XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR Major Differences Amongst the Years?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR Major Differences Amongst the Years?

So trying to understand the additional bang for the bigger bucks if I get an 09, 10, 11, 12, etc, I'm trying to take note of the major additions. Can someone add to this list?

- 07 : introduction of the XKR

- 08 : removal of the less-than-attractive antenna

- 09 :

- 10 : move from 4.2 to 5.0 V8 adding roughly 100 horses to the mix. Larger calipers and rotors up front (maybe in rear)? Stitching on the leather seats?

I'm basically stuck trying to figure out if I want to get a higher mileage 2010 with the bigger motor (~60-75k) or if I want to get a less used 08 (~25-35K miles). Would love any feedback.

Ideally, I would want to find a portfolio edition with the charcoal/ivory combo interior.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Your going to get a high response leaning to the 2nd generation ('10 and newer)
If you can reach it, go for it.
Personally I would be happy with an XKR.... Any XKR....

Vince

The following users liked this post:
2000_328ci (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

The major change for 2009 was the addition of iPod connectivity that is integrated with the touchscreen display and steering wheel controls. I use it all the time with my old iPod Nano 5th generation and it works great.

My 2009 XKR Portfolio has the Ivory/Slate (not charcoal) interior and, although it is gorgeous, the ivory leather requires more frequent cleaning than the charcoal/cranberry leather. But for me, it's worth the trouble. My car has all the options, including Alcon brakes and Adaptive Cruise. Sorry, not for sale.

See this article for 2009 XKR Portfolio details including color choices and options: 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Details

Here's a rare, super low mileage (3,009 miles, allegedly) 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible on eBay: Jaguar XK XKR Portfolio Convertible | eBay It has the Ivory/Slate interior you're looking for, but doesn't have Alcon brakes or Adaptive Cruise. It has the spun aluminum/Piano Black trim (mine has Rich Oak veneer) and Grey soft top (mine is Black).

I see you're a newbie in DC. I recommend you check Rosenthal Jaguar's inventory in Tyson's Corner and Chantilly and Jaguar Bethesda and drive before you decide what to buy. Also note that the 2010 XKR came fully loaded, including adaptive cruise, and the 5.0L 510HP with the e-diff, and LED tail lights. Alcon brakes were not available after 2009. The 4.2XKR is plenty quick; the 5.0XKR is insane!

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Good luck with your quest. This forum is very informative, so use the search function to find answers to your questions.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-29-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice Stuart! Really appreciative. The forum is full of so much information it's actually tough to sift through everything.

Your car is absolutely gorgeous and I have, what is for me, bad news... I want a coupe.

That makes this whole search even more difficult as they are so far and few between. The one on ebay is almost exactly what I'm looking for minus the retractable top.

I suppose my wish list would be :

- Portfolio coupe likely from 08 to keep it in my price range with the alcon brakes
- high mileage (65-75k) 2010 xkr coupe
- low mileage 08 xkr coupe.

The irony about you mentioning Rosenthal in Tyson's Corner is that I went over there to test drive a black on tan 08 xkr coupe and LOVED it. Having little idea how perfect the timing was, I decided to take the weekend to think it over and get financing in order for the purchase... when I went back in the following Monday with financing arranged, it was gone. Given that it only had 24k miles on it and was priced at 38, I think I missed a great buy.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

I've had the 4.2 engine in an XF, and in my view it sounds pretty awesome and probably takes the mods a little better than the 5 litre exhaust, if engine note is your thing. Also the 4.2 XKR had supercharger whine which was eliminated in the 5 litre XKR (I don't mind the whine at all), and really the performance of the 4.2 supercharged is plenty good enough and probably more usable than the 5 supercharged which in my car at least makes for more careful driving with loss of traction at the drop of a pin.

These are only points on why the 4.2 has a lot going for it. I've got the 5.0 supercharged, and I love the power, and the more modern interior with the rotary shift that I was used to from the XFs.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
Thank you so much for the wonderful advice Stuart! Really appreciative. The forum is full of so much information it's actually tough to sift through everything.

Your car is absolutely gorgeous and I have, what is for me, bad news... I want a coupe.

That makes this whole search even more difficult as they are so far and few between. The one on ebay is almost exactly what I'm looking for minus the retractable top.

I suppose my wish list would be :

- Portfolio coupe likely from 08 to keep it in my price range with the alcon brakes
- high mileage (65-75k) 2010 xkr coupe
- low mileage 08 xkr coupe.

The irony about you mentioning Rosenthal in Tyson's Corner is that I went over there to test drive a black on tan 08 xkr coupe and LOVED it. Having little idea how perfect the timing was, I decided to take the weekend to think it over and get financing in order for the purchase... when I went back in the following Monday with financing arranged, it was gone. Given that it only had 24k miles on it and was priced at 38, I think I missed a great buy.
Be patient and you will find the coupe you are looking for. Note that the 2008 XKR Portfolio exterior color was black and the 2009 was gray and they had different wheel designs but Alcons were available in both years. I'd go with the low mileage 4.2L over the high mileage 5.0L, but in either case make sure you get the full service history and don't rely on CarFax. My experience is that a CarFax report is helpful only if it includes bad stuff; if there is no bad stuff, buyer beware; pay a Jaguar dealer to do a written pre-purchase inspection and have a body shop check it for body repairs before closing the deal.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I don't know if you're looking for a coupe or convertible, but you might want to take a look at this listing on ebay.
Jaguar XKR R Model | eBay
I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 XKR coupe with higher mileage (68K), however, it is getting a new engine as well as we are rebuilding the old as the damage seems to have been limited to rod bearings. Price will be in the mid-thirties, which allows me to do some customization while having the peace of mind of a nearly new engine and a spare to boot. The ebay listing looks very interesting and they are entertaining offers, but they don't give too much information. Maybe worth a call to the dealership. The 5.0L is too good an engine to not try and get, if possible.

