XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$13.99 Third brake light repair.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default $13.99 Third brake light repair.

I have just received the new LED strip from Oznium. I have already made the splice of the Jag connection to the Oznium LED and it worked fine. I'm now in the process of installing the LED into the Jag assembly. I'll post the pics when finished.

oznium.com
piranaha bar
10 inch red
$ 8.99 per LED bar
$ 4.20 shipping

Install and rebuild time 3 hours max. That is if all of the brittle plastics don't start to disintigrate in you hands while removing. Which mine did.

I'm now waiting for the epoxy to cure and paint to dry then I'll reassemble and post pics.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyo007
I have just received the new LED strip from Oznium. I have already made the splice of the Jag connection to the Oznium LED and it worked fine. I'm now in the process of installing the LED into the Jag assembly. I'll post the pics when finished.

oznium.com
piranaha bar
10 inch red
$ 8.99 per LED bar
$ 4.20 shipping

Install and rebuild time 3 hours max. That is if all of the brittle plastics don't start to disintigrate in you hands while removing. Which mine did.

I'm now waiting for the epoxy to cure and paint to dry then I'll reassemble and post pics.
My assembly on the driver's side is broken where it slips (or should) into that piece that's attached to the rear window. The plastic that surrounds the metal clip is shot. I also have 2 LEDs out, the third from the left and the third from the right. At least they match!!

Any leads on the part that the LEDs fit into, that part fits onto the rear window? At the present time the passenger's side is Ok and I have something supporting the driver's side so the unit stay pretty much flush with the window but it will slide away from the rear window if you have the driver's window open (the air pushes it away from the rear window).

Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Hopefully my wife will bring the camera back home and I can take pictures of how I have repaired the same clip that you have described. Basically all i did was to add a new plastic angle to the assembly and JB welded the piece in place. That way the whole assembly will slip over the clips on the back window. Its an ugly fix but you can't see it and it worked.

I have also started to use Lock tite 7 min plastic epoxy on all the plastic parts I pull off that stay in one piece. I'll mix the 2 parts and just brush the back of the part with a thin layer of epoxy just to add some regidity to the parts. Kinda like fibreglas resin without the fibreglas.

But the 10" piranaha bar looks darn near identical to the jag piece. As you will see I choose to leave the new bar inside the acrylic tube that is part of the new assembly and cut the clips off the clear portion of the jag part that now holds the jag LED's. Damit I need that camera!!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Pictures are in the photo album/ photo gallery, under "Third tail light repair" I do not yet know how to get them in this thread. Anyone who knows how is welcome to place them here.

The sequence was pretty simple.
1. remove assembly from rear window by pulling up along the window.
2. disconnect the electrical harness.
3. after removing from the car, remove the lense assembly from the trim sham.
4. cut the Jag harness from the old LED at soldier joints.
5. cut clear stand offs away from the clear lense, on the old part.
6. discard old LED assembly.
7. connect the old Jag harness to the new Oznium LED. Put on your readers and you'll see the polarity on the new LED's. Do not remove the new LED assembly out of the acrylic tube.
8. place two rows of 1/4" black double sided tape on the Jag assembly. You will do this on the flat portion right behind the lens and below the old led strip.
9. attach the new Oznium LED tube, with the lead on the same side as the harness in the car, between the old lense and the two black supports. Essentially stick the new LED where the old LED's were removed.
10. now the hard part. you will need to slightly rotate the new LED strip up slightly. You'll see what I mean. Otherwise the LED's will be to low in relationship to the lenses.
11. once you are satisfyied with the location, centered and rolled, stick it to the tape.
12. reassemble the components and make you connections. reinstall and there you are finished.

I choose to paint some of the faded components but for only $14.00 this was a nice repair.

