XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK for a daily driver including winter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

QuikCat,

I bought my 2008 XK 2 years ago, 24,000 miles for $30,000. Absolutely the best GT car I have owned, even better than the two previous V12 XJS’s. NC to Key West was a dream. NC to Portland, ME was delightful. Twisty roads in the NC mountains are a kick. At a steady 80mph it gets 26.2mpg, just cannot ask for anything better. I have put on 18,000 miles and the only problems have been a failed wiper switch and a short in the cigar lighter.

It is also my daily driver, sun, rain or snow. The extra power of a XKR might be nice but the XK has more than enough to get me in all kinds of trouble with the troopers (G).

Paul

Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikCat
Thanks for the input. I thought about the Porsche, but didn't think the ride would be able to soak up the expansion joints and pot holes as easily as the XK. I've always thought of the 911 as more of a true sports car and not a grand touring ride.
I'd suggest a test drive of a Carrera not a GT or Turbo, they are a good combination of a comfortable ride and handling. I've bent two rims on the Jag in MI potholes never did on the Porsche which I put on 80k miles in MI all seasons (might just be luck of course).

Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

I have drove my 07 XKR through 2 winters and with Blizzaks there are no issue's. However that is in 3" or less snow as anymore you would become a snow plow. It also cannot handle any snow plow ridges left in the roadway. I try not to drive mine when the roads are covered but with working and all it is unavoidable sometimes.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikCat
Doing some research, it looks like Jag changed things in MY 2010. Different suspension (no CATS), different engine, some visual items, etc. For what my budget is, I think I can get into an XK of 2010-11 vintage or XKR in the 07-09. Are the changes significant to go with the series 2 versus series 1? According to the EPA, the R only does 1 mpg worse highway and 2 mpg city than the standard XK.

I'm fine with RWD drive in the winter (drove an '06 Mustang, and the XJR year round), but winter tires are a requirement, so I'll budget for those. Any ideas on what to budget for the suspension rebuild? Is this something that can be done in my garage? I replaced the air struts and bushings on the XJR, so unless special tools are needed, hopefully its something I can do.

Other cars I've looked at include the Audi S5 and the BMW 6 series. Don't think there's much on the domestic front other than maybe a Cadillac with the magna-ride suspension...
I don't know about he Audi, but I think you'll find the BMW would be a bigger maintenance expense than an XK. Our 2010 XK was pretty much bulletproof. Haven't had our XKR long enough to know how that will do but is sure is a hoot to drive!