I must say, however, I like the front end of the pre-2010 cars better. The vertical slits in the lower part of the bumper are just too common on every new Ford product and many other makes as well. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've had the 4.2 engine in an XF, and in my view it sounds pretty awesome and probably takes the mods a little better than the 5 litre exhaust, if engine note is your thing.
Myself and another 4.2L owner have discussed exhaust notes once or twice, and we concluded we love the 4.2 over the 5.0 in the actual sound. Seems Jag spent serious time tuning the sound or "growl" on the first generation, then shrugged off the effort on the 5.0 and made it sound all the Rustangs out there. The 5.0 has a far more raspy "bark" to its song, and I find it less unique overall.
The biased opinion of a couple 4.2 owners for what it is worth.....

Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Yeah, it might also be the smaller bore, but it had a lovely note. I had a paramount exhaust fitted to mine, and even the guys from the Aston part of the Jag dealership thought it sounded like an Aston. Turning up to collect it after the work was done and seeing a half dozen guys hanging around it while the service guy gave it the boot made me know it was money well spent.

The 5.0 is a lot more metallic in the noise, though the R sounds great over 3000rpm. I've had the resonators taken out and an x pipe put in, and it sounds wicked and nasty but the 4.2 still sounded better to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
So trying to understand the additional bang for the bigger bucks if I get an 09, 10, 11, 12, etc, I'm trying to take note of the major additions. Can someone add to this list?

- 07 : introduction of the XKR

- 08 : removal of the less-than-attractive antenna

- 09 :

- 10 : move from 4.2 to 5.0 V8 adding roughly 100 horses to the mix. Larger calipers and rotors up front (maybe in rear)? Stitching on the leather seats?

I'm basically stuck trying to figure out if I want to get a higher mileage 2010 with the bigger motor (~60-75k) or if I want to get a less used 08 (~25-35K miles). Would love any feedback.

Ideally, I would want to find a portfolio edition with the charcoal/ivory combo interior.

Here's the car you might want. Price is high, but car is like brand new. Here's the link. It has the colors you want and is a Portfolio Edition. This color combo is quite rare and I only know of one other member here with the same color combination. Proper pricing for this car should be about $46,000 to $50,000. It lacks the Alcon brake system and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The seller thinks he can command the higher price due to the low mileage. This car has been relisted many times on eBay because the dealer can't sell it at the high price.

Jaguar XK XKR Portfolio Convertible | eBay

2000_328ci (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

As well as the 5.0 engine, the 2010 XKR has a better gearbox (ZF 6HP28) with faster shifts and the ability to skip gears when shifting, fully variable electronic dampers vs. hard/soft on the 4.2, and the electronic limited-slip diff. It also has Dynamic Mode, where the whole suspension system, steering, diff, etc. 'toughens up' for performance driving, and Winter Mode for slippery conditions.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ngarara:
2000_328ci (04-30-2014), DGL (04-30-2014), Stuart S (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
[/B]
Here's the car you might want. Price is high, but car is like brand new. Here's the link. It has the colors you want and is a Portfolio Edition. This color combo is quite rare and I only know of one other member here with the same color combination. Proper pricing for this car should be about $46,000 to $50,000. It lacks the Alcon brake system and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The seller thinks he can command the higher price due to the low mileage. This car has been relisted many times on eBay because the dealer can't sell it at the high price.

Jaguar XK XKR Portfolio Convertible | eBay
That is ALMOST perfect.. the problem is it's a convertible. I'm hoping to find a coupe with a similar interior.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I am sure you will be happy with either one. Just make sure you chose one without the visible antenna....

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

4.2 vs 5.0 xkr.... my question too!!!
4.2 is tunable to 500bhp (paramount for example) but .... the 5.0 xkr goes for 600bhp with the same tuning. Stock they look alike and in normal days use the 4.2 will be more then ok I suppose....but that massive 5.0l engine with more than 500bhp... I don't know either!
choises....

2000_328ci (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Go for the 5.0. Interior is nicer, more options, newer car and final iteration of the XK.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

It's not a great idea to have high mileage and Jaguar in the same sentence. Try to go for the lowest mileage Jaguar you can afford and if you can afford a 2010 or newer, all the better.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Having had both an 08 xk and currently a 12 xk (sorry neither is an r). I think the 12 is an all around better vehicle. It is tighter, more powerful and benefits from being modified from the original design. Don't get me wrong I am not dissing the 09 and earlier, I just think the 10 and later is a superior vehicle.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

bocatrip,
Jaguars and high mileage are fully compatible so long as they're cared for properly. My 2002 XKR has 145,000 miles on it of which I'm responsible for about 85,000 in the last 4 years or so. It runs stronger and more trouble free now than it did when I bought it. Is it ideal, maybe not, but it's nothing to be afraid of if the service history is consistent and complete.

Attached Thumbnails XKR Major Differences Amongst the Years?-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Agreed - age more than 'normal' mileage is what causes problems, in my experience. The rubber & plastic components deteriorate with time, even on a low-mileage car..

Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided on the low mileage '08 portfolio (19k) with Alcon brakes and adaptive cruise.
The soft top is like no other I have been in. It is quite and simple
To operate. I've had this car for 2 months and am as happy with it now as I was the first day. I find it to be more powerful than I can use on the road. I loose my ----- before the car does. If you want to track it that might be different. I hope your search ends as well as mine did.

Quick Reply: XKR Major Differences Amongst the Years?