XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK mid-pipe on an XKR is win!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts
Default XK mid-pipe on an XKR is win!

I've been wanting to mildly upgrade the sound of my XKR. Fuse 19 was just a tease. I didn't want to go full system because I like the look and vacuum exhaust valve of the OEM muffler. I didn't want to modify my original center pipe just in case I ever wanted to go back. I also tried to find a used XK center pipe because it has one less resonator than the XKR. That way if I wanted to modify it I'd still have the original. Well low and behold a brand spankin' new one popped up on ebay CHEAP. Even had the clamps in the front and new rubber donuts in the back. Here are the two side by side. Sorry for the craptastic phone pic...

I have to say the sound is awesome!!! Quiet down low and deep raspy under load at high RPM. Soon I will modify the ASL button to control the muffler valve. I never use the stupid thing anyway. If anyone else does this take this advice. Measure the distance between the pipes of your old mid-pipe and make sure the new one isn't tweaked a little. I got it in and the muffler wouldn't line up. Had to remove it and give it a little persuasion for it to match up but an easy bolt up solution!

I love it!!!!!

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-12-2016 at 05:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flyc2c:
benfbrown (06-08-2017), Cee Jay (04-01-2020), guy (02-21-2020)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

I have a Full Elite RR exhaust, the centre pipe is as you got with one resonator, does increase sound this way.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-12-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Very good!

Now if you remove that last remaining resonator and put a crossover in it's place (X-pipe or H-pipe) you will have the perfect exhaust.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Soon I will modify the ASL button to control the muffler valve. I never use the stupid thing anyway.
That is a great idea!
I started from the other direction. Having an XK (not R), I swapped out the backbox for one from an XKR.
Love the sound, but have thought it might be useful to have a 'quiet mode' too (for funeral processions, or when traveling through avalanche zones ;-) ).
I don't have adaptive cruise control, so I bought the steering wheel switch and fog lamp switch pad that have those buttons that are unused on my car, thinking I'd find a way (sometime) to use one if them to control the exhaust valves.
At the time I bought them I didn't know the valves were used in a simple on/off method, so I thought the steering wheel switch could be used as an exhaust 'volume control', ramping the 'noise' up or down! Oh well, such is not the case.
I also have a vacuum pump that I'll use to run the valves, and I did buy a 'mild-to-wild' kit, that I figure can be used to control it.
So thanks for the idea about the ASL switch (Auto Sound Limiter?), gives me another, and probably easier switch to use (although an unused garage door opener button or two should work with the 'mild-to-wild' also).

Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I've been wanting to mildly upgrade the sound of my XKR. Fuse 19 was just a tease. I didn't want to go full system because I like the look and vacuum exhaust valve of the OEM muffler. I didn't want to modify my original center pipe just in case I ever wanted to go back. I also tried to find a used XK center pipe because it has one less resonator than the XKR. That way if I wanted to modify it I'd still have the original. Well low and behold a brand spankin' new one popped up on ebay CHEAP. Even had the clamps in the front and new rubber donuts in the back. Here are the two side by side. Sorry for the craptastic phone pic...

I have to say the sound is awesome!!! Quiet down low and deep raspy under load at high RPM. Soon I will modify the ASL button to control the muffler valve. I never use the stupid thing anyway. If anyone else does this take this advice. Measure the distance between the pipes of your old mid-pipe and make sure the new one isn't tweaked a little. I got it in and the muffler wouldn't line up. Had to remove it and give it a little persuasion for it to match up but an easy bolt up solution!

I love it!!!!!
I'd love to hear a video of the sound. I think my XKR is still way too quiet without Fuse 19!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
That is a great idea!
I started from the other direction. Having an XK (not R), I swapped out the backbox for one from an XKR.
Love the sound, but have thought it might be useful to have a 'quiet mode' too (for funeral processions, or when traveling through avalanche zones ;-) ).
I don't have adaptive cruise control, so I bought the steering wheel switch and fog lamp switch pad that have those buttons that are unused on my car, thinking I'd find a way (sometime) to use one if them to control the exhaust valves.
At the time I bought them I didn't know the valves were used in a simple on/off method, so I thought the steering wheel switch could be used as an exhaust 'volume control', ramping the 'noise' up or down! Oh well, such is not the case.
I also have a vacuum pump that I'll use to run the valves, and I did buy a 'mild-to-wild' kit, that I figure can be used to control it.
So thanks for the idea about the ASL switch (Auto Sound Limiter?), gives me another, and probably easier switch to use (although an unused garage door opener button or two should work with the 'mild-to-wild' also).
Good ideas on the steering wheel stuff! I have the adaptive cruise so I couldn't go that route. I've seen the remote that works with the garage door buttons. It's a great solution. I too want a quiet car for those long road trips. It will be nice to have control. The ASL feature is stupid without being able to lock it with a code i.e. valet parking. The nice thing is the ASL button is close to the fuse panel so it should be easy. ASL-Awesome Super Loud button?

