Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR or Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd think many Ford dealerships may loan you a Mustang over night FWIW.
Most WILL do this, but some sort of Proof of Worth is sometimes required, be it a credit check or a temporary deposit or the keys to your worthy current car (while parked at their dealership).
Sometimes just acting like a Gentleman (or Lady) will do the same thing. Proper language and courtesy is a big part of that.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Most WILL do this, but some sort of Proof of Worth is sometimes required, be it a credit check or a temporary deposit or the keys to your worthy current car (while parked at their dealership).
Sometimes just acting like a Gentleman (or Lady) will do the same thing. Proper language and courtesy is a big part of that.
I would leave my car at the dealership as that's how I got there and I need the open garage space for the demo car. When we test drove the XC60, I drove it to my house to make sure it fit in the garage.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Good to hear you got through that and back to health.

The Jaguar beats the Ford on looks and exclusivity but can you be bothered with the higher cost and lower reliability?

Graham

Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Just drove a 2019 performance pack 1 coupe automatic

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I've driven about 500 miles in the Ecoboost auto vert, and about 1000 miles in two different Mustang GT coupes, both auto; all 3 stangs were rental cars in the last 2 years. The 4 cylinder was impressive for a 4; but unless the manual really changes the game, I really found the GT substantially nicer. The power was more available and smoother. The ecoboost was like a lot of 4 cyl turbo motors, you have to wring it out a bit to get the go. The torque made the GT a substantially more enjoyable car. I've never cared for Mustangs, UNTIL the current gen GT; they really upped their game and eventually I'd like to add one.

The cool news is that you can EASILY rent a Mustang in 4 or 8 trim at most decently sized airports. If you want to try them out longer term than a quick test drive, it's a really nice way to get a real feel. It will be an auto for sure, but still better than 1 ten mile drive with a *********** lackey riding along.
I was blown away by its capabilities. It was even better than I thought it could be. They've got that 10 speed really dialed in. I'm at a local dealer to drive a 2010 XKR convertible for comparison. I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Default Drove the XKR convertible

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
I was blown away by its capabilities. It was even better than I thought it could be. They've got that 10 speed really dialed in. I'm at a local dealer to drive a 2010 XKR convertible for comparison. I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards.
The Jag's torque is almost silly. It caught me off guard, especially after driving the mustang.

The Stang corners far better than the Jag, which isn't at all surprising. The Jag was very vague on turn in in comparison. The Stang has the kind of responsiveness that inspires further exploration of limits of adhesion.

TheJag's ride is like butter in comparison. The seats are superior. I Iould easily live with either car. I'm typing this on my phone. I'll try to give more feedback later.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

It's been an hour already, WASSUP???

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

It's been an hour already, WASSUP???
You know that saying “Drive it like you stole it”, well maybe he did, so we won’t hear more until he crosses the border...

The following 3 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (04-09-2019), ralphwg (04-09-2019), tractioninc (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd think many Ford dealerships may loan you a Mustang over night FWIW.
No idea why, but my local Ford dealerships won't let me test drive a manual Mustang. Regardless of what I drive to get there. Unless I put non-refundable deposit to purchase one.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

The Jag was very vague on turn in in comparison.
Give F-type a try, handling vastly improved while only slightly degrading comfort of XK.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
No idea why, but my local Ford dealerships won't let me test drive a manual Mustang. Regardless of what I drive to get there. Unless I put non-refundable deposit to purchase one.
Wow. Do you look like a hoodlum or talk like a trucker on crack?

Not even an Accompanied Test Drive around the block??? That's just crazy. Maybe they sell so many that they don't NEED to let people put miles on 'em.

Me and the 'wife on loan' took an F-type for a good hour by ourselves. Course it WAS at a Jag dealer and I did park my XKR right in front of their door... The sign stated "Jaguar Parking Only".

Last edited by Cee Jay; 04-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:44 PM

alrighty. I have a few moments to spend to elaborate a bit on my driving impressions yesterday.

After thoroughly digesting my experience yesterday, I'm leaning STRONGLY toward the Stang, but it would have to be one with Performance Package 1. If it's a choice between a 2010-2015 XKR or a "standard" Mustang GT, I'd 100% take the Jag.

