XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Rear Side Windows and soft top

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XKR Rear Side Windows and soft top

Just a thought. Has anyone ever fitted anything to put the rear windows up in one click of the button. Similar to dropping them in one touch?

Also has anyone ever moved the soft top button to a lower mounting? By the gear shift for example? How about the kit to drop the hood from the remote?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by unders
Just a thought. Has anyone ever fitted anything to put the rear windows up in one click of the button. Similar to dropping them in one touch?

Also has anyone ever moved the soft top button to a lower mounting? By the gear shift for example? How about the kit to drop the hood from the remote?

I am working on the remote hood kit. This was a much more difficult project to develop on the 2007+ models because the car was not envisioned to operate the top without the ignition on like the earlier models did.

I have a prototype now and hope to have it available later this year. It will also have a one touch feature for the switch inside the car so you do not have to hold it through the whole cycle.

The rear window control can also be done, but I have not decided whether to do a kit or post a how-to yet. It is also a different method than on the earlier models. I believe one other member (Astromorg) was also working on the rear window mod.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
amcdonal86 (08-07-2013), sherbercars (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I am working on the remote hood kit. This was a much more difficult project to develop on the 2007+ models because the car was not envisioned to operate the top without the ignition on like the earlier models did.

I have a prototype now and hope to have it available later this year. It will also have a one touch feature for the switch inside the car so you do not have to hold it through the whole cycle.

The rear window control can also be done, but I have not decided whether to do a kit or post a how-to yet. It is also a different method than on the earlier models. I believe one other member (Astromorg) was also working on the rear window mod.
In the 2007+ models, if you are putting the top up (or down) and you accelerate past 15 mph or so, I believe the top will stop in its present position. Have you been able to experiment with all of the different conditions that could cause issues with one touch operation? I imagine there are a lot!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
In the 2007+ models, if you are putting the top up (or down) and you accelerate past 15 mph or so, I believe the top will stop in its present position. Have you been able to experiment with all of the different conditions that could cause issues with one touch operation? I imagine there are a lot!
I may be able to add a feature to increase the speed a bit higher, maybe 25mph or so. You do not want to go too high or the wind might damage the top.

I have the hardware and basic principles working, but am in the software refinement stage, so I still have this and other experiments to do before it is ready for prime time.

The following users liked this post:
intdiamond (08-12-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I may be able to add a feature to increase the speed a bit higher, maybe 25mph or so. You do not want to go too high or the wind might damage the top.

I have the hardware and basic principles working, but am in the software refinement stage, so I still have this and other experiments to do before it is ready for prime time.
I suggest you install a windmill to calculate headwinds. Perhaps if you had a 40mph tailwind, you could put the top up/down at 55mph!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep holding it is a pain, one touch would be better and worth paying for. The not working unless your not driving is annoying too. Aston can drop the hood at 30mph no problem. I think you need a little sense with this, if its blowing a gale why drop the hood anyway.

Look forward to the remote device. Just done a few mods to the bodywork. Fitted a Mina rear wing and just about to fit the rest of the RS bumpers etc.