Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winter Lay-Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Lay-Up

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so have been busy looking around.

I currently own a 2011 XKR (X150 Model) which gets very seldom use so I have some questions which some of you may be willing to help with.

I currently keep the battery topped up using a CTEK Battery Charger/Maintainer, it has a breathable fitted indoor cover, and is in a heated/ventilated garage. I also have a small de-humidifier running just in case.

I won't use it until the Spring and have put it on a "SORN" (Statutory Off-Road Notice), so am not legally allowed to drive it on the roads until it is MOT tested. My questions are, should I:

1. Start and let it idle every few weeks or so? Whilst I can get it up to temperature this way, I'm conscious of the old advice that it's always better to drive a car to temperature rather than leaving it idle.

2. The car is kept at the rear of my garage and unless I drive it on the road, the tyres will be in the identical position when I reverse it back into the garage. Am I in danger of getting flat spots on the tyres, or will this only happen after years of being stationary?

3. Is there any benefit for the car of me putting it up on axle stands for the winter months?

Thanks....Paul.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlands

1. Start and let it idle every few weeks or so? Whilst I can get it up to temperature this way, I'm conscious of the old advice that it's always better to drive a car to temperature rather than leaving it idle.
You might get the coolant up to temp but everything else will still be cold. This means that condensation will be forming with each heat/cool cycle. Since engines/cars are inanimate objects they don't need to be taken out for exercise like animals or humans. There is no need or benefit to starting an engine while the car is storage.

2. The car is kept at the rear of my garage and unless I drive it on the road, the tyres will be in the identical position when I reverse it back into the garage. Am I in danger of getting flat spots on the tyres, or will this only happen after years of being stationary?
Inflate the tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls. This will reduce or eliminate any chance of flat spots. Any slight lump will work it's way out within a mile or two in the spring.

3. Is there any benefit for the car of me putting it up on axle stands for the winter months?

Thanks....Paul.
There's very good reason to NEVER store a car with the suspension 'dangling'. The bushings are put into torsion as the suspension moves away from normal ride height. They are not meant to stay in a distorted position for months at a time.

There's lots of other myths and bad practices about storing cars.

I fill the tank, pump up the tires, attach a battery tender, clean the interior, lock the doors to shut down the computers and wish it a pleasant slumber.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I have put cars up on jack stands for the winter, however you should put the jack stands on the lower control arm, so the shocks/springs will still be compressed with the weight of the car.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies