Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Will an XKR smoke an Aston Martin V8 Vantage? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/will-xkr-smoke-aston-martin-v8-vantage-190032/)

Tervuren 10-02-2017 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1769388)
Driving skills are a bigger factor than published numbers.
As seen here with the older less capable engine

This is true outside of the newest cars with very fine launch controls.

I was sitting at a light next to a current model Mustang GT to turn left onto the interstate, it was going to drop down to down to one lane before it got there.

I got about a .28 reflex if I had to judge on the light change, he was probably one second +. He'd been gunning it and jumping a little before it changed.

I hear some tire noise from him, but when I finish the turn and look to move over as my lane ended, I had him cleared.

He had the faster car I think. I've just had years of experience getting off the line with low reflex times on race tracks.

Once we got on the interstate he took off at 100MPH+ into the distance. But he had to wait to do it until we got there.

chazaroo 10-03-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 1769445)
This is true outside of the newest cars with very fine launch controls.

I was sitting at a light next to a current model Mustang GT to turn left onto the interstate, it was going to drop down to down to one lane before it got there.

I got about a .28 reflex if I had to judge on the light change, he was probably one second +. He'd been gunning it and jumping a little before it changed.

I hear some tire noise from him, but when I finish the turn and look to move over as my lane ended, I had him cleared.

He had the faster car I think. I've just had years of experience getting off the line with low reflex times on race tracks.

Once we got on the interstate he took off at 100MPH+ into the distance. But he had to wait to do it until we got there.

We had a 2016 Mustang GT prior to our XKR. That GT was 435 HP

Ranchero50 10-03-2017 02:12 PM

I walked the dog on a hopped up '15 and up 5.0 a couple months ago with my lowly XKR. It was a manual and didn't seem to have gears so it surprised me how easily we pulled away from 90 up through 130.

1 of 19 10-03-2017 04:55 PM

They are quick up to 130 mph I'll give you that.

Ranchero50 10-03-2017 06:11 PM

Not really. He was in the slow lane doing 80 ish and I in the fast doing @ 85. His car was obnoxiously loud and had a big old wing on it with bright red painted 5.0 emblems on the bright red coupe. He dropped a gear and hammered it, I just whacked the throttle in drive, tranny dropped a couple gears and we left him sitting there. I was pulling at least one car length per 10 mph increase in speed. He was around 50 yards behind when I left off and coasted up to 140 as he fell further behind still making lots of noise. After I slowed back down to 85 he didn't try to catch up where we could do a repeat. He did come up beside me and rev it a couple times at his exit. I was underwhelmed. Sounded like shit and it was slow...

The XKR doesn't really shine until it hits 110 mph.

chazaroo 10-04-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 1770018)
Not really. He was in the slow lane doing 80 ish and I in the fast doing @ 85. His car was obnoxiously loud and had a big old wing on it with bright red painted 5.0 emblems on the bright red coupe. He dropped a gear and hammered it, I just whacked the throttle in drive, tranny dropped a couple gears and we left him sitting there. I was pulling at least one car length per 10 mph increase in speed. He was around 50 yards behind when I left off and coasted up to 140 as he fell further behind still making lots of noise. After I slowed back down to 85 he didn't try to catch up where we could do a repeat. He did come up beside me and rev it a couple times at his exit. I was underwhelmed. Sounded like shit and it was slow...

The XKR doesn't really shine until it hits 110 mph.

Very funny post!! LOL

flyc2c 10-05-2017 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by chazaroo (Post 1768882)
There's a guy who apparently lives near me who has a V8 Vantage GT. I've run across him several times in the last month. And every time he sees my XKR, he decides to downshift and go racing past me. That got me to wondering if his car is actually faster than mine? So, I went online to do some research and based on road test results from a few different sources, it seems like an XKR is faster both zero to 60 and in a quarter mile. I was surprised and wonder if anyone has an experience vs a Vantage GT?

The short answer is no.

07 V8 Vantage was 302lb/ft torque V. 07 XKR of 413lb/ft. Problem was an open diff in the Jag to cripple it against the Aston (on purpose by parent Ford)

In 2010 Jag put an end to that sh*t with the e-diff and a 5.0 engine.

10 V8 Vantage was 346lb/ft torque to Jags 461lb/ft.

Not even close.

Putting it down is the trick. Grip is the limitation for launches. I'm only jealous of the Aston's manual gear box.

mosesbotbol 10-06-2017 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by flyc2c (Post 1771131)
Putting it down is the trick. Grip is the limitation for launches. I'm only jealous of the Aston's manual gear box.

The steering and suspension feel sportier in the Vantage than the XKR. Even though the brakes are massive and nice on the Vantage, they are not as good as the AP Racing in my Evora. Not sure how well either compare to the XKR brake options, but I have never been impressed with the brakes on any Jaguar I have owned.

sofaspud 10-14-2017 08:52 AM

Well owning a 2014 XKr & having had a 2016 Vantage S on hire for 3 weeks recently I have to say the Vantage was a massive disappointment. It may well have similar acceleration figures to the XKr but it simply does not have that effortless feeling about it. Pootling around then squirting the throttle it just felt sluggish in its response compared to the Jag. Sure if you keep it in its power band it was sharper, but then you're just tooling around like a boy racer. Of course the Jag limitation is the traction...
The gear change in the Vantage was truly dreadful (sportmatic gearbox in the one I had). As for the suspension, it would be good as a track car but on UK poor quality roads it just hopped & skipped over bumps making the car move around on the road too much.

At the end of 3 weeks I was desperate to get my XKr back from the repair shop.

chazaroo 10-15-2017 07:50 AM

Sounds like next time I see the guy in the Vantage, I should show him what XKR tail lights look like.

kfeltenberger 10-15-2017 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by chazaroo (Post 1776038)
Sounds like next time I see the guy in the Vantage, I should show him what XKR tail lights look like.

Be Conan!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oo9buo9Mtos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chazaroo 10-15-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kfeltenberger (Post 1776182)
Be Conan!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oo9buo9Mtos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/Oo9buo9Mtos

LOL!! very funny!