XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1500 xk8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Definitely do! They're great cars. I prefer the xkr to xk8 for several reasons, not just the performance, but a fire sale like that would have had me buying. A 5hp24 is not easy to rebuild compared to a 4l60, but still very doable. I prefer the W5A580/722.6 in the pre03 XKR to it, but come on, $1500!

As far as the cam sensor, I'd run the ob2 scanner on it, see what's up and if it runs solid, I'd give it a go. My biggest concern would be just making sure the motor runs, other than that, a lot can be fixed.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always take the scanner to a potential vehicle sale, it tells a lot!
There was something "off" with this guy though. Scant replies to emails and then with vague answers. It took him all day to reply to a text pretty much, and so on. As soon as you started to ask specific questions, the replies died off.
I will keep my eyes open though, as it seems I have the "bug" now! Thinking a soft top XK would make a nice summer cruiser.....

Martin

Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Lots of scams on CL; ran into a few when I was looking for my XK8, including the classic "I'm in the military and the car is in storage in Nebraska, etc." Saw one for sale locally, called the guy up and was told to call back the next day. No answer to phone calls, emails, etc. and the car is still up for sale on CL. Buyer beware!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
Lots of scams on CL; ran into a few when I was looking for my XK8, including the classic "I'm in the military and the car is in storage in Nebraska, etc." Saw one for sale locally, called the guy up and was told to call back the next day. No answer to phone calls, emails, etc. and the car is still up for sale on CL. Buyer beware!
That same scam one was listed in the Richmond, VA CL and reported it to CL in July and today its still there. Guess CL doesn't give a crap.

Dave

Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
I always take the scanner to a potential vehicle sale, it tells a lot!
There was something "off" with this guy though. Scant replies to emails and then with vague answers. It took him all day to reply to a text pretty much, and so on. As soon as you started to ask specific questions, the replies died off.
I will keep my eyes open though, as it seems I have the "bug" now! Thinking a soft top XK would make a nice summer cruiser.....

Martin
I get you there. I have one rule that I never deviate from, if something feels off, walk away. I deviated once and ended up with a giant turd. I do all my own stuff like you do and broken stuff is nothing but negotiating material! But I have to feel the seller is genuine; if they're honest and upfront, I'll buy their car with a rod knock, bad transmission, etc.

When you buy an XK, I recommend the R for a couple reasons, but seriously hang out here on JaguarForums and research and form your own opinion. They're fun and they're great daily drivers. Affordable for parts and relatively easy to work on.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM

The problem with the XKR is admission price.
I have enough projects right now, and looking at getting a new wheeling rig as well. Now I know I wont have to be all alone in an LSx install (like on the Rover), it's going to be tempting to find a clean one with either a junk motor or junk transmission. For cheap though, I'll take it on. Just cant justify spending close to $10k for another vehicle.
I have spent all day thus far making a lower radiator mount to my satisfaction, for the new aluminum radiator/fan assembly that is going into my LSx Rover. Little things like that take up a LOT of time!
We looked at the Jags when we were contemplating either an A6, a newer Rover or a Jag, all for my wifes daily driver. We ended up with a newer Rover, but the Jags have always impressed me. Must be a sucker for punishment?

Martin

Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it sounds like a good deal in parts alone. If you want an XK8/LS go for it but that is not exactly cheap and I wouldn't do that if you were only looking on a dollar basis.

For an LS1 swap you will be into it another $6k or so once you consider the donor car and everything else you will need to buy. At that price you are near XKR "admission price" and the XKR is going to have a little more power and more importantly better gearing and quite a bit more low end torque. You can get an LS engine with more power than an XKR but you are going to have to go to a later model LS motor or crate engine to do that and that will drive costs up even more.

Don't get me wrong this is way cool, and I was looking into it but it won't end up being cheap.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sigh,I was watching one on craigslist, black on black 1999, my favorite color combo. Looked clean-inside and out, Top worked great, bad motor 99k on clock..2600$. I tried to look around to see what I could sell for some cash, but, alas, someone bought it. I was bummed. If it wasn't the exact color combo I was looking for, I wouldn't have been so excited about it. A friend has a 1999 in silver, I think he is asking more than I could afford, but at least I get to drive it for an hour or so....Good luck on your search!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM

I will keep looking, but for under the $2k mark, I would have a good candidate!
I can get a LS motor and trans for under $1500, or a big power LS/trans combo for around $3k.
While I am outside redoing the wiring on my Range Rover LSx......I am thinking this why? LOL

Martin