XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield fog

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield fog

2012 XKR Has anyone had issues with the windshield fogging up in the morning?
It took the windshield over 15 minutes to defog this morning. I had to drive down the road after the 15 minutes and the defogger finally started blowing on the windshield after a half mile down the road. The defogger doesn't seem to kick in until I've going down the road awhile, but that's useless because I need to see through the windshield to drive down the road. I'm going to complain to the dealer a second time on this issue.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by angler52
2012 XKR Has anyone had issues with the windshield fogging up in the morning?
It took the windshield over 15 minutes to defog this morning. I had to drive down the road after the 15 minutes and the defogger finally started blowing on the windshield after a half mile down the road. The defogger doesn't seem to kick in until I've going down the road awhile, but that's useless because I need to see through the windshield to drive down the road. I'm going to complain to the dealer a second time on this issue.
I have noticed in my 2009 Jaguar XKR when using the automatic climate control it takes about 5 minutes for the cars electronic temperature sensor to kick in.

Seems to blow warm air then switches over to the A/C. So yours may be the same where is takes some time for the climate control sensor to determine to blow hot or cold air depending on A/C, heat. or defroster.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Seems to blow warm air then switches over to the A/C.
My 07 XKR does the same and it is my main frustration with the car. It takes 5-10 minutes for the car to realise that it actually isn't that cold and reduce the heat output. I have tried changing the interior temperature sensor but it has made no difference. My X350 was much better at regulating the temperature.

At least it is summer here now so I tend to drive with the windows down

Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Your cars are homesick and miss the foggy days in London...

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

My XKR doesn't have these problems, but I also park in a covered semi-underground parking spot, so I don't get any fog or frost.

If the air in the car is warm when you park it and the glass becomes cold as the sun goes down, depending on the dew point, you will get fog on the inside of your windshield. This will take a long time to go away because as you said, the car's engine needs to warm up to put heat out of the defogger vents. That's how it is on every car. You could always manually override the fan speed and turn it way up but that probably won't help much. Complaining to the dealer won't solve anything and will just result in being without the car for a few days!

BTW I just had the exact same thing happen to me on my $1200 winter beater Mustang, with manual HVAC/vent controls.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Update. The defogger/defroster blows on the windshield right away when outside air temp is at 54 (car parked in garage) however at 39 deg F when left outside for an hour it fogged and stayed fogged because it never blew on the windshield, so I put it up n got the F350 out.

Last edited by angler52; 12-18-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
My XKR doesn't have these problems, but I also park in a covered semi-underground parking spot, so I don't get any fog or frost.

If the air in the car is warm when you park it and the glass becomes cold as the sun goes down, depending on the dew point, you will get fog on the inside of your windshield. This will take a long time to go away because as you said, the car's engine needs to warm up to put heat out of the defogger vents. That's how it is on every car. You could always manually override the fan speed and turn it way up but that probably won't help much. Complaining to the dealer won't solve anything and will just result in being without the car for a few days!

BTW I just had the exact same thing happen to me on my $1200 winter beater Mustang, with manual HVAC/vent controls.
Modern automotive engineering dictates that the AC compressor comes on with defogger/defroster and blows on the inside of the windshield right away with the dehumidified air that's passed over the AC evaporator. The tempurature inside or outside shouldn't matter.That's the way it works on every other vehicle I've owned recently.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

It can also depend on how cold it is outside when this happens. I thought my X350's owner's manual said at temps below 39 degrees, the A/C compressor would automatically disengage itself, thus providing no "drying" effect.

Absent the compressor drying the air, you are left with using plain old heat. How cold was it this morning?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM

39 deg. I guess I'll be driving the Ford if it's below 40 deg.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

My bet is that you guys with persistent foggy windshields have a water accumulation problem in the car. Leak around door/window seals or AC drain not doing the job. Look for a damp carpet to start with.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Update! Just read my owners manual and the defog/defrost isn't functioning as advertised. It should start to function when activated by control button in spite of any temperature. Will take it up with the dealer next time it's below 39 deg F.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure if the 39º is actually a factor, I can't find anything in my XK manual about a minimum temperature for the A/C compressor to operate (I swear it said something for my '06 XJ)

This is what my manual says about the demister (may be different for your 2012):

To remove frost or
heavy misting from the
windscreen, press the
DEF button.
• The blower switches on at a high speed but
it can be adjusted manually if required.
• Air conditioning switches on automatically
(to dehumidify the air) and cannot be
deselected.
• Recirculation is cancelled and cannot be
selected.
• The front screen heater and the rear screen
heater and door mirror heaters switch on
automatically, provided the engine is
running.
• The button indicator illuminates.
Press again or press AUTO to deselect.

Which of these 5 things are not occurring?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
This is what my manual says about the demister (may be different for your 2012):
Same in my manual for the MY11.

Something that confused me initially: the front (if you have it) and rear screen heaters come on automatically in cold weather.

In cold ambient conditions, at the start of a journey, the front and rear screen heaters will switch on automatically for the timed period. The rear heated screen will come on at temperatures below -1°C (30°F) and the front screen will come on below 5°C (41°F).
It's a shame it doesn't automatically switch on the seat and steering wheel heaters too, or provide the option to do so.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 AM

When defrost/defog is selected the blower doesn't switch to high nor is the air directed to windshield, the air continues to come out the lower vents. This occurs only when OAT is 39 deg or lower. It functions as advertised above 40 deg F.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

From the 5.0L workshop manual:

Programmed Defrost

When the 'DEF' button is pressed, the ATC (automatic temperature control) module instigates the programmed defrost function. When selected, the ATC module configures the system as follows:

• Automatic mode off
• Selected temperature unchanged
• Air inlet set to fresh air
• Air distribution set to windshield
• Blower speed set to level 6
• Windshield and rear screen heaters on.
There's no mention of any difference when there is a low external temperature. That suggests your problem is a fault, not normal operation.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 98 XJ8 and now I have a 2002 S type and they both do (did) the same thing. As soon as we get in the car the windshield gets fogged. No other car I've ever owned did it this bad this fast. The defroster seems to be in sync with the A/C. Sometimes even after I get going that the windshield is clear I find myself keep pushing the A/C on and off and the defroster on and off and the fan up and down. Even that button that shows def and windshield doesn't work the way I would think it should plus the car takes forever to warm up/

Old 02-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I had a faulty blender valve in my XE which made the car unsafe to drive in the cold. Would ice up like crazy inside. May want to check for that. The other thing that really helps is clean inside glass. Using a squeegee with light dish washing solution will get the window perfectly clean (just like how tint shops prep the glass).

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
SteveLeighton (02-16-2019), Stuart S (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

5 year old thread...

Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

And the solution for this is your direct pressure sensing valve is sticking resulting in no cool, dry air hitting the windshield. Instead you are blowing moist air on it causing the fog. Change the valve and recharge the system and your problems will be over. Preaching from the owners manual about what it is supposed to do won’t solve the issue I am afraid.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mufc:
drbbop (02-19-2019), mosesbotbol (02-19-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I bought one of these for each of my cars and no more fog on the inside:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...r-dehumidifier

Quick Reply: Windshield fog