XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Intermediate Timing Gear End Float

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermediate Timing Gear End Float

Hello Everybody,

So, I'm rebuilding the engine in my '56 XK140MC FHC, and have replaced the intermediate timing gear. The shaft looks good, so I just cleaned and polished it. The shaft goes through the gear (large gear to the front) and into the back mounting plate, and is held by a circlip in the groove on the shaft that protrudes through the back of the mounting plate.

Seems simple enough; however, I have seen in updated parts diagrams that there are shims [C16626 (.003")] that are to be used on the end of the shaft between the shoulder on the shaft and the aluminum back mounting plate "as needed". It seems to me the purpose of these shims is to make sure that the circlip on the back of the mounting plate is snug against the plate so the shaft doesn't move forward and backward in the plate, which could put pressure on the gear as it spins on the shaft.

I purchased a couple of these shims and am able to get 2 of them on the shaft, which puts the circlip nice and snug against the back of the mounting plate. I'm thinking that this is what is meant to use the shims "as needed", but I haven't found any guidance in any of the manuals I have. The shaft doesn't move forward and backward at all in the mounting plate; however, the intermediate gear now has a bit of float on the shaft.

I'm sure some of you experienced Jag engine builders have encountered this before, so, I thought I'd just toss this on the table for a bit of advice. Any advice will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Borron