Last edited by daddyo007; 10-20-2009 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (02-04-2017)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Great job! I wonder if they would work in the convertible 3rd light too?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM

As long as the 10" bar fits I'm sure it would. But for $14.00 I would give it a try. Even so the Oznium Piranha Bar does come with standoffs for mounting.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully my wife will bring the camera back home and I can take pictures of how I have repaired the same clip that you have described. Basically all i did was to add a new plastic angle to the assembly and JB welded the piece in place. That way the whole assembly will slip over the clips on the back window. Its an ugly fix but you can't see it and it worked.
Thanks for the pictures. I'll look for a piece of plastic so I can fix mine too. The lights are pretty bright.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3rd light stopped working recently. From your post, I didn't quite understand what all you purchased. I went to the oznium website, just unsure what to buy. I have removed my 3rd brake light. I get the correct voltage to the plug when brake is applied/released, so I am guessing my light assembly is bad. My car is a 1997 XK-8 Coupe with 38K on it. I have owned it for about 5 years. Color is Anthracite. Thanks! Jim

Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Super Thin LED Tube

Buy this 8" tube in red. Look at my write up of how I chose to do this. You my do it differently, there is no right or wrong way of doing it. What ever works for you.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Pictures are in the photo album/ photo gallery, under "Third tail light repair" I do not yet know how to get them in this thread. Anyone who knows how is welcome to place them here.
Here you go

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! if I ever have to re-do it, I will order that, I'm still tempted to order one and do it over. I bought a 12" strip of LED's locally for $10 and installed it. I like the way yours looks better than mine. The biggest reason that I will probably leave it alone is, one side of the bracket broke and I super-glued it. It's holding very well, however, I don't think it could take an uninstall without breaking again. You really did an awesome job. Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I have one of the approximately 12 LED's / lights out in my original one, so I'll be doing this relatively soon.

Daddyo007: Now that you've had this repair for several years is it still trouble free? No issues with double sided tape holding it in the correct orientation through summers and winters, no false brake-like-out warnings due to potentially different resistance from the original light, or anything you'd do differently? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Nothing to report on the negative side. All is well!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED 3rd Brake Light Replacement.

daddyo007, Took your advice, ordered one and will try it. Hope these will be bright enough.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 AM

They should be plenty bright enough. As of today mine are still working Aug 7 2012. No issues.

Goldlion (08-12-2012)
Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which to Buy?

DaddO

Attempting to repair my third brake light now, removed assembly, broke cheap plastic taps, repaired and got ready to purchase light bar to replace OEM LED panel. Where I'm confused is when I look at your pictures you show what appears to be a white LED tube. What do you recommend I purchase to replace the OEM panel? Should I get white or red led's
Thanks. SS

Old 12-26-2013, 05:09 PM

I bought the white LED because I reused the OEM red lens. I figured there is some government spec on the color red, therefore I did not want the "MAN" hassling me because my brake lights were different colors!

sshowell99 (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks, did the same, Oznium has new LED bars out, went with the 20" white bar, cut in half and it fits perfectly. They do not make a 10" anymore. The cost for the bar to include shipping has gone up to about $25, but it's worth it. Waiting for mount to set then I'll reinstall in the car, will post pics later on.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Ah! the benefit of owning a coupe....Finally finished the third brake light, took me a couple of trial-by-error attempts but I finally got the right combination. Here's what I found out. With Oznium's new LED bar the white light bar is way too bright, recommend anyone using this product order the red LED bar, the white LED bar completely blows out the red lens to where it looks almost reddish-purple. Ended up spray painting the white LED bar red and now it looks like the stock light. Really enjoyed the brittle plastic experience, had to repair the light cover 3 times, recommend everyone attempting this project use extreme caution when dealing with the plastic components, well anyway I'm back on the road. Happy New Year everybody!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

is the part to order Waterproof SMD Bar from Oznium?
My third brake light went out, and my mechanic didnt have time to test the bulbs, but i want to order a bar to have on hand as i feel that is what the issue is...

Quick Reply: $13.99 Third brake light repair.