XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR exhaust upgrade

Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade

The last thing you want to do is remove the center section. I tried this app 6 months ago & it is way to loud. We had done it on non supercharged cars with a great deal of success however on the supercharged cars with the active exhaust when letting off the gas it is like straight pipes. The best way to describe it is to say it sounds like a 1960s era car with Cherry Bomb mufflers. The best exhaust I have found so far is Quicksilver. We installed one of there first systems & loved the sound. If you want more power try an upper pulley & having the computer reprogrammed. This along with the exhaust will give you more power.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the quicksilver exhaust. Measurable improvement in performance and great noise. If you want to go further try a replacement cat from Paramount. This apparently increases power and noise signifcantly.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone heard a quicksilver AND milltek exhaust, such that he/she can compare the sound?

Also, I assume (and some other posts hint) that the electronically controlled exhaust is eliminated with an aftermarket exhaust. I love the "flappy" sound in the stock exhaust at WOT - does eliminating the electronically controlled exhaust eliminate this "flappy" sound or would it result in the "flappy" sound at all RPMs and throttle pressures?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can search youtube.com for all kinds of videos and audio of various exhaust sounds. You can also go to Quicksilver's website.

Tim

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We will have a set of 200 cell metallic high flow catalyst downpipes on the market here pretty soon. Our first set is out for installation right now and provided the fitment results are good we will be releasing these very soon. They're 2.5" mandrel bent T304 stainless steel with TIG welded joints and factory slip fit or full 2.5" outlet options. The difference in flow between these downpipes and the factory high cell count stacked/gap brick designs are stunning. I'll be posting a blog post soon to detail the build as well as the design differences. Best part is - install appears to be really accessible unlike the earlier chassis design. So pretty straightforward to install as well.

If you're looking for a little less muffling and a bump in overall exhaust flow, it's a great way to go. They'll retail for $799/set with a 10% discount on the first 10 sets for forum members. We're a sponsor vendor here and are also looking for other projects to take on for the '07+ XKR's and XJR's. We may develop an exhaust for these cars as well if we can find a local car to prototype it on.

We are also working toward some intercooling solutions for the earlier XKR/XJR's and plan on using similar solutions on the 2007+ generation.

Look forward to talking to you all soon,

Jason

Last edited by nameless; 08-26-2010 at 02:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
azureyes (03-31-2015)
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  19.3 KB

Do yourself a favour dingbat and check out Namless exhausts as above.
Jason has been working very closely with some of our forum members on these systems with pretty impressive results.....loads of forum member reveiws too on these, just do a search and you'll see

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Removing the center sounds very nice on the 97-06 models, which have the same engine as an '07 I believe. Search that section for tons of reviews.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I did quite a bit of research when I did exhaust on my car and my consensus was that the best value for my money was a complete custom system. A bunch of the premade aftermarket systems sound great and flow very well, but they were more than I was willing to spend at the time.

Here is what I came up with: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811

I'm not as familiar with the later cars, so it may not be as great of an option, but check it out.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Milltek Exhaust and thought it was loud at first and then after getting use to it I thought it was too soft. So I now added Nameless Performance cats and it's loud and I love it but some people (Moe ) thinks it's too loud of a combo and so you can always go down to the 400 cell if it's too loud.

Definitely contact Jason at Nameless Performance if you're looking for some cats. Very knowledgable guy and a stand up guy to deal with.

The Quicksilver seems louder than the Milltek in videos but some of the videos online have bad audio quality it's somewhat hard to tell. Also....you will need to see if it's too loud and any resonance or dronning in the cabin and so the best is to find someone in your area with the exhaust your looking for and listen in person. If it's too loud you can always just install the mufflers and leaves the pipes from the cats back in stock form. I know the Milltek you can and most likely you can also with the Quicksilver.

Looking at the pics of the QS....it looks like there are smaller cans/silencers in the back and so most likely it's louder and so you really can't go wrong with either one it's just what is your preference in loudness and sound.

For example........two of my video below (both with the Milltek and Nameless Performance cats) seems to have alittle different exhaust sound using 2 different video cam. The more exact sound is the 2nd one.

1. xkr.mp4 video by lionheadxkr08 - Photobucket

2. ‪Coke Commercial Teaser‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 07-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that some of the unwanted noise may be coming from vibrating heat shielding or a leak somewhere in the exhaust system. I am taking the car by the shop tomorrow to have them take a look at it. Jason and I came to this conclusion due to the fact that the noise levels that I am experiencing are inconsistent. Sometimes it sounds like I have a beefed up V8 and other times it sounds like I have a Mac truck!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
I have the Milltek Exhaust and thought it was loud at first and then after getting use to it I thought it was too soft. So I now added Nameless Performance cats and it's loud and I love it but some people (Moe ) thinks it's too loud of a combo and so you can always go down to the 400 cell if it's too loud.