I drove 3 vehicles yesterday:
  • 1st I drove a 2016 GT Convertible with around 28K miles. To review, this vehicle has 435 hp and 400 hp of torque and is equipped with a 6 speed automatic tranny. I drove it up to about 8/10. It was solid. The trans was adequate. It did hang at upper RPM's in Sport Plus mode without upshifting at times, which was rather confusing, but at other times it shifted smoothly and neither intruded upon the driving experience or stood out in any way. Power from the motor was sprightly but not overwhelming. Cornering was mildly entertaining. This car is equipped with 235/18/50 rubber, an all season compound. To use modern terminology, the car was slightly warmed over the "meh" level. Keep in mind that I rented a car identical to it for over a week and drove the **** out of it across Nevada and California's deserts in late February, a perfect time of year to enjoy spirited mountain and desert driving in very mild temperatures, so I was accustomed to this vehicle's attributes and level of performance.
  • It just so happened that there was a brand-spanking new 2019 GT Performance Package 1 coupe on the lot equipped with a 10-speed automatic. I asked to drive that. My request was granted. To review, this package adds 6 piston Brembos, staggered 255/275 40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, a Torsen diff with 3:55's, and special tuning in the ECM for fuel and trans mapping to take advantage of the upgraded hardware. It also includes a K member brace, a valuable chassis stiffening component.

Folks, this car is a real thing, a proper car. I've driven very few cars in my life that present such an ideal driving experience. Much of it has to do with those tires. The turn in was on a level that put a heeuuge perma grin on my face. It was addictive to cut a corner in that thing. Then it is that trans. That trans is perhaps better than a DCT trans IMO at least any I've sampled. Here's a moment that really sold me: I was doing perhaps around 80 MPH in who knows which gear, in Sport Plus so it was holding the gear right in the sweet spot of torque, around 4,000 or so RPM, sort of holding the speed there for a moment. Then I gave it around 80 to 90 % throttle. When it upshifted at perhaps 95-100 MPH, it JERKED as it upshifted! Any of you remember driving modified muscle cars with massaged 3 speed auto's like TH400's? Remember that hard, jerky 1-2 shift? LIKE THAT, but at 100 MPH! It was glorious. Truly. There is no reason to consider a manual trans IMO. That 10 speed, in that car, was superlative. Never hunting. Never in the "wrong" gear. Always in the perfect ratio to take advantage of the torque curve.

The car is fast indeed, but it is very usable, tossable, confidence inspiring, begging to explore further its limits. Not once did I feel dismayed when using it hard, never taken off guard. Yes, it's a Mustang. Others have elaborated well in this thread on its shortcomings, in image, in appearance, interior deficiencies.
  • Just minutes later I was inside a black on black convertible 2010 XKR. I'm accustomed to Jag interiors, so I felt instantly at home. It was like coming home in the best way. I'll spare you guys the details of impressions you are well-accustomed to yourselves. I'll stick to what stood out in contrast and comparison to the PP1 Mustang

The XKR's torque overpowers its ability to adequately manage it. I was a bit shaken the first time I got into the throttle. At around 30 MPH I gave it around 70% throttle and was SIDEWAYS on the service road of Dallas North Tollway. My next thought was: "this car is scary". It's such a sleeper. So smooth. So stealthy. So deadly. I drove it around awhile and got acquainted with it. Around town, with mild applications of throttle it is as docile as a Cadillac Coupe deVille from days gone by. And as long as that go pedal is applied gradually, the torque delivery is manageable. Stabbing the throttle is dangerous, especially as compared to the Stang I had just driven. Much of this attributable to the differences in rubber compound no doubt, but there's also the chassis and the componentry of each. The Jag felt skittish, easy unsettled and somewhat jittery at speed in comparison. A great metaphor is that driving the Jag felt like the road had magically become invisibly wet, when with the PP1 Stang the ground felt almost sticky.

One last thing about this particular XKR. It has around 52K miles and presents well. BUT after driving around for awhile driving not too aggressively and then idling for a few minutes in a parking lot, it started giving off coolant level low and overheating warnings. I immediately shut it off and walked the two blocks back to the car lot. A CPO Stang sure seemed prudent while walking.
I could write more, but I need to do "work". In conclusion, I have decided that a PP1 GT Stang Convertible is tops on my wishlist. I may change my mind, as the Jag is definitely more comely and comfortable. But I can't get my mind off of that Stang. Remember those gals that liked it rough, and asked for rougher? That's what I'm talkin' about.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Hope you enjoy the mustang and we'll be waving to you or someone else or someone else as we'll see so many we won't know which one is yours. Enjoy the ride.
PS , kinda knew you were going for the ford.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
.................. going for the ford.
Yes, but for the best reason.
That big ole grin.

