XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Headlight aiming on a 140

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight aiming on a 140

I have a set of Lucas PL700 headlights on my cat that I purchased back in the late 60's. Back on the road now, I have been unsatisfied with the aim beam for some time so tried readjusting with the bright spots marked and measured on a wall then backing car up 25' and adjusting per universal instructions. Did Jag use a different measurement as now the low beams are more than satisfactory but highs show up the owls in the trees! I can try adjusting them down in increments but fear the lows will then not project far enough. Anybody got any ideas or what the Jag specific specs are?

Thanks
XK2XJ

Old 07-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Lucas used to produce something called a beam setter, sold to garages doing roadworthiness tests, but they may not have got to the US, but there should be similar equipment in US shops. Essentially, you need the main beam to be OK and will just have to accept that the dip may not show enough of the road compared to a modern car. Things were different then, with hugely less traffic on the roads so main beam could be used far more often, with dip in town where there would be street lights. Alignment left-right needs to be correct too, of course.