only started after I fitted the new winter tires.

At latest in spring, when the summer tires come back on, I will know more.

Br
ter
Makes sense... I know we discussed the programming in SDD for tire pressure. I wonder if there is a setting for wheel size as well? I wonder if its possible with new wheel size the computer is getting signals a split second later than it thinks it should be with larger circumference wheels. Probably not but just thinking out loud...

Quick Reply: Will 20‘ Takoba Rims fit my Xk?