89 Jacobra (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The XKR's torque overpowers its ability to adequately manage it. I was a bit shaken the first time I got into the throttle. At around 30 MPH I gave it around 70% throttle and was SIDEWAYS on the service road of Dallas North Tollway...And as long as that go pedal is applied gradually, the torque delivery is manageable. Stabbing the throttle is dangerous, especially as compared to the Stang I had just driven. Much of this attributable to the differences in rubber compound no doubt, but there's also the chassis and the componentry of each. The Jag felt skittish, easy unsettled and somewhat jittery at speed in comparison. A great metaphor is that driving the Jag felt like the road had magically become invisibly wet, when with the PP1 Stang the ground felt almost sticky.
Putting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on the XKR should transform it.

My '10 XKR has over 600bhp now and I felt the same as you when I had the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx's on the car even when it was running the standard tune but putting the Michelin's on mine gave me the confidence to take it to the next level.

I think mentioned earlier in this thread that I got spooked by the Mustang I rented when the rear end fish-tailed when pulling out of a Mall car park so I think the 2019 would be similar to the XKR you drove with the wrong tires on it.

SuperTrav (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Do you look like a hoodlum or talk like a trucker on crack?
I wasn't on crack or driving a big rig when I pulled up to Ford dealership.

Me and the 'wife on loan' took an F-type for a good hour by ourselves. Course it WAS at a Jag dealer and I did park my XKR right in front of their door...
Jaguar dealer also treated me well and I am not even sure they noted my SL, as I parked it out of the way. Hence, partially why I am driving F-type now.

Cee Jay (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

In conclusion, I have decided that a PP1 GT Stang Convertible is tops on my wishlist. I may change my mind, as the Jag is definitely more comely and comfortable. But I can't get my mind off of that Stang.
Drive F-type. It is GT and XKR melded into a single car with almost no downsides.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Drive F-type. It is GT and XKR melded into a single car with almost no downsides.
+1

Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

F Type is a reasonable "affordable" buy as a used car. Good choice if just two seats are needed.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL, you guys have me wondering what I missed. I test drove a lightly-used, late model, manual transmission Mustang GT and Mustang Ecoboost before test driving and buying my XK 5.0 last spring. Compared to the XK the Mustangs felt enormous on the road, less agile, and less engaging to drive. The Mustangs' interior design and materials were disappointing. The GT was surely faster than the XK, but it didn't really feel that fast. I really wanted to like the Fords but I walked away disappointed. In fact, the only car that I test drove at that time that resonated with me more than the XK was a 911 Carrera--a star athlete of a car--but economics won out, and I decided on the Jag.

Cee Jay (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tractioninc
LOL, you guys have me wondering what I missed. I test drove a lightly-used, late model, manual transmission Mustang GT and Mustang Ecoboost before test driving and buying my XK 5.0 last spring. Compared to the XK the Mustangs felt enormous on the road, less agile, and less engaging to drive. The Mustangs' interior design and materials were disappointing. The GT was surely faster than the XK, but it didn't really feel that fast. I really wanted to like the Fords but I walked away disappointed. In fact, the only car that I test drove at that time that resonated with me more than the XK was a 911 Carrera--a star athlete of a car--but economics won out, and I decided on the Jag.
I'm in the same camp as you are, but the newest Mustang GT I took out was a 2017 and I was woefully disappointed with most of it. Are the newer Mustangs THAT much better than they were in 2017?

I'm also in the same camp as those who feel Mustangs are Too Pedestrian (and slamming INTO pedestrians, as per hundreds of YouTube videos show) and much too common to ever take as a serious vehicle.
Now, I own a couple Mustangs right now, and have had a few additional ones in the past and I DO like Mustangs, but more as an everyday type of ride and not my "I'm Cool" go-to vehicle.
At a party;
"I drive a Mustang"
Oh, gee, that's......... great........ So does my brother, sister, uncle, niece, cousin, great grand dad and my mom's hairdresser.
or;
"Yeah, it's a Jaguar"
Aw, man, that's COOL! Can I see it?

Maybe a little arrogant or pretentious, but hey, it's the way it is.

Quick Reply: XKR or Mustang GT