Originally Posted by Cambo
Very good!

Now if you remove that last remaining resonator and put a crossover in it's place (X-pipe or H-pipe) you will have the perfect exhaust.
That's my plan. When done I'll be way under half of what an aftermarket mid-pipe would have cost me.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Good ideas on the steering wheel stuff! I have the adaptive cruise so I couldn't go that route. I've seen the remote that works with the garage door buttons. It's a great solution. I too want a quiet car for those long road trips. It will be nice to have control. The ASL feature is stupid without being able to lock it with a code i.e. valet parking. The nice thing is the ASL button is close to the fuse panel so it should be easy. ASL-Awesome Super Loud button?

That's my plan. When done I'll be way under half of what an aftermarket mid-pipe would have cost me.
You may want to cut open the muffler and open up the perforated pipes inside. I would believe that would make it a unique sound (either good or bad) because you now have an increased volume . Then again it may create more back pressure. At least you have all of the proper dimensions to work with for the X-pipe modification. Have fun

Old 02-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Why did the XK come with 1 res and the XKR with 2? Strange.

For my exhaust I left the 2 resonators, completely removed everything from the mid pipe back, and put in straight pipes with dual tips. Quiet when cruising, loud when your on it. I cant count how many people have told me how great it sounds. Very happy with it, but I like loud , aggressive exhaust.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Chadly, do you have a video/recording of your exhaust?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Couldn't get my video uploaded to you tube, taking forever so used Flicker.
This is my Elite RR exhaust on a car run some time ago,just one center box and rear non active, Loud sound and this was taken on my wife's Samsung mini from inside, her music choice sorry, outside noise is unreal, must get an up to date one done soon.
The sound it one of the loudest and not just because it's mine the nicest I've heard. On a calm day it can be heard a mile and a half away, there's a lovely crackle and popping on down shift and a real jaguar roar. There was a f-type on the run and as I love there noise mine could easily cover its noise to the owners amazement.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135119.../in/datetaken/

Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM

This is a seriously crappy cell phone video from a long time ago. Doors closed, windows up, doesn't really give you a good idea of how it sounds...

Facebook Post

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 07:00 PM

Need to get a new video. Once the streets aren't white anymore I will get one done and post it.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chadly
Why did the XK come with 1 res and the XKR with 2? Strange.

For my exhaust I left the 2 resonators, completely removed everything from the mid pipe back, and put in straight pipes with dual tips. Quiet when cruising, loud when your on it. I cant count how many people have told me how great it sounds. Very happy with it, but I like loud , aggressive exhaust.
Is it the same as fuse 19 pulled? Probably a bit louder since there are four pipes that are straight through instead of 2.

I'll get a video up next week. It's back to the skies for me Tuesday.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:45 PM

Definitely louder than just the fuse pulled as there is no muffler. Just have the 2 resonators in the middle, mandrel bent pipes, and tips at the back. I think its perfect, if not a bit too loud sometimes, like when cruising at 75 on the highway.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 PM

Ok folks, here you go! Played with my new HD camera today. Videos with Fuse 19 in and removed. Quite a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAe...ature=youtu.be

Drive by's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQf...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-15-2016 at 04:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flyc2c:
barnsie (10-09-2019), kj07xk (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Sounds great. Music to my ears.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Chadly your exhaust sounds the same as I got my first XF (4.2) to with the Paramount exhaust - they removed the back section and put on new pipes with mufflers that werent much bigger than the pipes.

It was the best sounding exhaust I've heard, like an Aston. Even the guys up at the Aston/Jag dealership were like kids standing around the car listening to it rev after it was done.

The following users liked this post:
Chadly (02-18-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds interesting for sure. I would love to hear what it sounds like at full throttle! Definitely it has the sort of burbling that I'd be looking for at idle!

[EDIT]DIdn't realize there were more clips with heavy throttle. Damn nice sound!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Also, for those of you looking at this, a new mid-pipe for non-supercharged (XK) is only $286 + S/H/tax on Gaudin Jaguar Parts.com!!

http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/aut...omponents-scat

Old 02-15-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Also, for those of you looking at this, a new mid-pipe for non-supercharged (XK) is only $286 + S/H/tax on Gaudin Jaguar Parts.com!!

EXHAUST COMPONENTS for 2007 Jaguar XK
That's pretty close to what I paid. Quite a deal! Can't beat the dollar/satisfaction ratio. Even if you had an x-pipe installed you'd still be in waaaay less than an XKR-S pipe. Much less than half! I'm really thrilled with the sound. On the fence of an X-pipe. My other car is too loud and I drive it less because of it. If I go with Derek's 300 cell cats it may be too loud for me with an X. I must be getting old. I'm going to leave it. For now.

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-15-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: XK mid-pipe on an XKR is win!