Definitely contact Jason at Nameless Performance if you're looking for some cats. Very knowledgable guy and a stand up guy to deal with.

The Quicksilver seems louder than the Milltek in videos but some of the videos online have bad audio quality it's somewhat hard to tell. Also....you will need to see if it's too loud and any resonance or dronning in the cabin and so the best is to find someone in your area with the exhaust your looking for and listen in person. If it's too loud you can always just install the mufflers and leaves the pipes from the cats back in stock form. I know the Milltek you can and most likely you can also with the Quicksilver.

Looking at the pics of the QS....it looks like there are smaller cans/silencers in the back and so most likely it's louder and so you really can't go wrong with either one it's just what is your preference in loudness and sound.

For example........two of my video below (both with the Milltek and Nameless Performance cats) seems to have alittle different exhaust sound using 2 different video cam. The more exact sound is the 2nd one.

1. xkr.mp4 video by lionheadxkr08 - Photobucket

2. ‪Coke Commercial Teaser‬‏ - YouTube
Hey, I've seen your XKR on the forum a few times, great looking ride! Love the sound in your videos and am looking to do something similar. Is that the same Milltek exhaust that can be found on Mina Gallery?

Cheers.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Mina Gallery sells their own catback and therefore they don't sell other brands. Per Moe......the Mina kit is a good kit.

The reason I got the Milltek was because I ordered an Audi S5 before the Jag and during the wait I was researching the S5 catback exhaust and found Milltek was very popular and good reviews amongst the Audi guys. The wait for the S5 was too long and so I cancelled the order and bought a XKR. Saw that Milltek offered a catback kit for the XKR and so I went with Milltek. I ordered mine through Paramount Performance in the UK and it was shipped to me. It was seamless and took maybe a week (been awhile). You can also order through Eurotoys if you perfer not to deal with Paramount overseas. At that time I didn't know Eurotoys and so I went with Paramount.

Mina: Talk to Chris
Eurotoys: Talk to Mike

Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm shopping exhausts too. The Miltek is about $1k more than the Mina exhaust and the Quicksilver is like $1.5k more. Does the Mina sound just as good? What exactly is the incentive to pay more for the other two exhausts?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The different is that Quicksilver and Miltek are UK companies vs. Mina which is a US company. The majority of the price difference is due to the exchange rate.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Default Complete set-up

I have a full set up that will match any out there..sound, performance..no codes..dual tip.full stainless.designed by solo performance...videos not on their web yet....US /Cdn owner hopes to expand into luxury performance market..they specialze in V8's..mustang and cameros etc..

2000.00 Cdn ....includes CATS and full exhaust back...amazing is the only word..wakes your kitty up

Recently traded my 2009 XKR for an aston martin Vantage....if interest I will look into shipping costs

Just put this on kijijji here in canada.....a few inquires..pics available

stew

Last edited by Stewman; 04-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stewman

Recently traded my 2009 XKR for an aston martin Vantage....
Stew,

Would like to hear how you compare/contrast the two vehicles, why you traded the XKR, what you like/don't like about the Vantage, etc. I think there are many of us who have (or have had) both cars on our "next vehicle" list.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Tough question....

Both cars are awesome....the XKR more power and torgue than the Vantage...softer ride...XKR ..truly a GT car with sport performance...visually I struggled with the lines on the XKR( rear and front)...but I think Ian Mcallum intended to be true to the Jag heritage......which is quality and refined

Vantage....is simply "art on wheels" some say "sex"...many comments about the Jag when amongst the public..but with the Vantage....people point, takes pictures, girls out of no where, stop and say what a sexy car"..lol...no kidding

The Aston is a cross between the 911 and XKR....not as much work to drive the manual as the 911 and not as relaxing as in the XKR....the Vantage has some GT qualities( which I like...the sound is breath taking..the interior is very appealing..eye candy

Main reason I traded.......XKR's hold their value.( it had 57000km) ..and not many for sale across the country and a gentlemen/dealer offered me 10 grand more than I paid ...( that speaks volumes about the XKR) he moved on the aston price too.....the aston HAD...a quicksilver exhaust, power upgrade and full body protection with only 17000 miles...for a 2007 if performs like the 2009 up V8's....he also shipped to my door and picked up the Jag...

Overall I could go on and on..the XKR is an awesone vehical especialyl with an exhaust upgrade...Im sure the 2010 and up are even better

.....I think if you find the right car..the depreciate point is a huge issue...the aston....is only 1 out of 7000 for that year...once it reaches it deprec. point it holds its value better and is cash in the bank...and is as good to look at as it is to drive( for me)...still learning about the car..and I had much more to learn about the XKR.....

I hope this helps shed a little light on how I see the 2 cars and why I went this direction
stew

Last edited by Stewman; 04-08-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XKR exhaust upgrade