XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Traveling Light with No Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling Light with No Clutch!

Light on time, light on tools! I am heading out to the islands to check up on my father's '53 120. My dad passed this last November and left the car to me. The car had sat for about four years prior to his passing and I was out there just long enough to get it running, rebuilding the fuel pump. Upon getting it running I found that the clutch is on need of some service. The pedal depresses fine and there is a little tension but the clutch will not retract and allow the transmission to engage. Car has been garage stored the whole way and was looked after pretty well up to about ten years ago when I left the island and dad retired. Mom's moving and we need to move the car at the same time. Fifteen years ago this auto went through a full frame off restoration by the great crew up in Canada at RM. it was Concourse 1st Driven class at a show in Detroit two years in a row after that. I have been working on cars, including this one, since I was quite young (learned how to work a torque wrench after putting a bolt through the cam cover) and have a pretty good idea of what I am doing (now). What I am asking of this community is any insight that it might be able to provide in way of what possibilities might be involved in reworking the clutch and also anything else I should be looking for before getting it on the road. I have only a few days in Maui and I would like to have a better idea of what I am getting into because anything in the way of parts or tools could really slow me down. Thank you in advance for any insight you might provide.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds like the disc is stuck to the flywheel. There are several methods of freeing it but without tools (as you say) then driving it out seems your best bet. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Default Have tools, will travel

Didn’t mean to mislead, I have a small collection of tools on the island, basic gear, just not going to be at home in my own garage. Should be able to drop the transmission alright, knowledge of specialty tools is what I’m looking for. Cheers for the quick reply!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Might be a bit of a long shot but...............
Can you loosen the bell housing bolts enough to pull it back a little, creating enough space to get a long thin (ish) bladed screwdriver or the like between it and the pressure plate?
Jam the clutch down with a length of 2" x 4"
You might then be able to turn the engine, or have someone else do it on the crank bolt (take the plugs out first) and using a gentle twisting motion release the clutch plate off the flywheel or pressure plate, whichever half it's stuck on.

I see you say it is running.
Have you tried putting it in top gear, then starting the engine to see if it 'breaks' the bonding?
Make sure nothings in front of you though, wouldn't want to see that lovely car mashed at the front.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

If the putting it in top gear and starting it works to free the clutch off, then keep the brakes on hard and ride the clutch to clear off any debris that may still be hanging around on the plates.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I had that with a ‘S’ type. I jacked up the back wheels then started the car with the car in gear, rev the engine up then stamp on the brakes with the lunch pedal depressed, it took a few times but eventually it separated.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM

These all sound like a good place to start. I will be out there in two weeks and I’ll let you all know how it goes. Thank you all for your support and advice!