Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK mid-pipe on an XKR is win!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Im unsure how true that statement is

I've heard of a few guys having issues loading the xkr-s tune onto the xkr due to the fact of it not having a merge x-pipe

If your statement was correct in the fact the resonators are able to merge the two banks then in theory the xkr-s tune would work on the xkr without the x-pipe mod, however the tune only works properly once the x-pipe is installed

If anyone can add or clarify it would be appreciated

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 01-02-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The biggest issue is that I want to be able to revert back to the original midpipe if I sell the car.

I will continue to keep an eye for an XK midpipe on eBay!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that is true

I have the resonator delete/ x-pipe combo and also have he oem mid-pipe

Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Im unsure how true that statement is

I've heard of a few guys having issues loading the xkr-s tune onto the xkr due to the fact of it not having a merge x-pipe

If your statement was correct in the fact the resonators are able to merge the two banks then in theory the xkr-s tune would work on the xkr without the x-pipe mod, however the tune only works properly once the x-pipe is installed

If anyone can add or clarify it would be appreciated
Easy. Long winded but easy. A resonator is a sound control device. On the XK/XKR both pipes enter a common chamber inside the resonator so the gas is mixed and the exhaust pulses are dampened. An X-pipe merges and combines the exhaust pulse waves to better scavenge the cylinders without regard for sound control. We all know the XKR has two resonators installed on it's mid-pipe. Removing one resonator and installing an X-pipe in it's place is a waste of money because the remaining resonator will ruin the scavenging effect the X-pipe might otherwise contribute. The exhaust will only flow as much as it's most restrictive point. The XKR-S has no resonators, only the X-pipe in it's mid-pipe then straight to the muffler which is bypassed under WOT. This is why it can be more aggressively tuned...if you can live with the noise.

Burns collector:
Same work of art on the interior of their x-pipes.

You can see how beautifully it would divide and flow the exhaust pulses. Pulse from one cylinder travels down the exhaust to the x-pipe where it joins the other pipe from the opposite bank. This creates a vacuum which pulls the exhaust out of a cylinder from the other side or perhaps another from the same side. It's more efficient at moving more of the exhaust out of the cylinders than a back pressure design and improves volumetric efficiency (VE). More fresh air and fuel in the cylinder equals more power. Older cars with flapper air flow meters would adjust automatically but today engines are tuned using speed/density systems. These use manifold pressure and temp sensors which assume constant volumetric efficiency. Change anything on the car that changes VE and you have to change the tune. Hence the reason the XKR-S tune won't work on an XKR. Match the VE and it'll work.

Common dual exhaust resonator:

Definitely NOT for performance. Most of the exhaust scavenging energy is lost in the mid-chamber.

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-04-2017 at 10:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flyc2c:
kj07xk (01-05-2017), shemp (01-05-2017), u102768 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

PM sent

Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 AM
Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Source for Mid-Pipe

I thought I would post this just in case anyone is looking for this mid-pipe. I ordered one from genuinenewparts.com (here) and the price was $268.24 + $20 shipping. While a muffler shop might be less expensive, I thought this was a pretty good price for a bolt-on part.

The new mid-pipe arrived yesterday in good condition.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I had the mid-pipe replacement done about a year ago at my local muffler shop, welded in and including the x-pipe, connecting pipes to the rear box, all materials and labor for $280. Just for reference.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Definitely a Win!

I installed the mid-pipe today. Like flyc2c I wanted a bit more "growl" and, after doing a lot of reading, I decided that an aftermarket exhaust would be a bit too much. I had a Borla exhaust on my 2005 XKR and I loved the sound but they no longer seem to have a bolt-on kit for our cars.

As others mentioned, an x-pipe would have also been an option at around the same price. However, like the flyc2c I wanted to be able to go back to the original setup if desired. So, that left me with the XK mid-pipe.

It took me about 3 hours to install the mid-pipe but I was moving a bit slow and I decided to do a thorough cleaning of my wheels while they were off. The install was quite easy and I had no trouble separating the original mid-pipe and installing the new one. In fact, the hardest part was probably getting the car up on 4 jack stands and then maneuvering under the car. If you have a lift, this is probably a one hour job at the most.

I am VERY pleased with the sound. I have fuse 19 pulled and the new mid-pipe makes the car sound very aggressive under throttle but still fairly quiet with no drone at cruising RPMs. It is exactly what I was looking for.

So, I definitely agree with flyc2c: XK mid-pipe on an XKR is a win!

The following users liked this post:
flyc2c (06-27-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xkr 5L original setup desired

Hi
If anybody has a stock twin chambers 5L xkr mid pipe for sale on the EU side preferably, I might be interested. Please pm / let me know.
One side question : are 4.2 and 5L exhausts made from different diameter tubes ?
Thx !

Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also try my luck in this post

hi toegether,

I know I am late on this party
My car: 2010 XKR 5.0.
Actually exhaust setup: Arden high performance exhaust consisting Arden highflow 200cpsi cats, arden mid section (2 resonators), arden end muffler)
This setup is very loud and very aggressiv. For me too much. I tried to replace the arden highflow 200cpsi cats with the OEM cats. Unfortunately this setup (oem cats, arden mid section (2 resonators), arden end muffler) was definitely to quiet. The loudness was a bit bit bit more than OEM but too quiet or like OEM but with a bit more growl.
My idea now: Go with the OEM cats an replace the arden mid section (2 resonators) with the XK section (one resonator) or x-pipe (no mid resonator), leave the arden end muffler. I know there is a good sound plus with the XK section (one resonator) but I am asking me if it is still too quiet and if I should go directly to the x-pipe? Is the sound plus between the xk section (one resonator) and the x-pipe a big plus or just a bit? Please keep in mind i dont want have it so loud and aggressive like with my Arden high performance exhaust consisting Arden highflow 200cpsi cats, arden mid section (2 resonators), arden end muffler). So maybe with an x-pipe I have this loudness again?

In short:
- Is there a big loudness plus between xk midpipe and x-pipe?
- Do I have the same loudness with my Arden highflow 200cpsi cats, arden mid section (2 resonators), arden end muffler) in comparsion to OEM cats, x-pipe, arden end muffler?

thanks for help

Best wishes

Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

The sound is controlled within the cats and rear muffler the middle resonator doesn't have a huge impact on sound although you do have the ability to pick up a few extra hp with a x-pipe conversion and a couple more decibel.

100 or 200 cell cats are going to be loud as &$*@ with fuse 19 pulled out and reverting back to the oem 400/600 cell is going to be too tame I've heard 400cell cats and they defitnitely hit the sweet spot I'm yet to hear a single 600cell in place although that could also be a option with a X pipe.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound is controlled within the cats and rear muffler the middle resonator doesn't have a huge impact on sound although you do have the ability to pick up a few extra hp with a x-pipe conversion and a couple more decibel.

100 or 200 cell cats are going to be loud as &$*@ with fuse 19 pulled out and reverting back to the oem 400/600 cell is going to be too tame I've heard 400cell cats and they defitnitely hit the sweet spot I'm yet to hear a single 600cell in place although that could also be a option with a X pipe.
Hi @steve_k_xk
Am I correct...the OEM cats are one 400cell an the other one 600cell. How I see the this at the oem cats?
Should I mix one 200cell arden cat with an oem cat? 200 and 600 or 200 and 400 cell? Is that not harmful for the engine or general for the car?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

If you start mixing cats, you'll run into some problems. They each have different flow restrictions so the two banks of the engine will work against each other.
OR, are you talking in-line with each other, using four?. The 600 would restrict the 200 anyway, so why bother with 200?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Or again, maybe I don't understand all what has been written before and I should keep my nose out of it.......

Old 03-12-2020, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

As I see it there are two options

A) keep the Arden system in its place and ditch the 200 cell cats for a single 400 or 600 cell at this stage its hard to know what is too loud for your taste or too quiet for you .
a) If you go a single 600 cell and its still not at your preferred liking you can swap your mid pipe resonators out for a X pipe and that would add a few more decibel and get you closer to your desired sound.

b) if you go the 400 cell (which is the absolute sweet spot for my liking) it might be too loud and we're back at square one .

option a in my opinion seems to be the safest option to go without hearing 400s in the flesh as they are still quite loud (remember I've got 100s , enlarged mid pipe and valves premanately in the open position I still think 400d are loudish)

Keeps me updated to what you do that'll great

Old 03-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve_k_xk, what cats/mid pipe are you running?

As I see it there are two options

A) keep the Arden system in its place and ditch the 200 cell cats for a single 400 or 600 cell at this stage its hard to know what is too loud for your taste or too quiet for you .
a) If you go a single 600 cell and its still not at your preferred liking you can swap your mid pipe resonators out for a X pipe and that would add a few more decibel and get you closer to your desired sound.

b) if you go the 400 cell (which is the absolute sweet spot for my liking) it might be too loud and we're back at square one .

option a in my opinion seems to be the safest option to go without hearing 400s in the flesh as they are still quite loud (remember I've got 100s , enlarged mid pipe and valves premanately in the open position I still think 400d are loudish)

Keeps me updated to what you do that'll great

Old 03-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Stage 2 center section from Adamesh and had it installed yesterday and so far love it. Really gives the Cat a nice roar. Still have the original rear muffler with fuse 19 out.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

En route I'm running 100cell cats and it's looudddd

Old 03-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you just buy a set of good universal cats and have them fabbed in? I’m looking to swap out my stock cats since they are both throwing codes and seemingly clogged up acting. I’d prefer upgrading a little since I need to change them anyhow.

En route I'm running 100cell cats and it's looudddd

Old 03-28-2020, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Any exhaust place can fab them up for you I'd be inclined to running a 400 cell and yes if the old ones are clogged up you'll be down on some HP

Quick Reply: XK mid-pipe on an XKR is win!